Nine year old latex mattress - time to replace layers or buy new mattress?

Like the title says my mattress is nine years old and while not terrible it’s not as comfortable as it once was. I’m 70 and have pressure issues in the hips and shoulders 5’ 10" 185 lbs… The mattress is mostly a Sleep EZ with a 3" Dunlop firm, a 3" Talalay blend medium and a Spindle 3" latex synthetic medium as the comfort layer.

I’m thinking of replacing the top layer with a new 3" Talalay medium and see if that will reduce the sag. To relieve pressure points I might then go with a Talalay soft for the comfort layer if need be. I’m hoping the Dunlop base is still viable, thoughts on that?

Can the good members at TMU recommend a source for these layers. Prices have nearly tripled in the past nine years I’d like to save but won’t sacrifice quality I’m thinking Talalay natural might be the longest lasting type. Thanks much.

Spent the day yesterday taking the mattress apart and flipping turning these huge pieces of foam. I sure slept good last night.

The top Spindle layer needs replacing for sure, the middle layer also has significant deformation and even the the base Dunlop has a depression.

Would a 100% natural Talalay resist permanent depressions better than a synthetic or blended foam and if so for how long?

There is a Flobeds video showing a 5 year old Dunlop and Talalay package being opened. Dunlop was deformed and Talalay wasnt. Flobeds only sells Talalay so I dont know if its clever marketing or actually true.

Go try the national brand King Koil Pure Bliss Latex to try talalay. Search on website under dealer locator. I think Talalay is better than Dunlop, but others feel the opposite.

John

Here you go

1 Like

Thanks for that but it doesn’t address my concern.

Looking through my old posts here I see that within 3 years of purchase I was asking about sag or more accurately depression where I slept most. I’ve endured it for six more years as the situation worsened and I attributed my aches to getting older.

After flipping the whole mattresss end for end I have a like new area to sleep on and it’s so comfortable I sleep in in the mornings longer than intended. I remember why I liked this mattress in the beginning but I realize that it will become depressed and I’ll roll toward the depression within three years.

Did I do something wrong and if so what should I have done to get more comfortable years from my mattress?

1 Like

Hi Eyeone,

Well, congratulations on getting almost a decade with your old mattress. Seems like a milestone today in a world of mattresses where folks are complaining after only a year or two.

To answer the question about the layers, trusted member Latex Mattress Factory sells both Dunlop and Talalay Latex.

Any Foam, natural, synthetic, blended is going to deteriorate over time on its own. While latex is a very resilient long-lasting material, often offering as long as up to 20 years of service, it just does not happen in every case.

You can take a high-quality mattress, made with the finest quality materials and if it has one low quality layer within the construction, it can take that entire mattress down over time, usually in shorter order rather than longer. Any material, if you sit in the same spot; rub in the same area; store boxes on it; put a decorative household planter on it; use the edge of the mattress as a chair to put your shoes and socks on; or sit in bed working on a laptop; (you can name your own analogy), will eventually wear the material down.

I did not catch whether you have been rotating your mattress over the past 9 years. Whether you did or did not, at this point, the question is moot.

You have a mattress with areas of abnormalities and has experienced sagging and material displacement. I would have expected now that you did a little experimenting on your own, you would be able to position the layers that provided a temporary good night’s sleep. I would not expect anything that you do with this mattress and its current components to continue to give you the type of service and comfort you have confidently experienced in the beginning years of ownership of your mattress set-up.

As I mentioned, “a mattress is only as good as its weakest layer.” While there could be a salvageable layer, my opinion is it’s simply not worth taking that risk. Without professionally evaluating every square inch of each layer and each side of the mattress components, you cannot say with certain which layers are “really” salvageable.

I never like to place my hands in anyone else’s pockets. If you were asking my opinion, I would speak with someone like trusted member Latex Mattress Factory and have them duplicate your entire mattress.

Now remember there is no guarantee your mattress will feel the same as it did 3 years ago, or 5 years ago. I mentioned that foams can degrade and get soft over time. You are 10 years older. What it felt like to you 10 years ago, the time it initially took to become comfy and cozy, may not be the same experience and time lapse today as it was then. I would expect you to go through an initial adjustment period again. On a positive note, you can predictably expect to get quite a bit of years of service with a completely new mattress system.

Natural materials will breathe, exhibit less heat production and retention than synthetic ones. Many folks will tell you that blended latex will be a bit more durable than natural latex and are created with much less chemicals than completely synthetic materials. You can still get varying levels of firmness, and blended options will be more budget friendly.

Hopefully, this addresses some of your concerns.
Best of luck,
Norm

Thanks for that explanation. I have been remiss in turning the elements in a timely fashion and after flipping and turning at least I have a newish mattress for the most part. I like latex but also feel that the depression happened sooner than expected within a few years and have been suffering with it for the past six or more years.

But even considering that I prefer the sleep experience of it over conventional support systems though in my limited experience this leads me to think a life span would be about 7 years with proper turning for this old guy at least and perhaps for anyone who doesn’t want to compromise their comfort.

I hear you on the new vs. repair paths but it would be entirely on me to remove dispose and build the new one. I believe the bed will last at least a few months to assess and allow making a decision. thanks

1 Like

Hello Eyeone,
I am older than you. We have an all Talalay mattress that’s lasted > 20 years. I have tried both Dunlop and Talalay. I cannot manage Dunlop and I tried hard b/c of price difference. For me it’s like night and day.

1 Like

I agree with Hester. Talalay over Dunlop. Dunlop feels terrible to me.

1 Like

I’m considering a latex mattress , and I want it to last. TMU says that talay doesn’t last as long , so I’m surprised that yours has lasted so long. What do you attribute this too and where did you get it?

1 Like

So, we got this particular mattress from The Clean Bedroom a looooong time ago. Medium firmness. On top I have a 2" Talalay topper. I don’t know why it lasted so long. Neither hubby or I is overweight. But that may not be the issue. Luck, and maybe materials were better then. I have zero idea.

1 Like

Hi Nataliapinzon,

While you await Hester’s response to your question. Just a little food for thought.

Like most things, particularly something that gets close to 3000 hours of direct contact and use per year, you would expect there to be some wear and tear.

If you were to buy a pair of running shoes with a rubber sole and run 8 miles a day with the same shoes, you would naturally expect that sole to wear at some distinct pace. If you were a 120lb runner vs 190lb runner or a 240lb football player, you would expect those shoes to wear at an accelerated rate for the larger folks than you would for the lighter runners. One runner never cleans the sole of the shoe and it wears slightly more due to the added weight and dirt stuck in the tread. It is not uncommon either, to purchase a pair of running shoes, where the identical model of the shoe in the identical size, where one one pair is made in china, and another pair made in Vietnam, or some other place. When this happens, you never know if the materials for those shoes were sourced and manufactured to the exact standards either. Nonetheless, the more friction, bouncing, rolling, drooling, whatever happens in a mattress (or the shoes), is going to affect its performance and longevity.

As you can see, whether it be a simple a pair of shoes or a rubber mattress, there are multiple conditions that can affect longevity.

There are two major players in the Talalay Marketplace. Global Talalay in Connecticut, and Radium’s Vita Talalay in the Netherlands. Both do an outstanding job producing the product, adhering to consistent standards in processing with exactly the same use of chemical agents necessary to produce the foam along with a strict adherence to cleaning the foam to completion.

Of course there are other manufacturers that produce Talalay, that may not adhere to such rigorous standards. When that happens, longevity and quality suffer.

Latex is an extremely resilient material. Under the right conditions, it can last 20 years. As with the running shoes many factors can affect its longevity. So when shopping for Talalay, it would not be out of the ordinary to ask, who manufactured the foam. Additionally, you could probably line up 100 industry experts and ask which will last longer Talalay or Dunlop. If I had to guess, the results would be 50/50.

@FloBeds posted this on their website. It is just an interesting “test” or observation that they discovered. Talalay vs Dunlop. Sleep on Latex another popular latex mattress company sees it this way. Dunlop vs Latex which is softer?

Both have their own reasons for using each of the available methods for manufacturing latex.

The bottom line for you is to know your PPP’s and body profile. Read though these. TMU Tutorial and Condensed Tutorial Look at Paragraph 4.

Select an establishment who has a reputation for quality work, manufacturing and customer service with a staff who can guide you in the right direction. You will on your way to years of comfort and service from your mattress system. Rotate and or flip your mattress as per the manufacturers directive, and be certain to use the appropriate foundation for the system you purchase.

Following this method will lead to years of happiness with your mattress just like @hester.

Happy New Year

Norm

Just to update you. The Clean Bedroom does not do any Talalay mattresses or toppers anymore. I just spoke with a great guy to confirm something about my 20 year old purchase… he couldn’t confirm something for me. But he said they don’t do Talalay. Just a point of information which I wanted to correct and not leave wrong impression about the topper or mattress.

1 Like

Hester, are they not selling royalpedic any longer? RP uses talalay in their mattresses.

Are they dropping these?

royal pedic @ TCB

Savvy Rest Talalay

Maverick,
I didn’t ask. I was surprised to hear about the talalay. And they cover all their toppers…

1 Like

Yeah, seems a little weird, unless they were referring to their proprietary line.

Billy, Still…Dunlop has a use for tummy sleepers like me who need the support. I"ve been trying to tweak my setup (two 3" medium talalay pieces beneath a 2" soft Talalay topper). Someone suggested replacing the bottom 3" Medium Talalay with 3" Firm Dunlop. I knew right off that’d be too firm. But I happened to have 1" firm SoL Dunlop laying around (failed experiments). So I slipped the 1" Firm between the two 3" Medium Talalay pieces and it gives me the support I need for stomach sleeping without feeling that push back the Dunlop gives.