Older Couple

My wife and I would like to stay sleeping together but each have different issues. My wife needs to have the head of the bed up due to Acid Reflux etc. I need it to be Flat due to back and hip issues. She is a back sleeper and I am a side sleeper… We found a manufacturer in NC. that offers a split head mattress. They will make it to our preference and ship in a box. We have Twin Size Rize adjustable bases that will work separate of each other. This is the make up that we are considering. What are your thoughts?
Split head Queen mattress
Top to Bottom
2" Quilted Organic Cotton fabric( has gel infused visco)
2" Gel Infused Visco
3" Latex C4 or C3?
6" HD Poly Foam.
13" Profile

Hi billy1956,
Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

[quote] We found a manufacturer in NC. that offers a split head mattress. They will make it to our preference and ship in a box. We have Twin Size Rize adjustable bases that will work separate of each other. This is the make up that we are considering. What are your thoughts?
(13")Split head Queen mattress
2" Quilted Organic Cotton fabric( has gel infused visco)
2" Gel Infused Visco
3" Latex C4 or C3?
6" HD Poly Foam.[/quote]

A split Queen is a good solution for partners with different sleeping styles, sleeping positions, and firmness/comfort needs. The adjustable bed in combination with a split mattress will also be able to accommodate different elevation needs for both sleepers. So, you are going in the right direction. First off I’d pay attention to the quality of the materials in this mattress (foam densities, especially the top 4 inches of memory foam which tells you about its durability and for how long you’ll sleep well on it before the foams start to break down). I would always make sure that you find the mattress specifications you need to know so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here Have you tested a similar mattress? (including the type of materials used}
You are not mentioning your BMI, height, weight, or history with your current mattress in your personal stats to be able to give you some more pointers. 13" profile is a fairly thick mattress. Do you need that much height? When you say ‘twin size rize adjustable base’ - Rize seems to make both twin and queen size – but I’d make sure that the mattress complies with the Rize warranty & vice versa as a queen mattress will not fit a twin mattress base.)

If you are questioning which mattress type or firmness level would be better for you and your wife this would be impossible to know for sure as you are the only ones that feel what you feel on any specific mattress but … there is some fairly extensive general information in the mattresses section of the site (particularly in the sections about sleeping style, preferences, and statistics along with putting the layers together and the page on tips and tricks here) that can give you some general concepts, guidelines, and insights about the effects of different body types, sleeping styles, and mattress designs for different people but this is only generic and not specific to any particular person and may be more complex than you really need to know.

The mattress shopping tutorial here has the basic information, steps, and guidelines including suggestions about how to test a mattress for what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can simplify your search and help you make the best possible choices. Perhaps most importantly it can also help you avoid the worst ones (like the major manufacturers or any manufacturer or brand that doesn’t disclose the quality of the materials in their mattresses and most mass-market stores that have little knowledge about the mattresses they sell). Did the manufacturer in NC provide the densities of the top 4 inches of foams used in the bed they can build for you?

If personal testing on similar mattresses locally isn’t possible (either because there are no reasonably similar mattresses that you can find locally or because you have difficulty finding out more detailed specs of mattresses you are testing) … then the next best way is more detailed discussions with an online manufacturer or retailer themselves. They are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else (including me) and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you. The more accurate and detailed the information you provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choices out of the options they have available. Of course the options you have available with each retailer or manufacturer (or with a particular mattress) and your ability to exchange layers or the mattress itself or use other forms of fine-tuning after your purchase or the return policy may also be an important part of your personal value equation or to offset the risk that can go with any online purchase.

Post #2 here also has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in each of them.

So I’m always happy to help the forum members here with “how” to choose, to act as a "fact check, or to help them find better manufacturers or retailers that have better quality and value but “what” to choose in terms of either a mattress or the balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment that may be suitable for a specific person is always up to the only person who can feel what you feel on a mattress and best left to personal testing and your own experiences or more detailed discussions with the more knowledgeable people at the retailers or manufacturers that sell a mattress you are considering.

Phoenix
Note added later.: I have moved your second post to the same thread to add it to the info and your stats

High Phoenix, Thanks for replying. This is the info they gave me on the foam. I am hoping you are someone know what the numbers mean and can tell me of the Quality?

I can not make it more than 10 inches thick with the covers I have. They only allow for a 10 inch height on the borders.

1. In the cover is a 1536 foam. Its low density, acts as a softening gel.
  2. The visco gel is 4 lb memory gel.
  3. The latex is dunlop, I am not quite sure of the density
  4. The base foam is 1836. the strongest you would want for a bed. I can get 2536. That is super firm. Almost like laying on the ground.

The split is right in the middle. 30 inches from the side, 33 inches down. All materials are Cetri-pur US. It is not flippable. That’s the one downfall. You can not flip or rotate it.
If you like the combination you came up with. I could just take an inch of the foam and that would allow it to fit in the cover. 5 inch base foam with 3 inch C4, and 2 inch visco gel. Would give you a nice medium firm bed

Hi billy1956,
A 10" inch high mattress would be more than sufficient to accommodate both of you. So that is not an issue.
At your BMI 4lb density for the memory foam should suffice in terms of durability even though generally additives like gel tend to contribute to a faster breakdown of the foam.
Latex of any type (Dunlop or Talalay) in any density for lower range BMI people like you and your wife is a good durable material as well.
To help with your decision I would ask some additional questions to see if there are any red flags. I would ask what is the density of the 5 or 6" polyfoam base layer. The durability guidelines for Polyurethane foam if your mattress is one-sided then I would make sure that the density of any polyfoam is at least 1.8 lb per cubic foot or higher. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum foam density of 1.5 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

As for the “nice medium firm bed,” this could be just what you’d need, but again only you can decide what you like best based on your personal testing and the balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment that may be suitable for you … you are the only person who can feel what you feel on a mattress.
Ideally, I would test this configuration before going ahead and ordering it and I’d pay special attention to the neutral alignment in all your sleeping positions. and spend enough time on this configuration to see if you are experiencing any pressure points. I would also ask about options they have available if the mattress does not work for you as well as you have hoped for. Is the mattress cover zippered so that you can adjust the comfort and exchange the layers if need be? If testing is not possible then a more in-depth discussion with the manufacturer would probably be your fastest way to asses a good match.

These are just a few more thoughts to keep in mind. We all spend a great deal of time sleeping and it’s worth taking the time to get it right.
Let us know how your journey progresses.
Phoenix