OK to keep memory foam mattress on its side for a few hours?

I’m having the carpets in my apartment cleaned so I need to move all furniture off the carpeted areas.

How should I treat my queen memory foam mattress? It will be displaced for about 8 hours. It may be possible to lie it flat, but I’m a little short on temporary space so it’s not guaranteed. Is it OK to keep it on its side for a bit? If so, should I try to rest it with the long edge on the ground or the shorter edge on the ground? I may be able to angle it a bit resting against the sturdier foundation. Or should I try to keep it flat at all costs?

Thanks so much.

Hi The Toddler,

If you have a “typical” memory foam mattress (polyfoam core with polyfoam and memory foam layers), the layers are usually laminated together into a solid unit and you should have no problem storing this flat, on its (long) side, or even standing up. If the mattress is a “hybrid” (pocketed springs with polyfoam and memory foam layers on top), and this is a “finished” mattress (no zippers for foam layer rearrangement), these layers may not be as securely fixed within the mattress and my #1 preference would be storing the item flat. If that was not available due to space, store it along its long side. I would try to avoid standing on its end if you could, as this would put the most strain on the foam layers and the stapling of any inner flanges.

I hope that helps. If you have a different configuration for your mattress, please let me know.

Phoenix

Thanks! I think mine qualifies as a typical memory foam mattress. It’s all enclosed (no removable cover), but it’s just one with a 6" polyfoam base and then 5" of various non-swappable memory foam layers on top. It’s looking like I’m going to have to store it on its side (if I lay it flat, I’d have to store other things on top of it, which might be bad), but I plan to lay the foundation against the wall first to act as a “bookend” for the mattress.

Hi The Toddler,

I think your plan sounds like a good one. You should be just fine.

Phoenix