New topper needed above 3 layers of Talalay latex (28/36/44 ILD)

Hi benjammin,

That’s unfortunate. I think it will be a while before it’s widely available but it would sure be nice to test it out.

I’m looking forward to testing it myself. There’s 4 outlets within an hour of me that carry PLB and I’m hoping that one of them carries them so I can check them for myself out in the next few weeks.

Phoenix

Last week, I contacted one of the local manufacturers in my area that specializes in latex mattresses regarding Talalay GL - here’s their opinion:

“We got samples of GL in last week. We felt it was lightweight, boardy, and dry feeling. We had planned to use it on a build, but probably won’t unless people really want it. If you want it, we can get it, but as of right now we likely will not be stocking it.”

Unfortunately, not very promising…

Hi LAsleeper,

You’re right … that doesn’t sound great. That’s the first real negative I’ve heard though (in these early stages) and I’m still hoping to test it out myself.

I think there’s a lot of latex “purists” whose initial reaction may not be so good along the lines of “why make latex like memory foam” but like all things there will be some who love it. I’m sure interested in hearing any and all feedback at this point though and I appreciate you passing on his comments.

I also plan to talk with a Latex International rep next week who is currently in China and I will be asking him about it as well.

Phoenix

LA Sleeper, thanks for the information. Phoenix, anything more you can find out about it would be great. Also, if you have any luck finding out whether the Cymax is real, genuine Sensus memory foam would be very helpful.

Arizona mattress did post this about possible exchanges:

I would allow the exchange for another 3″ topper however I would request that you keep the original zippered cover to use on the replacement topper. All shipping costs would be paid by you but we do have good UPS rates. Natural Organic Latex Mattresses in Phoenix, AZ

Hi benjammin,

I just saw your question on the Arizona Mattress website and I think that the exception he is making to his normal topper policy is very fair. It would certainly give anyone who is deciding between the Talalay GL and “regular” latex a chance to try it and then switch it out for another option at a reasonable cost. They also sell memory foam toppers as well so that would be another “switch” option although I don’t know the density.

In regards to the Sensus on the Cymax site …

I didn’t get a return call from either one so I will try to follow up in the coming week. It’s amazing to me sometimes how poor some companies are at returning calls with more “difficult” questions. It’s like they don’t want people to know.

As before … if I get any further information I’ll post it here.

Phoenix

Well, here’s an update three years later. Against my better judgment, we bought a 2.5" novaform gel topper from Costco because it was a “good deal”. The quality has not been good. I think it needs to be replaced. Actually, it probably should have been replaced at least a year ago.

1. So, what’s the best price/quality combination for a 5lb.+ memory foam similar to Sensus? We’d likely need 3". If people re-read the thread, we had 3" of Sensus that worked well for eight years…
  2. If we go with latex would Puralux 3" 20ILD be a potentially good choice? We’ve been reasonably comfortable on 28 ILD Talalay in the past for a short time. At least there seems to be a good price available for it online.
  3. We have a 150+ pound dog and a 60+ pound dog that jump on the bed so we need something durable.
  4. We probably need a new cover as well with a zipper to hold the layers together. Anyone have anything they’ve liked that wasn’t too expensive? It would need to hold 12" of layers.
  5. Our three layers of Talalay (44, 36, and 28) seem to be in good shape after eleven years.

It’s good to be back. I’ve always enjoyed reading the posts here and in previous mattress forums.

Hi benjammin,

[quote]Well, here’s an update three years later.

It’s good to be back. I’ve always enjoyed reading the posts here and in previous mattress forums. [/quote]

Thanks for the update … and welcome back :slight_smile:

Different people would have very different definitions of the “best price/quality” depending on the properties of the memory foam they prefer (density, temperature sensitivity, response time, firmness/softness, ventilation/cooling, and others) and on all the other parts of the “:value” of a topper purchase that are important to them (including price, return/exchange policies and cost involved, delivery cost and time, and the knowledge and the guidance they provide) so there really isn’t one “best” answer to your question.

Having said that post #4 here includes a list of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of. They would all be knowledgeable about how the memory foam they sell compares to others on the market and if they are familiar with Sensus then they would also be able to help you compare their memory foam to Sensus as well. Two of them (Rocky Mountain Mattress and Sleep Warehouse) also sell Sensus memory foam if you want to stay with something that you are familiar with.

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can also help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

[quote]2. If we go with latex would Puralux 3" 20ILD be a potentially good choice? We’ve been reasonably comfortable on 28 ILD Talalay in the past for a short time. At least there seems to be a good price available for it online.
3. We have a 150+ pound dog and a 60+ pound dog that jump on the bed so we need something durable.[/quote]

All latex would make a durable choice compared to other types of foam materials and Puralux is among the lower priced versions of latex available so if cost is the primary factor then it would make a good choice. Based on your previous comments 20 ILD would probably be “in the range” that could work for you although it will be less resilient than the talalay you are sleeping on and the only way to know for sure will be based on your actual sleeping experience. Your previous comments also indicated that sleeping directly on the 28 ILD latex in your mattress wasn’t “too bad” so you may not need an additional 3" and 2" (a “little to a fair bit” of additional softness and pressure relief) may work well. In very general terms thicker toppers are more pressure relieving but can also be more risky in terms of alignment.

The component post also includes the better sources for covers I’m aware of as well and some of the more stretchy knit covers are listed in post #4 here. There is more about the pros and cons of a quilted cover vs a thinner stretch knit cover in post #12 here.

There are also some comments about the SleepEZ cover here and here and the Mattresses.net cover here.

Phoenix

Thank you. It seems that us having a 3" 28 ILD Blended Talalay layer as a little firm means we would need to go a little softer for the top layer.

Does that mean Dunlop latex is pretty much out for that top layer as it might not be softer, regardless of a lower ILD or would a lower ILD continuous pour (not 100% natural) Dunlop layer likely be “softer” than a 28 ILD blended talalay layer?

Hi benjammin,

Dunlop latex comes in a wide range of firmness levels and both molded Dunlop and continuous pour Dunlop are available in ILD ranges that would be softer than a 28 ILD Talalay layer although continuous pour Dunlop is generally available in softer versions than molded Dunlop.

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is more of a preference choice than a “better/worse” choice and there is more about the difference between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

I would also keep in mind that ILD’s may not be comparable between different types and blends of latex (see post #6 here) so a specific ILD with one type of latex may not feel the same in terms of firmness/softness as another type of latex even though it may be “rated” as having the same ILD.

When you are purchasing layers that you haven’t tested in person then the return or exchange policies of the store you are buying from would become a more important part of your purchase.

Knowledgeable and experienced retailers and manufacturers can also give you good guidance about how the latex they sell would compare to other types and blends of latex that they are familiar with.

Phoenix

How would you compare these comfort layers?

1. 3" Sensus Memory Foam 5lb (13 ILD)
  2. 3" 28 ILD Blended Talalay 3.7 lbs/ft3 density
  3. 3" 18 ILD 100% Natural Latex Dunlop Continuous Pour Process 4,0lb/ft3 density
    4, 2" 19 ILD Blended Talalay 3.0 lbs/ft3 density

So would the higher density of the Natural Dunlop, despite a lower ILD than the 28 ILD Blended Talalay actually feel firmer as a comfort layer?

Hi Benjamin

How they compare would depend entirely on what they were on top of and once you start adding layers underneath them then there would be many “it depends” in the answer because the deeper layers would affect the feel and performance of the top layers differently for different body types and sleeping positions.

If you had the layers on a floor so that they were all by themselves and weren’t being affected by any other layers above or below them and assuming that the latex ILD’s were comparable (which may not be the case between different types and blends of latex) and also considering that I haven’t done a side by side test with these specific layers on the floor in person and in “real time” (which is the only way for a particular person to accurately compare them) … I would probably rate the latex layers as follows from softest to firmest …

1. 3" 18 ILD 100% Natural Latex Dunlop Continuous Pour Process 4,0lb/ft3 density
  2. 3" 28 ILD Blended Talalay 3.7 lbs/ft3 density
    4, 2" 19 ILD Blended Talalay 3.0 lbs/ft3 density (this would probably feel the firmest for most people even though it would be the softest material because it’s thinner and you would “go through” it more easily and feel more of the firmness of the floor underneath it)

ILD’s with memory foam are mostly meaningless when they are compared to other materials because ILD testing protocols produce different results with slow response materials compared to fast response materials and they also change with response time, temperature, humidity and with how long they are continuously compressed (it would get softer over longer periods of compression) but it would probably be closest to the 18 ILD Dunlop although this would be somewhat subjective because of the different properties and “sensations” of memory foam that would affect how people “rated” it compared to latex.

Phoenix

Thanks so much! I’m trying to make this more complicated than I should. We were able to use a 3" Sensus top layer effectively for eight years so the more smart thing (which my wife pointed out to me, ha ha) would be just to get that again. We should have done that three years ago but we tried to get away with the Novaform memory foam and that didn’t work very well. We’ll probably also get our cover fixed (Amicor Pure stretch type, zipper) so we’ll wait on replacing that.

But we should get a mattress pad really. Anyone have thoughts on how that stretch cover with 3" sensus memory foam below it would work with:

1. Luna mattress protector
  2. Natura wash n snuggle mattress pad (how do memory foam and a reasonably thin wool mattress pad interact with each other)?

Hi Benjammin,

That would make sense to me as well :slight_smile:

[quote]But we should get a mattress pad really. Anyone have thoughts on how that stretch cover with 3" sensus memory foam below it would work with:

1. Luna mattress protector
  2. Natura wash n snuggle mattress pad (how do memory foam and a reasonably thin wool mattress pad interact with each other)? [/quote]

The Luna mattress protector would probably be a more popular choice for memory foam because it will have less affect on the feel and response of the memory foam.

The Natura wash n snuggle mattress pad would help regulate temperature better but it would have a bigger effect on the memory foam and will reduce the amount of body heat that reaches the memory foam which can reduce or slow down the ability of the memory foam to soften and contour to your body and can make it feel firmer.

Phoenix

PS: Just to let you know … the email you used to register with is bouncing so each time a new post is added to a topic that you have subscribed to (including this one) I receive a message that the email that the system sends you to notify you of a new post has bounced.

Thanks! I edited that. Hopefully that will take care of that problem.

I realize I have the foam mattress sickness (ha ha). I talked with my wife and she helped me understand how much she likes memory foam. Fair enough. When it’s good, it’s really good, but it sleeps hot for me and sometimes I don’t like sinking in so much. So with a king we could do split layers, her side Sensus memory foam and my side blended Talalay 19 ILD and the price isn’t significantly more than just one king layer of 3" Sensus.

I think I’d rather sleep cooler more on top of the mattress than not. So now it’s just a matter of the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of a split top layer.

Hi benjammin,

The WAF isn’t one of the specs for a mattress that I talk much about on the forum but the truth is it may be the most important spec of all :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So it’s now four years later and this time it seems like the Sensus memory foam this time has lasted half as long (4) years than it did the first time. Our weights have not changed nor our sleep positions nor general health. I’m not convinced this was truly the same quality Sensus memory foam, but that’s neither here nor there. At this point when the time is right if I can get ok on the WAF front (Wife Acceptance Factor) I might want to try a softer latex comfort layer or perhaps a sculpted convoluted latex topper from Cozy Pure plus a LaNoodle topper for comfort. I haven’t made a close inspection of the three latex layers (they are 14 years old) but from what I can see they seem to still be in good shape, which is definitely a good value. I’m also looking at the Sleep EZ 4 way stretch cover as we’ve been making do with a cotton mattress pad to keep the layers together.

Hi benjimmin,

Welcome back :).

Very interesting that the “same” memory foam topper did not last as long as the original one you purchased. I’m not completely surprised. Thank you for the update.

As you probably know both Cozy Pure and SleepEZ are trusted members of our site and have high quality/value products to help with your restoration mattress project. Since your last visit we’ve open the talk to the experts section and the expert forums and you may wish to reach directly to CozyPure expert (Cheryl ) and to Sleep EZ expert for any questions you may have. It seems like you have a good plan but as you both are used to the feel of Memory foam it is important that you do some sleep testing to ensure that latex “feel” (not the firmness) and sleeping directly on latex would pass the WAF test. We’ve seen excellent customer feedback on the LaNoodle topper that you can read with a quick search here. It would seem that the combo of the sculpted organic topper and the LaNoodle topper may make the ever important WAF not too hard to achieve :).

It is not unusual to hear reposts of latex layers and mattresses lasting decades so I am glad to hear that 14-year-old Talalay layers seem to be in good shape to use for y our mattress restoring project.

I am looking forward to your future updates and let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks again for returning to our forum to share your experience and updates.

Phoenix

Another quick update. We bought the stretch cover from SleepEZ last year (I don’t think it’s available anymore) and have really liked it. I think the memory foam is at the end of its comfort life and I have again rediscovered the joys and agonies of reading about and researching mattresses and toppers. I think our bottom three latex layers continue to work well (they looked good when we put the new cover on) and so now I watch and wait and read and learn from you all. I am one who enjoys the hunt (the research) more than the kill (the purchase).

Hi benjammin.

Great to have the “hunters” back researching to replace the failing memory foam layer. I hope the joys will outweigh the agonizing :wink:

I am glad that your bottom three layers still work well within the new stretch cover from SleepEZ one of our Mattress Trusted Members of the site. As all layers in a sleeping system work together and while finding the most suitable topper choice for your mattress is not always that straight forward you are in the fortunate position to be able to replace the topper without replacing the entire mattress.

Good luck with finding a mattress/topper combination that is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and has the feel your wife approves of.

Looking forward to your updates on the hunting.

Phoenix