Non-toxic mattress suggestions

Deuxcv,

Forgot to mention that if you buy the LucidL100 adjustable bases at walmart.com they have an excellent return policy, try free for 90 nights and will come pick it up for free.

See the attached link for details.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LUCID-Basic-Remote-Controlled-Adjustable-Bed-Base-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Multi-Position-Queen/670314498

thanks! what were your brands to avoid?

deuxcv,

I don’t think it is an issue with brands so much as an issue with source materials and shipping. All the adjustable beds appear to be made in China. Thus they use Chinese plywood or OSB to staple the fabric too. Now and then there is probably a bad batch with noxious glue used. In addition there are some that are probably sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals in the shipping process. Or perhaps they were stored next to something chemical that spills.

That being said I don’t want to call out the first brand because they were super responsive and immediately offered to pick up the beds as well as refunded all my money, including the white glove delivery service.

The second brand was Sam’s Club rebranded from Blissful nights which is sold on Amazon. My friend ordered the Blissful nights from Amazon and it was fine. I was at her house the day it was unboxed and no odor. I also asked on the Sam’s Club web site and everyone said no odor. So I bought a pair from Sam’s Club because of the superior return policy and I was gun shy after the first set.

Then after getting the odiferous ones I checked back on Sam’s Club web site and there was another person who received theirs within 2 days of when I got mine who complained theirs smelled also and had been moved to the garage to outgas after they set it up. So are we wrong or is everyone else wrong? I say neither. It is simply the risk when you have Chinese plywood or OSB and international shipping where containers can get contaminated with bugs, vermin, chemical spills etc.

Thankfully the return with Sam’s Club was easy.

Hey BriannaM,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping journey! See that TMU consumer @SweetDreams offered several suggestions in the previous post including expert Trusted Member Sleep EZ, wondered if you checked into any of those and what your thoughts were.

Both Arizona Premium Mattress and Nest Bedding are TMU Trusted Members as well, know they would welcome the chance to respond to your questions regarding their components.

Looking forward to hearing more on your research.

Sensei

deuxcv,

These are my findings so far with the Naturepedic EOS combos.

Naturepedic EOS Classic with plush coils and soft microcoils - Fairly comfortable. I might be bottoming out on the soft microcoils. I am 200 lbs so might be too heavy for them. Due to them sending the wrong length, basically twin and not twinXL, I had trouble being comfortable. My feet were hanging off, or I was fighting to keep the pillow from falling into the crack I needed to have between it and the headboard if I wanted my feet supported. Also I was using twinXL bedding on the mattress and it was bunching up at night making things uncomfortable. Had good luck mitigating hip pain with this combo by raising the feet up on my adjustable bed while laying on my side. This is a big plus!

Naturepedic EOS Classic with plush coils and medium microcoils - Fairly comfortable. My shoulder has not gone to sleep as it did with the soft microcoils. My hips might not be as comfortable on this one but I have only tried it two nights so far. I am going to continue testing this. Might not be getting a good test because the medium micro could came with the longer pillow top so are abotu 6 inches too long for the Classic case. We squeezed them in to test them but they are sort of ‘crunchy’ due to how they are stuffed in there. I am ordering the original configuration again to replace the short bed and will be trying the medium microcoils with that to more properly test this configuration.

Naturepedic EOS Pillowtop with firm coils, medium microcoils and soft microcoils - Rock hard. Neither my husband and I could sleep on it. We are not sure if they actually sent a medium and soft microcoil or if they sent two medium microcoils. By hand they both feel the same and slightly more firm than the known soft microcoils from the short bed. But we can’t definatively say because the difference by hand feel is so slight. In the store I thought I could more easily tell the difference.

Naturepedic EOS Pillowtop with firm coils, soft microcoils and soft microcoils - softer. I felt this was potentially too soft for me and caused hip pain. I only stayed on it a few nights. My hips sunk it to it enough that I did not need to raise the foot of my bed. But the hip pain makes me think it is too soft. My husband likes this the best out of anything he has tried. Does not like it better than our old all Talalay latex bed. But we have now cut that one up and thrown it out so no going back to it now.

In the store I tried the Maturepedic EOS Pillowtop with plush coils, medium microcoils and soft microcoils. This was a very soft bed and seemed to cause me back pain when I tried it out in the store so we didn’t order it. Maybe that is one my husband would like as he likes a soft bed.

how goes the experiments. how is naturepedic dealing with what is obviously manufacturing and labeling errors? are they taking care of you? have they swapped out the twin mistake for a proper twinkle yet? your house must be stuffed with boxes and unused layers.

why are you doing two twinxls instead of a king with L/R diff layers? seems that would be more comfortable than the splits. but now that i think of it, maybe beds aren’t next to each other or you like different positions. either way, might some of your sleep discomforts be from sleeping in too small a space? i’m one person in a king bed because i like to spread out and stretch during go to be time and a i find a twin too confining.

deuxcv,
You have absolutely nailed it. It is very hard to adjust to a twin size mattress from a king mattress. The lack of length and width is really confining. We have two twinXL adjustable beds that are velcroed together to avoid a hole in the middle as much as possible but it still developes. We need two mattresses because I like to sleep with my feet raised a bit plus I use the raised head and feet for physical therapy in the morning while my husband is still asleep. An adjustable bed is a game changer and find I use it way more than I thought I would.

It doesn’t help that getting a true twinXL has been impossible. They are all short.

Naturepedic is sending out another mattress, under strict instructions to make it 80". But I don’t hold out much hope. They were confused as to why I didn’t ask for it right away. At the time the first 76" one came I had 2 Joybed mattresses and one My Green Mattress. So adding in a 4th made it very crowded here. The thought of having a 5th one to deal with made me sick.

I shortly donated the 2 Joybeds. The My Green Mattress is currently in my office for donation and the short Naturepedic will join it when it’s replacement comes.

But will it be the right length, will it smell, will it contain the layers it is supposed to have? Who knows. The first couple times we got mattresses I was excited. Now I dread it as it is a complete unknown what will land on our doorstep and need to be delt with.

In terms of the testing I am on the EOS Classic with plush coils and medium microcoils. I have the plush coils and soft microcoils coming. It seems fairly comfortable but I want to try the soft again in a proper length because I think the short length was affecting my ability to test it with all the bedding being twin XL and bunching up at night plus my having to hang onto the pillow for dear life or have my feet hanging over the end. So annoying!

My husband is on the EOS Pillowtop with firm coils and two layers of soft microcoils. But one is the very short layer from the original mattress so will have to go back on to it for donation. Which means he will get the medium back and it will be firm which he will not like. He is happy with the current configuration. We will swap out the medium for soft if I like the soft. Otherwise, if I don’t like the soft, then we will just swap them between the beds.

Life would have been so good and easy if Joybed would have sent the proper length 80" and not 75" to start with. I like the bed well enough that I would never have looked at the tags and found out that they don’t list any of the materials.

Life would have been much better if Naturepedic had shipped a proper length mattress the first time. This unpack new ones is hard work and the storing for donation, arranging the donation and getting things picked up is a pain, especially when it isn’t our fault that the companies have sent us the wrong product.