new one to here, how to choose a new mattress

hi everyone
I am Mimei0130, new to the forum, i have consider to purchase a new mattress, while i have 2 problem before to do it.

1. i have accessed to a dozen of mattress websites, there are latex, hybrid, coil and foam mattress, i prefer to latex and foam, well which one is more comfortable, due to My husband and I both got allergies how about smell.
  2. The return policy. some of the vendors offer 30 days return policy, what if the vendors reject my return, how to avoid it?
    best regards

Hi Mimei0130,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

It wouldn’t be possible for me to be able to predict what mattress might be the most “comfortable” for you, as that is quite a subjective process with many variables involved. But I can assist with “how” to choose.

The first place to look for guidance would be the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

When you can’t test a mattress in person, then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions, along with any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

A good place to start looking online would be to use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Before making any purchase decisions, I strongly recommend a detailed phone conversation with any business/manufacturer you are considering, and one of the things you should do during that phone call is to become completely familiar with any potential return/exchange policies that may be offered, and make sure that you completely understand all of the steps that they say you need to follow. When mattresses or components need to be returned to a manufacturer, they usually require those items to be clean and free of defects. If you are returning latex layers, make sure you handle the latex properly, as if you pull too hard on it you can tear the latex. Also, be sure to follow completely the packaging instructions of anything you are returning. And when using your new mattress, make sure that you are keeping it clean using some sort of a mattress pad or mattress protector.

Phoenix

ths for your suggestion

best regards

Hi Mimei0130,

You’re welcome.

Phoenix