On the search for a new mattress, and the importance of a warranty

Hello,

My wife and I live in Memphis TN and have been sleeping on a hand-me down innercoil mattress that has to be at LEAST 20 years old. We love it, but we recently moved and got a new bedroom set, and want to get a new mattress to match. Even though we arent “feeling” any negative effects on our bodies from this 20+ mattress, it surely cant be doing us many favors at this point.

This website has been a GODSEND in trying to research a new mattress for purchase. Before we started looking we were under the impression there were only like 2 options - inner coil or air(like sleep number). There are SO many options out there and this site has helped to sort out some of the different questions we had and give us a lot of information. Silly us, we thought getting 20 years out of a mattress was a pretty normal thing… obviously not quite :wink: .

With all that said, I have a few remaining questions and would love some input form the forum-goers here. being in Memphis, we have discovered there are not a a lot of direct-manufacturer sellers in the area. There a few that have englander and Jamison(and have contacted one about a quote on a Jamison). After research here and on sleeplikethedead.com, we are really liking the idea of latex, as it seems to have a lot of advantages and its durability seems to be as high, if not higher, than anything else.

With all that said, and from what we’ve read so far, we have kinda “honed” in on two possibilities, either the EuroTop Ultimate Dreams Queen from Brooklyn Bedding via Amazon, and then in the memory foam category, Select Foam Cirrus Supreme ES™ 11", from Selectfoam.com.

While we like the idea of latex, we discovered Selectfoam offers a LIFETIME warranty, and thought that was very interesting compared to Brooklyn Bedding’s 10 year warranty and that kind of became a contender as well.

Would ya’ll have any input on the comparison of these two beds, or how important these warranties would be? Again, based on our previous experiences with the mattress we have now, we would love to make this rather large purchase (our budget is around1500), last for as long as possible, even if 20 years might be a little unrealistic.

Thank you for any and all help; it is greatly appreciated!

Hi SigEpTendo,

Unfortunately it would be rare to find a mainstream mattress that lasts this long in today’s market. Mainstream (major brand) mattresses as a rule don’t use the same quality of materials or have as durable a construction (such as two sided construction) as they did 20 years ago.

You’ve probably already seen this but just in case … the better options or possibilities in the Memphis area I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

Memory foam and latex are two very different materials with completely different responses and feel and I would decide which you preferred based on local testing before deciding on one or the other. Not everyone will like either material and this would be a preference choice. Both of these manufacturers are members of the site which means that I believe they are among the best choices in the country in terms of quality and value but they are also apples to oranges comparisons which can’t really be meaningfully compared because of the differences between them in terms of materials and construction. In general terms though … when you have eliminated the worst choices and are making final choices and comparing “good to good” then your own personal value equation and the different objective, subjective, and intangible parts of any mattress purchase which are most important to you will also make a difference in your choice.

You can see some of my thoughts about warranties in post #4 here. Smaller manufacturers are usually more responsive to consumers who make reasonable warranty claims for the sake of their local reputation in the grey areas of coverage than larger manufacturers who tend to be more focused on finding reasons to deny warranty coverage and are more responsive to corporate profits, shareholders, or private equity groups.

As you will read, warranties don’t cover foam softening and aren’t for your lifetime but for the comfort lifetime of the material and most mattresses need to be replaced because of the loss of comfort or support that comes from foam softening long before there are permanent unweighted impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusions or because of hygienic reasons.

I would pay much more attention to the construction and the quality of all the materials and components in a mattress than I would a warranty which is more about marketing than about giving consumers a way to get a free mattress replacement if the mattress becomes unduring the warranty period.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for the reply! We have contacted some local retailers, namely King Furniture and they have a pretty extensive line of Jamison beds, including their latex ones, so hopefully by the end of the week we will be able to make our way to test out the latex beds, and anything else that strikes us.

The guy at King Furniture that I talked to on the phone was very nice and helpful.

We are looking at the silverspot in particular:
http://www.jamisonbedding.com/tlc-collection/silverspot

7 inch "Ultra premium high density foam core, and 2 2 inch layers of talalay latex.

Hi SigEpTendo,

I’m looking forward to hearing your feedback about your experience and testing there.

Phoenix