new purchase

help,
never thought buying a new mattress would be this hard.
have it boiled down to 3. S&F mid range, Saatva, or Serta approx $1200.
Any advice?

Hi chuck,

[quote]never thought buying a new mattress would be this hard.
have it boiled down to 3. S&F mid range, Saatva, or Serta approx $1200.
Any advice? [/quote]

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (either the shorter or longer version) which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones. I would avoid the major brands such as Stearns & Foster and Serta (see the guidelines here).

You can see some thoughts and feedback about Saatva in post #1 here and the rest of the topic and a forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. In very general terms for most people it would be a “better than average” quality/value choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers but it wouldn’t be in the same “quality/value” range as many of the other options that most of the members here would know about as a result of the information on the site.

Phoenix

I have done some more research but am not convinced I am any more informed. I understand why you advise staying away from the established big brands.
Having read all the comments on Saatva, I believe they may deliver somewhat more of an increase in value for the price, but may not equal what their advertising promises.
I am very curious about your comment on choices other than Saatva that deliver greater value and better materials for the money. if you or other members could recommend a couple, I would be extremely grateful. I reside in the Chicago western suburbs if that helps.
thanks in advance for your assistance.
Dazed and Confused

Hi chuck,

If you have spent an hour or two reading the tutorial then as sad as it is you would be more informed about mattresses and the materials inside them than the large majority of salespeople in the mainstream industry.

I would agree with this if you are comparing them to the major manufacturers that are most commonly available in the mainstream industry but as I mentioned in my previous reply for most people they wouldn’t be in the same value range as some of the options that the members here are aware of as a result of the information on the site.

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers, or materials because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know which type of mattress design or materials would be best for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that … the tutorial post includes two links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Chicago area (subject to the value guidelines I linked) are listed in posts #2 and #4 here and if you are in reasonable driving distance I would make sure you include My Green Mattress/Quality Sleep in your research. They are one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Phoenix