Octaspring 8500 replaced due defective top layer

:frowning:
Mattress developed 4"X7" indentation (hip side) sometime after 5 months actual usage. Inspection report recommended replacement due defective top layer separation. Certainly do not look forward to having to replace again for same or similar issues!

This mattress is very comfortable w/o any pressure points.
I personally find it to be a touch too soft.
Would adding a 2" medium firm all latex topper make the overall feel a bit firmer as well as better support with still no pressure problem?
Should I use Dunlop or Talalay all natural latex?

Hi chrisw,

I’m glad you were able to replace your defective mattress … that’s good to see (the replacement that is not the defect) :).

Primary support comes from the deeper layers of a mattress not from the top layers and it’s difficult to “fix” a mattress that is too soft by adding layers on top of it. The comments and replies in this topic from yesterday which was about the same issue (a memory foam mattress that is too soft) would apply to your question as well.

This would be a preference choice rather than a better/worse choice. There is more in post #7 here about the differences in “feel” between Dunlop and Talalay but the best way to know which one you prefer would be based on your own personal testing and/or experience.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

What did you mean by " the replacement that is not the defect" ???

Hi chrisw,

I meant that I was glad that you were able to replace your defective mattress … not that it had a defect in the first place.

I probably should have written it as … (the replacement that is … not that it had a defect)

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

One would wish to buy a mattress that does it’s job consistently and be forgotten it is there altogether.

Guess I may have been overly impressed by their innovative design and commercials on durability test which was stated to be far more stringent than any other company. Have to assume that new products go through actual field test prior release to the consumer market.

Unfortunately, I happened to reach this very informative site only when I first encountered indentation problem with my first Octaspring 8500. After perusing all the information on this site, I think I should have opted for an all latex talalay / Dunlop mattress.

In all fairness, this Octaspring 8500 is very comfortable w/o any pressure points or support problem. I certainly hope that my first one was just one of only few defective mattresses…akin to buying a lemon car.

Have purchased a 2" medium firm 30 ILD Natural Talalay Topper to alleviate excess direct body heat on the memory foam. Hopefully this may stop the early premature foam breakdown as well as still maintain the positive attributes of this mattress; but with a slightly firmer feel!

Phoenix, wish I was as learned as you! B)

Hi chrisw,

[quote]One would wish to buy a mattress that does it’s job consistently and be forgotten it is there altogether.

Guess I may have been overly impressed by their innovative design and commercials on durability test which was stated to be far more stringent than any other company. Have to assume that new products go through actual field test prior release to the consumer market.[/quote]

Unfortunately most field testing is more about whether a mattress will qualify for a warranty claim ( visible impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusions and are regarded as “defects”) and not so much about the useful life of a mattress or how long it will take to lose its comfort and/or support and will need to be replaced (see post #174 here about mattress warranties). If there is an actual defect in the materials it will generally show up early in the life of a mattress which appears to be the case in your situation.

It’s always a good idea to make sure you know the quality/density of all the layers in a mattress before buying any mattress (see this article) and compare them to the guidelines here which will tell you much more about the durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a mattress warranty.

You certainly chose a high quality and durable topper and you will have a much firmer and more resilient sleeping surface and “feel” than the memory foam in your Octaspring.

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback after you’ve received it and to let us know how it works out for you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

None of the Dormeo Octaspring Sites (Europe/Canada/USA) have information on the quality/density of all the layers in a mattress.

Will definitely share my feedback with regards to replaced mattress with or without the latex topper.

Chris

Hi chrisw,

Most mattress manufacturers don’t have foam density information on their sites but Dormeo will generally provide this information if you ask them (see post #2 here and the other posts it links to for example). A forum search on Octaspring (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information about them as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Comparison between replaced new vs old Octaspring 8500 Queen with Ironman pillow/mattress protector/Celliant as follow:

1/ visually same.
2/ the four sides edge support is not as firm as before.
3/ slightly firmer feel … pelvis not sinking in as deep.
4/ comfort level similar.
5/ seems to be slightly more supportive.
6/ actual length is 77" …not 60x80 as per spec!

Adding 2 inches 30ILD all natural Talalay Latex Topper did not change the overall feel other than maybe, only a touch firmer. :frowning:

Replacing the Octaspring Evolution Memory foam pillow with all natural Talalay Latex Plush pillow by Ironman with Celliant truly enhanced the overall sleep experience to the next level. My head seemed to be resting on air support!

Still yet to feel the power of Celliant.

Chris

Well, according to my personal experience, DreamFoam Bedding Mattresses are good from all the points of views including prices as well.

Hi alexpab,

I switched your post to a new topic because it was about a different mattress than the topic you originally posted in.

It also appears that the site you linked to is a commercial review site so I’ve also removed the link because advertising a site you own is against the rules of the forum.

You are certainly welcome to post your feedback and review in this topic so that others can benefit from your experience.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

This is an update on my replaced Octaspring 8500 Queen with 2 inches 30ILD all natural Talalay Latex Topper & Latex plush pillows.
After several months, feels exactly same as my last post Jul 27, 2014. Very comfortable without and PPP.
No premature foam breakdown so far.
Guess adding the Latex topper was a perfect combination!

Chris

Hi chrisw,

Thanks for taking the time to come back and share an update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that things are still working out so well for you.

Phoenix