Night sweat problem with Sleep Number i8

I recently purchased a sleep number i8 mattress and find myself continually waking up sweating wherever my body touches the bed. I’ve always had issues with being a light sleeping and sleeping hot but it seems to have gotten worse with this bed in particular. My question is, is the mattress worth keeping and trying to solve the problem with a topper? I tried a bed jet and it seems to help, but i still sweat at the contact points. Would a wool or latex topper fix this, and how much would they affect the ability to adjust the bed firmness?

In short: Is it worth taking the $500 delivery and return loss to get a different mattress. If so what mattresses would you recommend, if not what toppers or materials should i try?

I occasionally sleep on my side, and like softer mattresses.
I need something breathable that wont trap body heat and is cooling if possible

Hi jwhite5497,
Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround and joining a new MUGster.

Sorry to hear about your sleep number troubles.

So you basically have two choices as you mentioned.

1. Keep the mattress and try to solve the issue with a topper: This could be a good option if you’re otherwise satisfied with the mattress’s support and comfort. Wool or latex toppers are known for their breathability and can help regulate temperature better than some other materials. Wool is naturally moisture-wicking and breathable, while latex tends to have an open-cell structure that allows for better airflow. Both options could potentially improve your sleeping experience by reducing heat retention. However, keep in mind that adding a topper might slightly affect the firmness level and adjustability of your Sleep Number bed.

2. Return the mattress and try a different one: If the sweating issue persists and significantly impacts your sleep quality, it might be worth considering returning the mattress, despite the delivery and return costs. Look for mattresses specifically designed to address cooling and breathability issues. Memory foam mattresses, for example, are known for trapping heat, so you might want to steer clear of those. Instead, consider mattresses with cooling gel layers, breathable materials like latex, or hybrid mattresses with pocketed coils for better airflow.

When asked about number style air beds, I tend to recommend; Airpedic, Isense or Nautical Home Wisteria. All of these have significant advantages over Sleep Number.

Since you haven’t provided the context behind this purchase, it’s difficult to pinpoint what initially attracted you to the SN style mattress. Admittedly, there are appealing aspects such as its adjustable features and the ability to customize firmness, which could prove useful in various situations. While I won’t delve into specific examples, it’s not challenging to imagine potential scenarios.

The real question lies in whether the mattress would still be comfortable if it weren’t for its tendency to retain heat. Some individuals may get swept up in the allure of the adjustable bed functions without fully considering the drawbacks.

Often, our intuition guides our decisions, prompting you to assess your gut feeling about this bedding system. If you find yourself doubting its comfort and realizing that the adjustable features aren’t as beneficial as anticipated, it might be worth accepting the $500 loss now to invest in something more suitable.

There exists a multitude of mattresses designed to maintain coolness while catering to your PPP’s (Personal Preferences, Posture and Alignment, and Pressure Relief). By collaborating with a Trusted Member of the Mattress UnderGround, you can receive invaluable guidance on selecting a mattress that meets all your criteria. Despite the potential $500 setback, investing in a high-quality mattress, typical of what most Trusted Members offer, you are still likely to remain “whole” overall. I am not positive what your SN cost, but I would imagine somewhere in the high 2 to mid 3k range.

Our Trusted Members possess keen insight and, armed with details about your body profile, sleep position, and preferences, they typically excel in meeting most sleepers needs over 90% of the time.

However, without pertinent information, it’s challenging to pinpoint the ideal mattress for you. Nevertheless, it’s worth noting that mattresses featuring natural fibers, spring support systems, and open-cell foams often contribute to a cooler sleeping environment.

I look forward to gaining more insight about your preferences and then what some of our TM experts might suggest, with a few of my own thrown in.

I know this is not a complete answer to solve the problem, but with a bit more information, we will set you on the right path.

All the best,

Maverick

Sorry you’re having trouble with yours, too. They just picked up my Climate 360 set yesterday. I only made it 3 nights before I couldn’t stand it. Although, my issues were more than just heat (which their built in “climate control” did nothing for). I never bothered to hook up my bed jets to it since I was having significant back pain regardless of setting & hated the Coleman camp mattress feeling to the tune of 15k. It felt nothing like the store sample. We chalked up the return fee as an expensive learning experience since the things I would have tried to fix it would have exceeded the cost of return & having something actually comfortable to sleep on. Our return was $249, though. I wonder why yours is double?

1 Like

One crucial point I always stress to MUGsters is the importance of the 4 R’s: Refund, Restocking, Return, and Reputation/Reviews of companies prior to finalizing a purchase.

Certain companies may not only slap folks with return fees and restocking charges but, to compound matters, they might also charge for additional items like adjustable bases and accessories such as pillows and sheets, especially if they were initially provided for free. These items often prove non-returnable, adding frustration to the process.

That’s why those “suggested values” for such items, while enticing, may not actually be worthwhile. Typically, the pillows provided are generic and not tailored to the individual user or the mattress itself. It begs the question: how could they be? Everyone receives the same pair of pillows, yet individual preferences, shoulder widths, and body profiles vary greatly.

Without boasting or insulting anyone who has had a bad experience, TMU offers guidelines for users through both the pre- and post-purchase phases of their mattress search. The silver lining here lies in transforming these challenges into opportunities.

I very sorry that folks have had to endure any inconvenience or disappointmenting experience.

Rest assured, (no pun intended) we’re always here to help you turn it around.

Maverick