Online latex mattress purchase

Hi,

After many hours of researching, testing, and deliberation I have decided to purchase a 13" natural latex mattress from Flexus Comfort online. I went the online route because of a lack of many latex options in my area (Buffalo, NY). The prices of my few local options were just too high to swallow. After doing some latex testing with my wife I think I have an outline of what firmness/layers we prefer. I also intend to speak to Flexus over the phone to get their input and get split layers so that my wife and I can customize our side as needed.

My question is this–are there any disadvantages in any way to putting firmer latex layers on top of softer layers? I would probably only do this if our soft top layer ends up feeling too soft. I would then try the medium layer on top of the soft layer. Switching the layers instead of exchanging them would of course save me the return shipping costs. But, I am looking at this purchase like a long term investment and I don’t want to jeopardize the durability or quality of the design.

Thanks again for this great site,
mastridg

Hi mastridg,

This is what is called a dominating or dominant layer and there are certainly people that prefer it over the more “typical” progressive approach where the softer layers are on top of the firmer layers. There is more about dominating layers in post #33 here and the posts it links to.

There would be no disadvantage in terms of durability and if anything having the softest layer a little deeper in the mattress could increase durability slightly. Softer layers on top will usually soften or break down faster than firmer layers because firmness/softness and how much you compress a material is one of several factors that can affect durability.

You are certainly looking at a great quality/value choice.

Phoenix