New to mattress shopping - overhyping latex and blindly buying?

Hello,

I have been researching mattresses for several days and this site has been immensely helpful in that area. I am getting married and planning a move at the same time and finding the right mattress that would be a good fit for both of us is difficult. My problem is because of the COVID situation, we have no way of testing out mattresses in person and we do need a bed ASAP after moving.

My partner is 280lbs and I am 130lbs. He is a back sleeper and I am a combo sleeper. We are both generally health with not much pressure issues. He has tried foam beds before and dislike how warm it is while I dislike the feeling of spring mattresses, especially ones that have aged badly.

I am eyeing a 8" or 10" latex mattress with unglued layers so that we could configure it as we go. My fear is that we would buy a “quality” mattress that we end up not liking because we weren’t able to try it out.

My take from researching is that organic latex mattress is a good investment. But I worry that I am overhyping in my mind how good latex is and that we would be able to find our “dream” bed with a configurable one.

Are we being too hasty in jumping to invest in a latex mattress that we both have no experience with? Would it be a better decision to opt for a budget bed in a box ($300-$500) we could discard in a year or two if needed and then look at our options once we can shop for a mattress in person?

Or is there a pretty good chance that we’ll get the best sleep possible during COVID and perhaps the next decade ahead by blindly splurging on a customizable latex mattress?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Hi Cassyu,

Latex mattresses are made with rubber and therefor are springy similar to a coil spring mattress. Some people also find them hotter that spring mattresses because they are made of solid rubber and offer superior support. This can be reduced by the wool that’s quilted inside the cover which helps regulate heat and humidity, or by adding a machine washable merino wool mattress protector

A customizable mattress will offer you more firmness option but latex has to be experience at least once to really get an idea of the exceptional support and unique comfort it offers.

I suggest you wait to be able to try a latex mattress before spending a few thousand dollars on something that may not be right for you. I you need a mattress now, then a bed in box is a good temporary option until things get back to a new normal.

Did I answer all your question?

Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!

Mario

I tried several memory foam and gel mattresses in store to get their feel. After research I decided to look into latex mattresses. I did not have the option to try a latex mattress unless I drove over an hour and a half away, as I am in rural Kentucky. I asked lots of questions and researched the densities and “feel” of the different types of latex, Dunlop and Talalay, and their ILD, Impression Load Deflection. This led me to go out on a limb and buy a latex mattress without ever laying on one. When I designed my bed with the materials offered by Arizona Premium Mattress(APM), I asked Ken at APM what he thought and he suggested I tweak it a bit, according to my comfort needs and ability to rearrange the layers for the ability to create different feels if I desire. I have my bed now and it is absolutely amazing, my wife and I both love it!
The build I used is: 8" coils L&P combi zone, 2" Dunlop latex (medium), 3" Talalay (plush), 13" bamboo with wool, zippered mattress cover.
It is the most amazing bed I have slept on in my life. I hope this information helps you, TMU and the members were instrumental in my decision on what I purchased. As other members have stated, do not be surprised when you spend hours on self education for the materials, etc., it is normal. Happy hunting!