Only a week to get a new mattress to help with pain - how to do my search?

Hi all,

I am moving to a new place in a week’s time and need to have a new mattress + frame for when I move in. I have some pain that my current 5-yr old unresearched mattress is undoubtably contributing to, so I really want to get one that will help instead of hinder me. I am not sure which types of layering will do that, or even what my preferences are (besides not the one I have!). I have read the essential posts plus some (mattress layers, PPP, personal value, etc), but how should I start with a short time frame?

Here are some additional details for my situation:

• I am 30-yr old ~175lb and a back/side sleeper, with frequent back/shoulder/hip pains.
  • My girlfriend is a ~160lb back/side sleeper who frequently stays over, so the bed would be sometimes shared.
  • I only plan to stay in my new place for 1–2 years.
  • I am aiming for a budget of $700-800, maybe up to $1000.

With these in mind, I definitely would love something that can help my shoulders and hips, and that won’t be slow (like memory foam) for changing my position when my girlfriend stays over. The price is a bit high for such a short period, perhaps, and I know mattresses have almost no resale after a short time, but I do want something that will do well for me. Has anyone had a good experience transporting a mattress after such a time instead of replacing it?

My first inclination was to simply start trying out some of the disruptor mattresses Pheonix has laid out as a good reference for, but I have no idea which. I’ve also the option of going to the local stores and sellers, but with a busy week ahead for my move and limited research time, I am not sure which would be the best way to go.

Any advice for my situation and for personally getting started on discovering what my preferences are and a mattress that will help with reducing my pain staring in this short time period?

Hi staefanam,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

It sounds as if you are on the right track in your search, reading through the mattress shopping tutorial, but it sounds as in your current situation that you’re looking for something that you can get quite quickly shipped to your home, so the thread that you linked to with the “Simplified Choice” mattresses would be a good start. There are many items there within your price range.

As you want something that is easier to for you to reposition in while you are using it, I’d make it easy and eliminate items that use memory foam in their upper comfort layers. As you are a side/back sleeper, look for something that either offers a “plush” or “medium” option or something that has an “adequate” amount of comfort layers as to allow for your shoulder and hips to sink in a bit while sleeping upon your side.

You’re correct that there isn’t too much value in a used mattress (unless you’re hiding your money in it :cheer: ), so I understand your desire to not invest too much into this product. But if you do decide to keep your mattress, most of the mattresses you’re considering are easily transported when moving to a new destination (albeit in their “fully inflated” size, not compressed).

Looking through the simplified choice list, there are quite a few items that would on the surface objectively meet your criteria. However, only your own personal testing will be able to tell if a product meets your needs, so be sure to investigate fully any potential return/exchange policy that any company you consider offers. I would have a detailed phone conversation with any manufacturer whose mattress you’re considering to gather their advice of what product in their lineup that they feel will provide you the back chance at success.

If you desire to be even more strict with your budget, post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better ever lower budget online options I’m aware of as well.

I know this is sort of a quick answer, but I sense that you have quite a few things on your plate and it sounds as if you’ve already done quite a bit of reading on the subject.

Phoenix

Not sure if this is OK or not but you might find that shopping with an online store a more comfortable and rewarding experience. Since our stores are online you can’t try out the bed ahead of time so we all have to offer liberal return policies. At Linebacker Mattress we give you 90 days from the day your receive the mattress. And you will NEVER be pressured by anyone at Linebacker Mattress, and other online retailers because we return the beds no questions asked with a full refund, even shipping cost. Because of that we don;t want you to purchase a bed that isn’t right for you.

Hi Linebacker Mattress,

I’ve deleted your posts, as they are promotional and violate the rules of the forum. You’re certainly welcome to contribute knowledge or fact-based information in the future.

Phoenix

Thanks Pheonix.

I decided to go with the Kiss mattress, in part because they said they could ship it quickly and by the end of the week. It also has the plush option, as well as a firm, and seem to have pretty good support and Rodger, who I talked to on the phone, was friendly and helpful about it.

The other options I’m considering, if this one doesn’t quite feel right are the other top 4 in the simplified choice list (BME, L&S, Sedona Sleep). I did talk to Nest about the L&S and it seems like it may take 2-3 weeks for a given order.

I’ll follow-up with how things go!

Hi stefanam,

Congratulations on purchasing your new mattress! :cheer: You certainly made a good quality/value decision.

I’m looking forward to your comments once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix