observations & Qs about latex mattresses

Hi MikeM,

The essentia has a much thinner ticking and the cotton/wool quilting would certainly change the feel of lying right on the NuForm so it would be tough to know for sure. It would be interesting to lie on a few inches of NuForm directly (on foam or latex of course not on the floor) and see how it felt in comparison.

Quilting can certainly change how a mattress feels … as can certain contsruction methods like inner tufting which “firms up” the layers that are tufted. Wool quilting is like having a firmer layer close to you and will reduce the ability of the latex to both conform to your body and reduce the amount you sink in to softer latex. It is certainly important to take the quilting into account as an active layer. For example … if you had a latex layer that was slightly too thick or too soft … then wool quilting could be a benefit. If you had a latex layer that was “just right” with a very stretchy circular weave over it … then wool could make it too firm. There are even tickings that are tighter in the middle to help hold up the hips and looser in other areas to allow them to sink in more deeply. It’s amazing how complex all the interactions can be. Most of the “standard” wool quiltings with cotton or cotton wool however are fairly similar (although some of the more expensive models do use more wool).

The good news though is that it is not that difficult to get “very close” which is a lot better than mot people do … even though they may not realize what they “could have had” and will usually compare what they buy to a mattress that has worn out which of course makes any new mattresses seem great … for a while.

I would certainly try to test latex with a stretchy cover as that will give you the best sense of layering and ILD. In post #63 here in the other thread … there are a few outlets at the bottom of the list which carry Pure Latex Bliss besides the one that soreback posted in this thread (thanks soreback) as well as a “few” other LA options. Once you know this … then it’s easier to think in terms of how a quilting will factor in (firmer with less sinking in).

I was looking back at your posts and didn’t see your weight/sleeping position stats (I might have missed them) which may be helpful. I’m assuming from your preference of comfort layers that you are probably not a side sleeper? That would help me in terms of ideas about layer thickness.

With a thin comfort layer … there is a lot more room for a softer support core because it will be soft with a little bit of compression (helping the comfort layers) but firmer as compression increases (because of the progressive compression qualities of latex). Latex also tends to keep people in better alignment even in the softer versions for the same reason. Sometimes too … some people prefer softer latex because they will sink in deeper which they like and as long as the position where they “come to rest” is in alignment (which is far more likely with latex) … the depth of the cradle beyond the minimum required for pressure relief is more a matter of preference.

I and my other half are both fairly evenly proportioned (I’m 195 and 6’5" and she’s 5’7" hourglass and much lighter) … and our core layer is Talalay 28 ILD.

So with some “stats” and hopefully a test with PLB … it should point in a direction which is fairly close … at least in terms of latex.

Phoenix