Open to any opinion -Why is this mattress buying so Hard?

Hi Kayla,

Again … the specs you listed are incomplete and I need ALL the information listed here including the type of foam (polyfoam, memory foam, or latex foam because “foam” doesn’t specify the type and isn’t meaningful) the density of any polyfoam or memory foam, the type and blend of any latex, and the thickness of each layer listed in order from top to bottom or bottom to top and which add up to the thickness of the mattress (to make sure there are no missing layers) to make any meaningful comments about any mattress.

Phoenix

O

Hi kayla,

I would prefer you listed the layers in the specific mattress you are considering in the format that is described here (making sure that you mention whether it is top to bottom or bottom to top) like this …

Line 1: number of inches, description of the material
Line 2: number of inches, description of the material
Line 3: number of inches, description of the material
etc until you have listed all the layers or components in a mattress.
Total thickness of the mattress = number of inches.

This way I don’t have to “sort through” your descriptions with all the “extra” information that you’ve included.

If I understand you correctly the first option would be …

2" of blended Talalay latex
8" of Energia (you didn’t specifiy the density) or 3 lb polyfoam
for a total of 10"

Is this correct?

Your second option would be the same except it would use 3" of blended Talalay … is this also correct?

If these are correct then both of them use high quality and durable materials and neither of them would have any weak links although very soft layers would be less durable with your weight than firmer layers. You also wouldn’t need to use Energia in the base layer unless your testing clearly indicated that you preferred it. Hopefully you have carefully tested the specific combination of materials that you would be purchasing to make sure it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (and you aren’t “guessing” about whether it is or not) but if you aren’t certain that it is then the exchange or return policy would become a more important part of your purchase decision.

You were also mentioning about changing the thickness of the base layer but if the materials are the same type and density then this would only change the “feel” of the mattress and not the quality of the materials and this wouldn’t have any weak links either. You don’t need to find out the blend of the Talalay because blended Talalay is always about a 70% synthetic and 30% natural blend (there isn’t a choice).

I can’t feel what you feel or see you on the mattress so you would know more about how your mattress feels or how far you sink into it than I would.

Phoenix

ok thank you ,the energia is 5 lbs but it can be too hard sometimes,
yes correct ,the two mattresses,just the top different.

I feel the 3lb foam would be ok in a 10 in mattress,
i am undecided about a 2 ir 3 inch top of talaly as 3 inches is a lot because 4 was way too much.

i tried the firmer model giving me alignment and feel this may be better,
10 in total
top 2 in of talalay
8 inches foam.
3 inches gives more pressure relief,I think it would be fine to but 4 is overkill.
i trust the builder and feel he could do a good job,
and have looked at materials.

going there again ,if not custom there is a possible return,adding 1 inch top is custom
i hate to leave myself without pressure relief,so i will visit and ask more questions,

ty for your time 'much appreciated

Hi Phoenix
I am back with an update . I have successfully ruled out 2 possibilities .whew you were getting pretty frustrated I am sure .
The Essentia is not an option for many reasons -only 8 in and also want out of memory foam type as I am on the wrong thing anyway now.
The lago navous -omi is out As I tried again and sink through to firm layer Ouch .
Okay so have narrowed it down to 3
1-sleep tek medium soft-medium 3800
2-green sleep -vichence at 3700
3-a custom 10 in by dorimer
Pretty good huh?

Surprised myself in a good way -not good still no bed. Well I can have one of two within a week and those 2are green sleep and the dorimer. I’ve decided to make a decision on the next day or two.
You are aware of both the green sleep is soft soft in firmness but has options.
I am not anxious to sleep on poly and latex too for comfort. Unless someone in the forum or you thinks it’s a grand idea.
Since I would like a solution in a week I can go green sleep. I got to try it in the store and layers are exchangeable. Although it is soft I prefer a soft bed and I seemed aligned . I would only do the poly thing as a fix until I went to latex anywsy. I am going to check out the poly option tomorrow and if I don’t like it much then going to go with green sleep . If that doesn’t work will order sleep tek. That is only 4 weeks out.
I’ve done my homework and these are the finalists -I’m pretty tired and glad I could narrow it down.
Hopefully I will get something by next week just after surgery and be ok with it.
If you object to the green sleep let me know as I cannot walk after tues and then it will be a month or two before solving this.
Thanks for your time and good advice
K

Hi kayla,

[quote]1-sleep tek medium soft-medium 3800
2-green sleep -vichence at 3700
3-a custom 10 in by dorimer
Pretty good huh?[/quote]

I’m glad to see you are narrowing things down and assuming that your choice at Dormir is the latex/polyfoam hybrid you described earlier then all of your choices use good quality materials and there are no “weak links” in any of them.

There is also more about some of the more general differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

If you are happy with all the options you have considered (or haven’t considered) and are down to finalists that are choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them, then your final choice (see post #2 here) would really be a matter of “best judgement” based on your own careful testing and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Phoenix
here are the specifics of one of my finalists available in one week.
please advise as soon as possible
the price is 3,700.plus tax plus transport from edmonton because the company doesn’t usually sell a matters form their other location.even thought it is the same company .so transport would be apron 300.00 between their stores a cost i would be responsible for .so it would be over 4,000.00 .Now green sleep comes with specific box springs,I can oat them here as well.but i haveonky the adjustable and cannot afford their box spring(1.600)
please advise as soon as possible.thnak you so much.I can have this mattress within a week if I pay for transport.

here are specs
Green Sleep Vicence Product Details

Mattress layers (from top to bottom):
100% Certified Organic Cotton Velour Cover
100% pure sheep’s wool from Texel island in The Netherlands
(1,225 grams per square metre / 36 ounces per square yard)
Texel sheep’s wool is certified pH balanced (pH 7) - skin friendly for sensitive individuals
100% natural wool fire barrier (zero chemical flame retardants)
9" 100% natural rubber tree latex:
Top layer: 3" Extra Soft Rubber
Middle layer: 3" Custom Rubber Topper (your choice of soft, medium or firm for each half of bed)
Bottom layer: 3" Firm Rubber
100% Certified Organic cotton bottom cover
Additional rubber plates available for purchase
Made in Canada

my two top layers would be soft soft

more on delivery but hey are choosing to charge me for delivery in this case.over 300.00

“This item automatically qualifies for free delivery nearly anywhere in Canada or to the Continental US. Deliveries in Calgary, Edmonton & most larger centres in Alberta include full placement and in-home setup at no additional charge. Deliveries to other locations are to your front door or a freight depot if you are remotely located.”

I am not rermotely located

This is sleeptek euro 4 available in 4 weeks apron.

2" Natural latex topper in Soft
4" Natural latex core
Choice of Soft, Medium or Firm for each half of the mattress (queen and king only)
Choice of Soft, Medium or Firm for entire mattress
4" Natural latex base layer
Choice of Medium or Firm for each half of the mattress (queen and king only)
Choice of Medium or Firm for entire mattress
All rubber layers are 100% natural rubber tree latex
All rubber layers are Eco-Institute certified for purity (no styrene-butadiene)
Cover is 100% certified organic cotton
Naturally flame retardant wool
Extremely durable, flexible and resilient
Naturally antibacterial, hypoallergenic, mould and dust mite free
Fully zippered for easy transport, assembly, and customization
Available as a mattress only, with the matching Euro foundation or a simple organic canvas wrapped foundation
Made in Canada
my choice would be medium support and medium soft or soft top.
Your sleep system is covered by Sleeptek’s 10 warranty. The Euro line features an additional 10 years of pro-rated coverage for 20 years total. The Mattress & Sleep Company will act on your behalf in the event of any potential warranty claim.
Should you discover another retailer anywhere in Canada or the United States offering this model for less, simply let us know. We’ll match the price either before your purchase or up to 120 days after your purchase.

this is the sleeptek cost 3800.

sorry to bother but may i have your opinions on these as must decide today ,If I choose sleeptek it is 4-5 weeks and I can have green sleep next friday which meets my needs for surgery.

I need to order today.
my other option is wait for sleeptek and have dorimer,make a mattress in between at cost of 18.000 or 2,000

I was able to try the green sleep and it seemed better alignment than my tempur.but there are no guarantees.was also offered a berkely spring mattress only for 1,500. as an interim solution which was not model suggested by berkley for me ,but I di try it ,very little if no pressure relief.so I ruled it out.

It reads free delivery in Canada but I am being charged for this ?This is the one suspicious thing I find.However i have four other hidden costs with this company in the past.
please advise.

more on foundations and delivery for greens sleep.
also I intend to use adjustable and unsure if this voids warranty.

Normally the foundation or box spring component of your mattress set is an afterthought and not an important factor in the decision process. However, Green Sleep foundations are different. The S-200 and S-300 are ergonomic suspension systems, offering strategic benefits which a standard rigid slat system or box spring simply cannot offer:

Enhanced ergonomics
Superior pressure relief
Longer mattress life
Think of a suspension foundation kind of like the suspension on a vehicle. With a normal rigid foundation, energy is transferred from the sleeper, through the mattress, and then when this energy hits the rigid foundation, the force is simply being sent back up to the sleeper. This means increased pressure, tossing and turning.

By acting as a shock absorber, the Green Sleep ergonomic bases are able to absorb and dissipate this energy into the base of the bed. Also, ergonomics are greatly enhanced as the flexible foundation is now helping to cradle the sleeper, further improving the capabilities of any mattress placed on top of these wonderful bases. In fact, The Mattress & Sleep Company often pairs a Green Sleep S-200 or S-300 with mattresses from other brands simply for the benefits offered by these special foundations.

S-200	S-300

Primary Construction Untreated pure seasoned kiln-dried Poplar Untreated pure seasoned kiln-dried Poplar
Finishing No synthetic glues, dyes or finishing sprays No synthetic glues, dyes or finishing sprays
Fabric Upholstered in 100% Organic Cotton Velour Upholstered in 100% Organic Cotton Velour
or optionally:
Natural Flax Linen
Natural Chocolate Linen
Suspension System Wood slats & dowels on natural rubber tree latex Dowels on interchangeable polymer anchors
Suspension Characteristics Enhanced ergonomics, softer feel Excellent ergonomics, firmer response
Wooden Legs Unfinished wooden legs are included
(2 Âź" diameter | 10" height) Unfinished wooden legs are included
(2 Âź" diameter | 10" height)
Wooden Leg Height 10" | 25.4 cm
(Height increase is 8 ½") 10" | 25.4 cm
(Height increase is 8")
Foundation Height 6 ½" | 17 cm 6 ½" | 17 cm
Foundation w/ Legs Installed 15" | 38 cm 14 ½" | 37 cm
Other Notes Compatible with standard bedframes & headboards Compatible with standard bedframes & headboards
Compatible Models Any Mattress Any Mattress

Availability & Delivery Estimates

Please allow 3-5 weeks for delivery. Delivery times vary based on production capacity, availability of raw materials and shipping distance from Nicolet, QC.

Delivery Costs & Shipping Information

This item automatically qualifies for free delivery nearly anywhere in Canada or to the Continental US. Deliveries in Calgary, Edmonton & most larger centres in Alberta include full placement and in-home setup at no additional charge. Deliveries to other locations are to your front door or a freight depot if you are remotely located.

Phoenix please advise asap as I am about to make this purchase,I was told if the green sleep doesn’t work I can then order the sleeptek.and use the green sleep as an interim for 4-6 weeks.
thanks so much

this is available in a warehouse in edmonton,the green sleep, so only a week wait time.

sorry for the many posts but want to be clear on this purchase and offer as much info as possible,I am confused by delivery as website says one thing was charged for another.
We include free delivery to most locations across Canada. Deluxe in-home setup is included in areas where we have stores.

this is for adjustable I was charged 150? for adjustable delivery I am confused by this ,what do you think.?

Hi Kayla,

[quote]here are the specifics of one of my finalists available in one week.
please advise as soon as possible[/quote]

As you know from my previous replies … I don’t make recommendations for specific manufacturers/retailers or mattresses or about “what” to choose because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for me to know which manufacturer or mattress is the best match for someone else in terms of PPP or in terms of “value” because each person’s needs and preferences and the parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them can be very different so I can only help with “how” to choose.

When you are down to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing, your conversations with each of them, your confidence about the suitability of each one, the prices, the options you have after a purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

All of your finalists use high quality materials and there are no weak links in any of them.

[quote]more on foundations and delivery for greens sleep.
also I intend to use adjustable and unsure if this voids warranty.[/quote]

The Green Sleep mattress can be used on a firm non flexing support system (which would include an adjustable bed) but I would make sure that you have tested it with a non flexing support system underneath it that would be similar to your adjustable bed to make sure that the combination is a good match for you in terms of PPP because a foundation that flexes under a mattress can affect how it feels and performs.

The Green Sleep Warranty also specifies that their warranty is reduced by 50% if the mattress is used on an adjustable bed so you may want to take this into consideration as well if that’s important to you (or check to make sure that this would apply in Canada as well).

That’s a good option to have available.

[quote]I am confused by delivery as website says one thing was charged for another.
We include free delivery to most locations across Canada. Deluxe in-home setup is included in areas where we have stores.

this is for adjustable I was charged 150? for adjustable delivery I am confused by this ,what do you think.? [/quote]

They would be your best source of information or clarification about these types of questions so you would need to ask them about the specifics of your delivery costs or what you were charged.

Phoenix

thank you so much for the information! and your quick response.Much appreciated

as for testing on an adjustable it is not possible,but they have said it preforms a little firmer.about 10%
there are no returns total cost about 4,100,with delivery .
exchange layers are 500.00

also shown that sleeptek and green sleep both fabrics “bunch” when adjustable is head raised in high position.

absolutely no returns ,no exchanges.
was told it would be very uncomfortable like a big coat that bunches together.
Greensleep would preform worse as it is double wrapped.

I tried the green sleep in store for 5 minutes as they are busy people and have no more time to accommodate me.so as for PPP its a wildcard ,I have run out of options there and am going to just say its better than my tempur,for alignment.
I am out of time,as it is ,wont get this mattress for at least 10 days.

what do you htinkof the “bunching” problem ?

I think you misunderstand on ordering sleeptek it would be an additional 3,800 for the ordering of sleeptek if green sleep didn’t work so totalling over 8,000 dollars
any ideas on that?

if i could go with any other company ,I would but there is no other dealer in my area for green sleep or sleeptek
just a thought to add.
I dont like people advertising one thing and then precluding it with another.
thanks

Hi Kayla,

What you think about how it would affect you is more important than what I think because you are the one that would feel the effects of any “bunching” in the cover. This wouldn’t be uncommon with thicker quilted covers.

Again … this is part of your personal value equation that you would need to take into account. In effect it sounds like you would be buying a new mattress and only you can decide whether this would be “worth it” to you.

Testing it on any firm non flexing support system would be closely comparable to using it on an adjustable bed. If you can’t test it in person this way then you would have to “imagine” what 10% firmer would feel like to you and take any additional risk in terms of PPP into account as part of your personal value equation.

As I’ve mentioned many times … you have many options available to you and you certainly aren’t limited to GreenSleep or Sleeptek. If you believe that they are advertising one thing and doing something else then it would make sense to me to ask them to clarify their policies and the reason for any discrepancies that may have been part of your purchase.

Phoenix

NO I don’t believe they are doing that at all.I was explained why this delivery option was different in between posts …gathering information is sometimes difficult.
these people are at least transparent.
I have ruled out as posted in previous posts my other alternatives.
as is
1- poly foam is uncertain also a risk in that I was told right up front foam I would not know what i was getting as not using enrgia anymore,they are still an option if I can get a higher density polyfoam
2-essentia problematic
3-OMI -sank thru to firmer layer in lago need pressure so firmer models not working for pressure points and terra way too expensive and cancels out the adjustable was told terra not usable on adjustable.
those were my finalists ,and i checked out two others on your list but one not quality for price,second not able to create mattress for me.

so that is my final thing either green sleep or sleeptek ,order green sleep,if not working switch layers.if not working then try sleeptek.
okay so if you have anything to add my search is here.

does this make sense to you?
I do have a question on body pillows and not sure if you can answer,my physic says body pillow good for knee surgery and everyone should sleep w one anyway.
I fond a memory foam one close by,only going with that because knee will hurt and wondering if cheap option may work too?
thank you so much