OMI (Organicpedic) 3 inch Wave Latex Topper

I’m a 115 lb side sleeper and often wake up with a stiff shoulder from too much pressure on my shoulder and have to switch to the other side. I prefer a super soft sleeping on a cloud kind of feel. I’ve decided that super plush spring mattresses don’t stay super plush for more than 5 years or so.

I’m looking to purchase a latex mattress. I went to a store last week to try them out for the first time. I tried the softest one they had but it wasn’t soft enough for my preference until a topper was added. My husband and I both liked the feel of the OMI 3 inch Wave latex topper. The wave pattern supposedly reduces pressure points and increases air flow (I also tend to sleep hot). My question is, is this wave topper just a marketing gimmick? Is it really any better than a regular 3 inch latex topper without the wave pattern? I can’t find any reviews on it. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Hi leelaur,

This would depend on the type and quality of the materials in the comfort layers of the mattress. Some materials (such as latex) are much more durable than others. A “typical” innerspring sold by most of the mainstream manufacturers uses lower quality polyfoam in the comfort layers and these are much less durable and don’t last nearly as long as higher quality and more durable materials. This is one of the reasons that it’s so important to know the type and quality of all the materials in any mattress you are considering (see this article).

Surface modifications such as convoluting or sculpting will affect the softness of the sleeping surface and to some degree the airflow as well. There is more about convoluting in post #2 here.

Your own testing or experience (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) is the best way to decide whether any mattress or mattress/topper combination is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I would also make some very careful “value” comparisons with OMI mattresses and toppers because while they are certainly high quality and the ability to test a mattress or a mattress/topper combination in person has some value as well … they are also significantly more costly than other latex mattresses or toppers that use the same material and you may be able to “approximate” the effect of the sculpted latex topper with a solid non sculpted topper that was in a lower ILD and was “enough” to add the additional softness and pressure relief that you need.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply, Phoenix!

Although we both liked the OMI Wave topper it still wasn’t giving me that super plush feel I desire. We’ve since learned about the Lanoodle topper and it sounds like exactly what I’m looking for based on everything I’ve read about it. We are getting close to making a final decision and purchase. We are leaning towards a Sleep EZ 10000 and the Lanoodle topper. Do you think this would be a wise purchase?

Hi leelaur,

As you probably know I think very highly of SleepEZ and they are a member of this site which means that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

You can see some of my comments and some comments from another member about the Lanoodles topper in post #2 here and the posts it links to and for those who are looking for some extra softness and “cush” with little risk of alignment issues it would certainly make a good choice but of course with more subjective perceptions each person’s specific experience can be unique to them.

Phoenix