Old school innerspring mattress Chicago

Hello
I’ve been through so many new mattresses in the last decade. None of them have worked for me. Eventually, they all sag in my lower back, I wake up groggy with back pain. And I’m a petite person. I’ve done some research, and it seems the old school innerspring flippable mattress is the way to go. Can someone recommend where I should buy this and a brand/model number? Thank you so much!

Hi urbandweller2020

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear of your failed mattress experiences and your subsequent back pains. Unfortunately, as most mattresses are sold today based on marketing stories and not factual information that would help determine from the get-go how long you are likely to sleep well on the mattress you just purchased. A mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside so generally I wouldn’t buy a mattress of any kind (regardless of the brand name or a vendor the attempts to incentivize a purchase by sale or discounts unless I found about the quality of the materials within the mattress (see the article about the Mattress specifications you need to know) so that I can compare them with the mattress durability guidelines here Whenever searching for any information about a product it is important to validate it and make sure that it comes from a reliable source (Preferable from the manufacturer/retailer themselves) A chat session with the manufacturer/vendor can be a good source provided that it is detailed and clearly states the specifics you need to know about a product.

Throughout this website, it is often mentioned to avoid “major” mattress manufacturers. This is primarily due to a clear lack of transparency about the quality and specifications of the materials used in their mattresses vs. smaller independent manufacturers that make similar mattresses with the same or better quality, are transparent about their materials and designs and often times sell for better prices.

An “old school innerspring fippable mattress” can be a good way to go provided that

1. You like the feel of this mattress type … and
  2. It has good quality materials and components as I mentioned above.
    The innerspring unit would rarely be the weak link I a mattress but I’d make sure that the foams on top (and bottom) meet the mattress durability guidelines here

Have you tried an old-school innerspring? Did you like its feel? What were the materials used for comfort? I am asking this because any theory at a distance is unlikely to give predictable results and It would be better to do a bit more leg work to decide the type of mattress you like. Local testing would be the best place to start.
You can read a bit more about the flippable innerspring units on Texas Mattress Makers website here. You may consider checking in with expert trusted member My Green Mattress / Quality Sleep Shop located in La Grange Highlands, IL. Their showroom is located a short distance away, and owner Tim Masters is an expert in the natural mattress materials category. Shovlin Mattress Factory has a collection of traditional spring mattresses. You may want to give them a call and see if it is worth taking a day trip to their facility. They strongly stand by “You Gotta Try Before You Buy!” which reflects in their “less 1% return rate” so you may consider taking a day trip to them. You may also want to get in touch with Mattress To Go and perhaps pay Jef a visit. it is a four hours drive for you but it would be worth your while in your quest for having restful nights. He’ll educate you about mattress purchase basics and you’ll have the chance to compare side by side different types of mattresses and materials. He also has a large innerspring collection. All above are Trusted members of our site which means that I think highly of in terms of transparency, knowledge, and are extremely skilled in helping customers find the right product and match. This is just on top of my head but you may want to peruse the Trusted members Directory

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (there is a condensed version of it ) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP(Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences)
that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Phoenix