Open to any opinion -Why is this mattress buying so Hard?

Okay I am struggling with all of this.

Very confused.

I have read all the articles here ,called american foam companies,
latex,foam springs?definitely not tempu rpedic,.

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

thank you so much.

Hi kayla,

Your best chance of success in choosing a mattress that is the best “match” for you is to follow all the steps in the tutorial post one step at a time.

Are you stuck on one of the specific steps … and if so which one?

Post #21 here includes a list of the better online manufacturers and retailers I’m aware of that all ship across Canada.

Phoenix

I am almost ready to throw in the towel and buy garbage form a big chain and put a layer of 2 in talaly topper.I need a bed and it seems impossible…one store wants me to buy euro four —for 3800 and a topper for 1000 that is a 5,000 dollar bed.

I am clear on comfort and support ,not much else.

thanks

Hi Kayla,

I’m still not clear about which of the steps in the tutorial post you are “stuck” on (step 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) or if you have a specific question I can help with.

Do you have some more specific questions I can help with?

2 weeks is certainly plenty of time to make a good quality/value choice and there are many mattresses available to you that will work well with an adjustable bed.

Phoenix

sorry for not being clear,it would be #2 and #3

what kind of mattress core do I need ?

what kind of comfort layer do I need?

its been so long since my body has been aligned I have no idea,nor do I have a partner to help me.
I dont think two weeks is very long unless I go to the big chains.

Im alos concerned about price…

Hi kayla,

Step 1 is doing some basic reading (not studying) which I’m pretty sure you’ve done. It doesn’t matter if you remember everything or even if you only remember a little of what you’ve read because you only need to know enough to recognize when you are dealing with someone who is knowledgeable and experienced and is “educating” you about their mattresses instead of just trying to “sell you” anything you are willing to buy. These are the retailers and manufacturers that will already know what you would otherwise need to learn.

Step 2 is all about knowing what to avoid so that you don’t end up dealing with retailers or manufacturers that aren’t transparent about the materials in their mattresses, setting your budget range, and deciding on the types of materials and mattresses you are most interested in testing. Have you done this?

What is the midrange of your budget (the price you would like to stay under but would go over a little if there was a compelling reason to do so)?

What are the types of materials and mattresses you are most interested in testing or are you considering (Based on your comments I’m assuming you are most interested in latex … is this correct)?

Step 3 is deciding which stores you wish to deal with to test mattresses locally (so you can confirm which materials and types of mattresses you tend to prefer). If for some reason you aren’t able to test mattresses locally then the only alternative is to decide on the online retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with that sell the types of mattresses you are interested in that are inside your budget range. This will involve some phone calls so you can decide on the ones you are most comfortable dealing with and who are knowledgeable and experienced enough to provide you with good guidance on the phone.

Do you have a list of the local retailers or manufacturers you want to visit?

Have you done any local testing on different types of mattresses so you can confirm which types of mattresses and materials you tend to prefer?

Have you decided on the online retailers or manufacturers that you are interested in working with (from the Canada list I linked especially)?

Step 4 is to choose your finalist at each of the local or online retailers/manufacturers you are considering. This will either involve testing mattresses in person using the testing guidelines (if they are local) or basing your choice on a more detailed conversation on the phone (if they are online) so they can help “talk you through” the options they have available and provide the guidance you will need to choose which of the options they have available will likely be the best match for you. If you aren’t certain whether a mattress is a good match for you (either locally or online) then you will also need to make sure that there is a good return or exchange policy so that you have good options after your purchase once you sleep on the mattress just in case your sleeping experience indicates you make a choice that isn’t suitable for you to sleep on.

These are both part of step 4 (not steps 2 or 3) and the only way to choose either one is to either test mattresses in person for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post or to talk with online retailers or manufacturers so they can provide the guidance to help you decide on a single finalist at each of the ones you are working with based on your more detailed phone conversations. This isn’t something you will ever know or be able to decide on without actual testing or based on your own personal experience no matter how much you think about it or try and figure it out based on “theory” so trying to decide this without any personal experience is probably where you are getting “stuck”. It will either be a matter of your own personal testing or deciding on a finalist based on your conversations in which case you will actually need to sleep on it in person before you know whether it’s a good match for you (which is the reason you would be wise to make sure there is a good return/exchange policy if you aren’t confident about the finalist you are choosing). At the end of this step you will have your list of finalists (the one mattress you would purchase at each of the retailers or manufacturers that you are seriously considering if there were no other options available to you).

Step 5 is to narrow down your finalists to a single mattress that you decide to purchase by making good comparisons between them based on your conversations (or your local testing) and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.’

From your comments it sounds like you are working on step 3 which is deciding on the manufacturers or retailers to deal with and unless you know of others that you are confident would make a good choice I would focus on either the better local options that are available to you (I can link you to a local list if you let me know your city or postal code) or the ones in the Canadian online list (or any others that you are comfortable dealing with) and look at their websites and talk with the ones that are most interesting to you so you can start to choose your finalists.

Phoenix

Yes I have read everything.Ty for your reply. I hope people will read this so they are aware.

Hi kayla,

I would read my last reply, answer each question there, and follow all the steps (which are the same as the steps in the tutorial post) one step at a time.

I would tend to take a more “methodical” and step by step approach than you are using because the more “random” approach you are using will most likely lead to more and more confusion and frustration.

Phoenix

You are a smart man ,Phoenix,I will do just that.

Hi Phoenix ,I found a floor model OMI (Organicpedic) lago navous for 3600 dollars ,she said its pristine but tit is 2013 model and she she said pristine condition.

Now they use dunlop and I managed to try out the dunlop lago it was okay and firm enough ,much better than what i got.

lady says the 2013 is much like this dunlop 2014 model…but it is talallay a bit softer ,they only changed because elf GOL certification…

How much of this can i believe ?as I really need a bed and 35,000 was about what I could spend
Please gov eke your opinion as soon as you can as I have to decide.

Now the model I really wanted was the terra are you ready?,6.400 without box spring…oh my a beautiful bed a bit soft but nice…Not sure i can afford that.it was dunlop

Ok Phoenix ,I value your opinion and i am running out of options.Lastly is it true these beds made of different latex layers are not workable on adjustables as the layers will shift,make sense?
so the OMI beds are one piece…
again buying a floor model,trusting sales lady that it is much like 2014 model and no return ,but a warranty if i get rid of the adjustable which I plan to do…in purchasing this,my worry is if it is too soft ,I cannot make it firmer…

I am running out of time here so may I ask what you think?

thanks so much anyone familiar with lago form OMI could offer an opinion,I know they are over priced but I am having a hard time up here with beds.

Why did OMI change to dunlop ,was this true about gol certification
looking for your advice.
K

Hi kayla,

[quote] lady says the 2013 is much like this dunlop 2014 model…but it is talallay a bit softer ,they only changed because elf GOL certification…

How much of this can i believe ?[/quote]

You can read more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here and there is more about organic Dunlop in post #6 here. The choice between different types and blends of latex is really a preference choice.

They are probably giving you accurate information about the type of latex in the mattress so I’m not clear about what it is that you aren’t certain you should believe. Could you be more specific?

[quote]as I really need a bed and 35,000 was about what I could spend
Please gov eke your opinion as soon as you can as I have to decide.

Now the model I really wanted was the terra are you ready?,6.400 without box spring…oh my a beautiful bed a bit soft but nice…Not sure i can afford that.it was dunlop[/quote]

While the Terra is a very high quality mattress … I’m also not clear why you are considering paying this much (for a floor model especially) when there are so many other latex options available to you that use the same or similar materials and are in much lower price ranges and that have better exchange or return policies. Is there a reason you are looking at latex mattresses in this price range when it is so far out of your budget?

Latex is very flexible and latex mattresses work very well on an adjustable bed. Latex is also very “sticky” and doesn’t tend to shift inside the mattress (see post #2 here).

This is more of a marketing decision because they are more focused on organic mattresses and there isn’t any “organic” Talalay latex.

Phoenix

Phoenix
fiirst those latex layers i spoke about are not uncovered that have cotton on them ,not just pure latex on latex as I know latex is sticky…would that not make a difference,yes i could see it each layer was not encased in cotton.but they are and .it does slide on the adjustable so why wouldn’t they slide inside each other?
as for considering the terra ,you dont seem to understand where are the alternatives?
where here?in The US lots of alternatives, here ,not so much.

Don’t give up! It took me a while to find our mattress too, and it gets more confusing before it gets better.

Trust me though, when you find “the right one” you will be in heaven!!

Hi kayla,

They should be fine with an adjustable … even if they are covered. The worst case is that you may need to do some adjusting if they do shift but this shouldn’t be an issue. Having said that … I believe that OMI (Organicpedic) will only warranty their mattresses if they are purchased with their own foundation (see here) and I don’t believe that floor models are covered by their warranty either (see the attachment) so even if it would “work” on an adjustable you would void your warranty which wouldn’t be a good idea.

[quote]as for considering the terra ,you dont seem to understand where are the alternatives?
where here?in The US lots of alternatives, here ,not so much.[/quote]

I provided a list of alternatives that ship across Canada in my reply here.

If you let me know your city or postal code I can also let you know about any of the options or possibilities I’m aware of that may be reasonably close to you as well (I’ve asked you this before but I don’t see your reply).

You won’t find one “exactly” the same (there is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or approximate another one in post #9 here) but there are many others that would use the same type of latex that would be “similar” and may be just as good a “match” for you in terms of PPP that are in much lower budget ranges and have better exchange/return options.

Some of the online options available to you do allow for returns so you can use your own actual sleeping experience to “test” the mattress for the entire length of the trial period (instead of just 20 minutes in a store) with little risk.

If you have a component mattress where you can rearrange or exchange individual layers then you could make it firmer in either the comfort or support layers but with a “finished” mattress its really not possible to “firm up” a mattress outside of adding a firmer topper which would give you a firmer feeling sleeping surface but wouldn’t “firm up” the support layers underneath you and in some cases may make any alignment issues worse.

This certainly isn’t an option I would consider … especially if you are in higher weight ranges … since you will likely be back to having the same or even worse issues than you do now fairly quickly.

Phoenix

Hi Thank you for your reply.

One other question ,I called OMI (Organicpedic) a they wouldn’t give me the ild of the lago or any ,said it was proprietary information what odes that mean ,I found out from Texas mattress makers it should be at least 32 ILD.
and form the forum so what does this mean?

I am grateful

Hi kayla,

ILD is a “comfort spec” and not a “quality spec” and isn’t important to know when you are testing a mattress in person because your body will tell you whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP much more than knowing the ILD of the layers. Most people wouldn’t have the knowledge or experience to know how different combinations of ILD would work for them with different types of latex anyway (and ILD alone isn’t the only spec that will make a difference in how the mattress feels and performs) so for most people, knowing the ILD of the layers would have no practical use and may be more confusing than helpful. There are many manufacturers that treat the ILD of their mattresses as proprietary (see post #10 here)

This depends entirely on your confidence about whether a mattress is a good match for you and on the options that are important to you after a purchase. I linked these in my previous replies but there is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which would include the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP, the durability of the materials and components inside the mattress, and the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price and the options that you have after a purchase if a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for). There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) and how to minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here. A component mattress with individual layers and a zip cover generally has more options after a purchase to fine tune the mattress (either by exchanging or rearranging layers) than most “finished” mattresses so it can reduce the risk of a mattress purchase.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #2 here. You are fortunate to live in Calgary because you have some very good local options available in the area that would be well worth visiting :).

Phoenix

Unfortunate I think visited them all…
1 said go to bariatric remember?
2-all are from 3600 and up
3-no returns
4 no trials
5-only one is haslted haven’t tried and I am tired ,
I was looking into a spring need at least 2000 coil count and a good coil like berlekley ergonomics.Do not ship to here.

So here is why I say we are held hostage,company purchase these lovely beds ,latex or spring like berlekley ergonomics form US…then charge much more than bed is worth .
OR they make them and charge a fortune ,no kidding.
all orders 6 to 8 week wait .
I could use a bed in 2 weeks remember?
not possible unless I buy the floor model lago.

I am pretty upset about people over charging for latex and other beds or any bed for that matter.
Here is how it goes,we will make a bed you dont like it ,too bad final sale …and thats fine but you know at least have a decent showroom or talk about latex and what you can expect.

TMASC sells a pillow for 350 dollars,that is ridiculous.

Lucky ? i think not.
online buying mostly do not ship here ,on it goes,I can see why people go to beautyrest here THEY are available…
it doesn’t matter anyway
I have one choice left …what do you think of the lago in talaly medium?
I am tired of searching anymore.

Which was your “right one?”

Hi kayla,

Yes … all the better retailers or manufacturers in Calgary will be able to give you good guidance about which of their mattresses are suitable for higher weight ranges.

There are at least some latex mattresses in the area that are less than this (see here for example) and many of the online options you have available are less than this as well.

[quote]3-no returns
4 no trials[/quote]

I haven’t checked the specific return or exchange policies at the Calgary stores but some of them have good options after a purchase to fine tune the mattress if you need to and some of the online options that are available to you also have good exchange/return policies.

[quote]5-only one is haslted haven’t tried and I am tired ,
I was looking into a spring need at least 2000 coil count and a good coil like berlekley ergonomics.Do not ship to here.[/quote]

I’m not sure why you believe you need a 2000 coil count because it certainly isn’t the case. You can read more about innersprings in this article and in post #10 here. TMASC sells Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses in Calgary.

[quote]So here is why I say we are held hostage,company purchase these lovely beds ,latex or spring like berlekley ergonomics form US…then charge much more than bed is worth .
OR they make them and charge a fortune ,no kidding.
all orders 6 to 8 week wait .
I could use a bed in 2 weeks remember?
not possible unless I buy the floor model lago.[/quote]

Needless to say I don’t share most of your thoughts here (at least when it comes to better retailers and manufacturers in the industry). You certainly have options available that should take much less than 6 to 8 weeks and would be available inside your 2 week time frame (either locally or online).

I can’t speak to whether it’s a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (only your own personal testing or sleeping experience can tell you that) but it uses high quality materials and there are no weak links in the mattress.

While I don’t think this is the only choice you have … only you can decide which mattress is the “best value” for you. If it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and it also compares well to all your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price and the options you have available after a purchase) then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thank you Im sure I will find something .