New pocket sprung mattress

I recently purchased a new pocket sprung mattress which is very comfortable but, it makes me intensely hot within minutes of getting into bed. I have put a topper on it to see if it makes any difference but is still the same. My previous mattress was a budget one with open coil springs and I was never to hot with that. I would like any advice on what I can do if anything about it. I want to spend as little money as possible replacing it as it cost me well over ÂŁ200. My only thought would be to revert back to one with open coil springs. Any help would be appreciated.

j12asp:

In order to make any sort of specifically detailed response, it would be necessary to have a complete listing of all of the materials and layers of the old and the new mattress. Without that, I can only offer some general information.

Air flow is the key thing to consider with a mattress sleeping relatively “neutral” - helping to dissipate heat and humidity. There are a few areas to address.

• Softness of product. The softer the mattress, the more you sink in and the more you are insulated (regardless of the material used in the mattress), and the less area you have available for heat exchange. Softer mattresses tend to sleep warmer than harder mattresses, as you sleep “in” a softer mattress more and you tend to be more “atop” a harder mattress.

• Comfort layers breathability. Some comfort materials breathe more than others. Generally, latex tends to be quite breathable, followed by most polyfoams and then memory foams. The more the layer is compressed, the less breathable is becomes, as the open cell structure is closed off.

• Support core. Innerspring support cores tend to flow more air than solid foam support cores (latex or polyfoam). Non-wrapped springs (Bonnell, LFK, offset) will flow more air than fabric encased springs, but fabric encased springs will still allow for quite a bit of air flow.

-Mattress pad or protector. Avoid any sort of mattress pad or protector using PVC, plastic or vinyl layers, as these will not breathe. Polyurethane films can provide good moisture barriers, and still allow for some breathability.

• Sheets. Something that is good a breathing and exhibiting adsorbent characteristics will make a large difference. Viscose based fibers (rayon, lyocell (Tencel)) with a good weave can flow quite a bit of air and help transport humidity across their yarns.

So, your current mattress could be sleeping warmer for a few different reasons. You could be sinking into the product more (softer or a higher volume of comfort material, pocketed spring unit allowing for more point elasticity versus your old mattress). There could be some comfort materials that don’t breathe as well as your old mattress. You could have changed your sheets and/or mattress pad material. You also might be placing your mattress atop a platform or box that might not allow for as much air flow as your old configuration. Or it could be a combination of all of these things. Even the ticking of your new mattress might not breathe as well as your old product. I can only guess as to the cause. But with the information I’ve provided you should be able to make an educated diagnosis.

Thank you for the in depth reply. I wasn’t expecting that much information and much appreciated.