Not Much Time to Buy Mattress

I’m moving and will need to get a mattress soon or else have to sleep on the floor. I’m trying to decide to just buy a cheapo mattress and keep looking or take a chance with a decent purpose soon. My Kawada mattress will have to stay where it is.

I’ve been to a couple mattress shops. One had a relatively cheap selection of littleknown brands. They all sortof felt the same with the plastic wrapping over them. The only ones that kind of stood out were the ‘Kingdom Mattress’ sets which had blurbs about gel or something.Gateway Gel TT and IT around 700 - 600 (sale) bucks and the more expensive Cobalt Gel 1100-1000 (sale). The cobalt gel was one sided had this fancy little cutaway sample showing the complex layers that I’ve seen somewhere else perhaps under a different name. Also there was MBC mattress Sapphire 700-600, Ultrapedic, and Chiro Supreme.

The other mattress shop was filled with much better known but far more expensive brands. I was very impressed with the Aireloom and Tempurpedic beds but of course those ones cost 5000-10000 dollars.

Any of these brands or mattresses familiar with anyone? I guess my budget would be around 1K although I’m torn with going higher. Wasnt planning on skimping on the mattress but never really thought about just how high end they go.

Hi Jarwulf,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Outside of the suitability of a mattress for your body type and sleeping positions in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer or the brand because all manufacturers have access to the same or similar materials. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and I would always make sure you can find out the specifics of what is inside any mattress you are considering so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

If you can find out the information in this article about any mattress you are considering and post it on the forum then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside it but without this information you would be making a completely blind purchase with a much higher chance of buyers remorse as a result of durability issues much too quickly after a purchase.

Phoenix