NYC Search - Hybrid Mattress; In-person Only

Hi Everyone,

We are search for a new mattress. Grateful I found this community - I’ve learned a ton (my wife thinks too much…), and I’d love your perspective on our journey. I’ve read the vast majority of articles, and started with Phoenix’s NYC recommendations (HERE) to find store candidates. Hope to not make this post too long.

Details:

• 5’9", 175lb Male. Athletic, with a 10" ‘drop’ chest to waist. Side sleeper.
  • Wife: 5’5" 130lbs. Normal build. Side sleeper.
  • Current mattress: Posturepedic “Plush” Queen, circa 2015. I sleep fine, but it’s getting indented over the past few years; wife thinks it’s too hard.
  • Current plan: Buying a King; likely to go hybrid based on initial store visits. Based on this site, I’d like latex+hybrid for durability. We initially liked some memory foams, but I sleep hotter and don’t like the amount of effort it takes to move around.
  • Budget: Less would be nice?! We really like a Naturepedic at ~$4.5K (king) so I don’t think I’d go higher.
  • Location: Wife isn’t interested in online shopping, so will need to try it in person.

Recon:

1. Saatva: Nice store. We liked the Memory Foam Hybrid initially, but then weren’t as impressed when we went back to compare a week later.
  2. Online stuff: Went to a retailer selling Puffy, Helix, Brooklyn Bedding. These were “fine”, but the best were memory foam, and I’m not digging how much effort it is to move once you’ve sunk in.
  3. The Clean Bedroom: Roger was nice and seemed very knowledgeable. Our budget probably stops with Naturepedic, and we liked (my wife loved) the EOS pillowtop.
  4. Avocado: Nice store, and liked their mattresses. Our favorite was a box top. This seems to be an organic brand that’s pricing close to Naturepedic, but they don’t have the same ability to select and replace layers.

Questions:

• Organic mattresses: Phoenix and forum believe Naturepedic uses good quality material, so that’s great. Do you think it’s at a good price relative to the quality or am I overpaying for “green”? We didn’t go looking for “organic”, we just like the bed.
  • Pillow toppers: Are these okay, or overkill? My wife prefers them, and I also find them comfortable, but Naturepedic’s is a total of 6" of latex - so way over the 3" baseline for side sleepers. Would this potentially compromise alignment or have some negative effect? I could also do a regular EOS and put a 2" topper on it cheaper I think…
  • Other? I may go to Scott Jordan or Shovlin (which can do custom layers), but they are a decent trek from me.

Thanks for the help and keeping such an active community.
Mr. g

Hi Mr_Gondola,

Thank you for providing your profile and preference details. It seems you’re well-versed in mattress shopping, so we can skip the standard discussion on PPP, materials, product engineering, and specifications, and delve straight into searching for and selecting the right mattress for you.

Just a few years back, I bid farewell to my 2011 Sealy Posturepedic ultra firm king mattress due to indentations and dipping, echoing your own experience. It’s highly doubtful I’ll venture into another S brand mattress unless they undergo a miraculous transformation in terms of quality and transparency.

Considering your “recon” section, let’s delve into some of those options. Since your wife prefers purchasing in-store, we’ll focus on what’s available there. It’s worth noting that no matter where you buy, truly gauging long-term comfort is challenging. Even testing a mattress in a showroom versus purchasing online based on specifications doesn’t guarantee mid or long-term satisfaction. I like to think of these short-term tests as the “mattress eliminator.” Mattresses tend to soften, compress, and wear over time. The softening is usually front-loading these changes in the first few months of use. If a mattress feels too soft initially, it’s likely not a good fit. Conversely, firm mattresses in the showroom might not reveal how much they’ll soften during the break-in period or over time. This period doesn’t just refer to the mattress taking shape; it’s also the sleeper adjusting to the new environment.

The key factor for some predictability lies in the quality of materials used in its construction, which becomes apparent only when a company is transparent about their materials.

I would urge to have an open mind about selecting a mattress online, although it is not necessary to go that route. I happened to take that plunge, based solely on “specs” and it has worked as an excellent choice for us.

We can digress back to the “recon” section. So the EOS and Avocado are nice selections, the EOS is known for its ability to offer split comfort and swappable comfort options. Avocado falls into a larger group of similar mattress, @My_Green_Mattress, Harvest, EcoSleep, Birch all make claims to that same category.

Saatva was on my list for a New York minute, but the overall independent reviews did not match the marketing hype so for me, it became a flash in the past, very quickly. Helix and Brooklyn Bedding make some of the best online mattresses in this catergory, as a matter of fact, I chose the BB Plank Luxe and almost two years in, it is performing as if it was brand new and both of us, despite dissimilar body weights (me 6’ 220-formerly 250+, and my wife 5’4 135) and we are just loving the mattress.

Natural materials, such as foams and fibers, often exhibit greater durability, reliability, and longevity compared to their synthetic counterparts. This is particularly true when the natural products are created using high-quality, consistent methods, which also applies, to some extent, to the synthetic ones.

It’s important not to be misled by terminology. For instance, Brooklyn Bedding labels their Plank Luxe mattress as using “memory foam,” but in reality, it’s High Density Polyurethane foam, not viscoelastic memory foam. Despite this, they often refer to it as “memory foam” in their literature. When questioned about this discrepancy, their customer service have described it as memory foam without memory.

When it comes to paying extra for “green” products, there are various approaches. For instance, in the case of Dunlop vs Talalay processed latex, only Dunlop can be certified as organic. Talalay, due to its use of certain limited chemicals, doesn’t meet the standard for organic certification. Consequently, you may end up paying more for something that isn’t “certified as organic” due to the more involved process.

Personally, I like to evaluate whether the overall product is worth the added expense for me. This could involve considering factors like the product being “greener,” perhaps offering better customer service, or faster delivery time. Ultimately, it’s about determining what’s important to the buyer in the context of the additional cost.

I’m a big advocate for mattress toppers as well. I believe that, assuming the products being used are of good quality to start with, mattress toppers can enhance both the comfort and longevity of a mattress. They can provide additional contouring and pressure relief for sleepers who desire it, or maintain the feel of the mattress while adding the necessary contouring for those who find their mattress too firm and flat.

Moreover, the extra few inches added to the top of the mattress can bear the initial weight impact, potentially prolonging the life of the comfort layer of the mattress. For instance, opting for a high-quality 3" wool topper could potentially outlast the lifespan of your mattress, offering both comfort and durability.

Finally, since you are in the city, take a look at what Charles Beckley Mattress has to offer, since you have already experienced @TheCleanBedroom. They are a company that takes you back in time, like shovlin, or orange mattress (in new jersey) when mattresses were made to last with high quality materials, construction and attention to detail.

Hopefully this will give you some insight on your mattress search.

Maverick

1 Like

Hi mr_gondola,

We are glad you had a good experience at our NYC location. You are correct; Roger is knowledgeable, for sure.

As you mentioned, you could go with an EOS pillowtop or a regular EOS and add a topper. You might like to try the EOS with a topper and see how it feels. Toppers or pillowtops help to lengthen the life of the mattress. So they do protect your investment.

Naturepedic has been around for 20 years, and while you are paying for organic, you are even more paying for quality. High-quality materials (from springs to latex to the cover to the zipper) Excellent workmanship. Naturepedic treats its employees well, and there is not a lot of turnover - which also contributes to the high quality of the mattresses.

As you know, you can swap layers during the initial period if you want to change the feel. Also, down the road, if you want to change feel because of new circumstances in your life, you can swap a layer for a much lower cost than getting a whole new mattress.

The 25-year warranty with the EOS shows that Naturepedic stands behind its products.

We wish you all the best as you search! Give us a call if you have further questions.

2 Likes

Hi Maverick,

Appreciate the reply. Definitely understand online could be a great option. Asked the wife again, and though she’d allow it, I think she will aggressively not help me deal with delivery/return, or anything else in any way…

Understand I wouldn’t want “too soft”, as the comfort will move away from me as it breaks in. Is there a rule of thumb to compensate - i.e. buy slightly too firm in anticipation of softening moving the comfort into the perfect range? Or if you feel “perfect” in the showroom with quality components, you don’t need to guess where the puck is going?

Hilarious. I’m not sure what I’d say to a comment like that!

Will look into them. Their web 1.0 website turned me off initially. I couldn’t tell if they used springs and foam, or if their mattresses were stuffed animal hair in a cover…though from other posts, it looks they might be more spendy than I’d like. Shovlin is also on my list, just need to get to NJ. Also want to check out Berkeley from Scott Jordan.

Thanks for that feedback. I hear various thoughts, and wondered if adding separate to a mattress design didn’t mess with the mechanics. Maybe with differential construction it isn’t a big deal?

Thanks!
Mr. g

Hi TheCleanBedroom,

Appreciate the note, and I think all of your points make sense.

Good perspective. Is the main drawback with a topper vs. pillow top that I won’t have cotton/wool fabric on top? I could see a topper negating whatever cooling/comfort effect that layer of material provides.

I’d thought of this as a great perk of this mattress design. Is it typical to exchange just the comfort layer, or do people also have the ability to replace the spring cassette (if those wear out ever?)?

Thanks!
Mr. g

When it comes to the variety of better BiB mattresses out there, other than the Big Fig and the BB Plank Luxe, it seems that most companies are over rating their firmness levels. Naturally, the firmness scales are very subjective and there is really no industry standard for that sort of thing.

For most BiB mattresses that incorporate foams, going one step up the firmness scale usually avoids softening issues. Many folks will say that the natural fiber and natural foam mattresses experience less softening overall.

It’s a common tale we often hear on this forum and over at reddit r/mattress: users quickly opine that their mattress feels too firm after just a couple of days of use. While we advocate for giving it some time, suggesting users stick with it for a few weeks rather than giving up prematurely, it’s interesting to note how frequently this initial discomfort transforms into satisfaction as the mattress settles over time. Indeed, after a month or so, many find their once seemingly firm mattress has softened to their perfect preference.

Of course, there have been instances where the softening was excessive, prompting users to make adjustments or seek replacements accordingly. It’s all part of the journey towards finding that perfect balance of comfort and support.

Yeah, I agree the Beckley website is rather weak, and guess what, it is significantly better than it was 9 months ago. We have had a couple of MUGsters visit Beckley’s showroom, and while they stated it was rather dated, the consensus was dont judge the book by the cover as they were impressed with the product.

There are a few regulars on this forum who’ve recently made purchases from Shovlin, and one in particular, I am sure would be happy to share her positive experience with them. It’s always heartening to hear firsthand accounts of customer satisfaction.

While we’re on the topic of local mattress suppliers, it might be worth considering a visit to Orange Mattress as well, although not a member of this forum, they are a traditional mattress manufacturer with a long history. They’re conveniently located just around 11 minutes away (less than 5 miles) from Shovlin. What’s interesting about Orange is their longstanding tradition - they’ve been in the business for over a century and still utilize some of the same equipment from over 70 years ago. It’s a testament to their commitment to quality and craftsmanship.

On another note, I can’t speak enough about the benefits of a 3" wool mattress topper, especially for those who tend to sleep hot. It’s truly a game changer! While memory foam and latex often steal the spotlight when it comes to mattress toppers, wool deserves its moment in the sun. The natural properties of wool make it exceptionally breathable and conducive to a comfortable night’s sleep. If you do make it to Orange Mattress, take a look at their Horsehair topper. If wool seems like the ultimate heat neutral material, you will be blown away by horsehair. I have several horsehair pillows and they are incredibly cool to sleep on.

Best of luck with your ongoing search! Remember, prioritize testing first and discussing prices later. Let your comfort guide your decision, rather than being swayed by price tags.

While budget considerations are important for everyone, temporarily setting aside the “splurge or save” dilemma can give you a clearer understanding of your preferences. Once you’ve identified what truly suits your needs, you can then focus on finding options that align with your budget. You will find the perfect match.

All the best,

Maverick

Great to know. Will keep in mind as I get close to a ‘perfect’ match while testing.

Nice. That looks like something I could combine w/ the Shovlin trip. Thanks for the rec.

This is not something I’ve explored. Considering natural toppers that aren’t latex would be interesting. I’ll definitely try that out.

Good advice! Thanks for the time spent replying. Really appreciate it!

Mr. g

1 Like

Hi again,

Regarding toppers and pillowtops negating cooling - depends on the material used. @Maverick mentioned a 3" wool topper, and that is one option in terms of cooling, because it is breathable.

Yes, on the Naturepedic mattresses, you can replace a spring layer. I haven’t heard of them wearing out, but sometimes support needs can change. All of the components, from the cover, to the latex layers, to the spring layers, are replaceable. Of course, it comes at a price, but much lower than it would be to replace the whole mattress.

1 Like