Open to any opinion -Why is this mattress buying so Hard?

why is it random?

I have many opportunities to spend money on a bed and Virtually NONE to try even at the bloody store.
NONE that don’t carry a risk.
here are examples of risk
-sleeptec no trial -they do not have my configuration on display
-omi floor model no trial-doesnt want to remove form box
-berkley no trial -they do not have my model on display

and now dormer-no trial on new foam.

so these I can try
essentia
-omi beds
-greensleep(not my config)

why is this random.and who do you suggest I get to make that organic latex bottom of at least 6 in medium firm and that soft 3 in talalay top?

two of your suggested people told me to go to bariatric.
so I am plum out of ideas.
I asked my sister and she would not buy a bed she hasn’t tried.
I trust her.
I could fly to california i I guess or to toronto or somewhere else but that might be difficult as you can imagine’
any ideas cause i am plum out —
except for maybe a new tempur whichI do know about and wont do- or the local big bed company
I am plum out of ideas and places to go?
Maybe you have some ideas?
as far as risk they are ALL risky.
I dont see how this process is random at all.

enough is going to be enough and will order the 6,500 OMI (Organicpedic) but of course then i will be stuck with it.

I have been to all of your suggestions ,ALL of them so I have nowhere to go and I am VERY upset.In tears in fact.
thanks

This is a very informative site ,and its good you’re here.
My question is,You have said that you speak with many of the mattress makers,do you speak with them specifically about the people in these forums looking for quality beds?
I was just curious,thanks.
K

Hi Kayla,

It seems that you may not be reading most of the information and questions in my previous replies and are “jumping” from one idea or mattress to another without following the steps I would normally suggest “one step at a time” and seeing them through until each step is complete (see my similar comments in reply #6 here as well as some of my more detailed replies in some of my other replies in this topic).

You also aren’t providing specific answers to my questions in many of my previous replies which makes it very difficult for me to help you any further.

A bariatric bed is designed for higher weight ranges so I’m not clear why this isn’t a good suggestion.

If your sister has lots of experience in the industry and is very familiar with different mattress materials and designs then she may be a good source of guidance but if she isn’t then I’m not so sure she would be the best source of guidance.

Again if you can go back and carefully re-read my previous replies and provide some specific answers to the questions I’ve asked that you haven’t answered yet then I may be able to make some additional suggestions.

Yes … any mattress choice has some degree of risk involved … especially when your circumstances and health situation is more challenging … but I have made a number of suggestions that can help in reducing risk even though it can never be eliminated.

I’m not so sure that this would be the best choice for you but if you are absolutely confident enough that this would be a good match for you in terms of PPP when you sleep on it so that any return or exchange policies aren’t important to you and it’s also compares well to all your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it may indeed be your “best choice” but it certainly wouldn’t be mine and I don’t think it would be the “final choice” choice for most people.

Phoenix

with all due respect,you cannot see I am desperate? I have a very worn out bed and something important approaching.perhaps this is why I am trying a “different” approach.But maybe i just have to wait?
I dont understand which questions you are looking for ?
Bariatricis not a good choice and they dont normally make queen mattresses.
it is not necessary and it was the tmasc told me that.

so If not necessary why do it ? they are much more expensive .I am still considering the sleeptek as it seems reasonable.
but what were the other questions? sorry missed them.

as for my sister ,thats just her policy and of course she has only bought her own mattresses.no she is not an expert.I will go back to post #6 and see your questions ok?

Kayla,

Go back through this topic and read all my posts carefully (so I don’t have to keep repeating the same things all over again) and you will see the questions I have asked that you haven’t answered yet.

Phoenix

ok here are the retailers i visited
1- TMSC
2-Rivas
3-dorimer
4-ikea
5-someplace who’s name I forget in the south of the city
6-sleep country
7-essentia

I can no longer wander around with a broken knee in sub zero temps(at times) and test mattresses.I wake up screaming in pain with my leg stuck in that tempur every night.
I have to take what I can get in a mattress for interim.
at this point or suffer more with a cut up post surgery leg
I can’t do this anymore right now.

Phoenix

update on dorimer bed,and a question.
decoded not to purchase 3yr old floor model,too soft anyway.
Okay they are discontinuing their energa foam but may have enough to make one more bed,if ordering like soon.

if not it is a 3 lb foam.How is that for weight of poly?
.he says it will hold me.Your blog says not good must reread.
if making custom there are 3 choices.
1- make dreamweaver with only 3 inches talalay top ,he said i might feel the support layer maybe uncomfortable.

2- use3 lb foam with 3 inch talaly top 7 in foam =firmer bed.

3- use energia base 7 in and 3inch talaly unsure of that mix.
4- use 3 inches memory foam and 7 inches energia or 3 lb base foam ,tried it with energa went thru the memory foam and felt the core on hip,didn’t like that.3 inch memory foam and 7 inches 3 lb foam did not feel the core.The memory foam is new less heat better movement .
those are my choices.
again can make a bed softer with topper but cannot make soft bed harder.
So 3lb foam is softer ? Is that correct.?any idea what lb foam in tempur?

i plan to tell OMI (Organicpedic) no purchase without trial taking floor model out of box.
essentia is a wildcard for me,8 inches doesn’t give me height for a broken knee.

and as for berkley topper nice to have but no room in condo.

custom with dorimer is not returnable so best know what i want and need.

If i make a bed with 3lb foam will it hold me up? in your opinion?

guess thats the question.
i will reread the foam blog,and appreciate your reply.
thanks …Apologies about the mad posting ,must be pain madness,comes and goes.try not to take pain meds.

these are my finalists and if nothing works will have to consider something else.
Next to finalists are sleeptek,but it is 8 weeks out or new OMI same timeframe.

Dorimer would be a temporary solution if it didn’t work at least spending only 1800,not 3800. its a better risk for now.
do you agree?
thank you in advance.
K

For support layers I would use a guideline of 1.8 lb density for polyfoam unless once again you are in a lower budget range in which case I would use 1.5 lb density as a minimum density polyfoam support layer (support layers are not usually the weak link of a mattress). Using slightly lower quality/density support layers is a better budget tradeoff than using lower quality materials in the comfort layers. Once again though if the comfort layers are thinner and the support layer is part of the top 5" or 6" of a mattress and/or you are in a higher weight range (@ the low 200’s or higher) I would consider using higher quality/density support layers as well. I would also want to make sure that any polyfoam is manufactured in North America or if it’s not that its CertiPur certified (or has a similar or better certification such as OekoTex).

so 3 lbs is twice that almost ,would it be supportive? for much higher weights? i would ask about CertiPur

Hi kayla,

As you know from my previous replies I can’t speak to whether any mattress would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how “supportive” it may be (either in terms or primary or secondary support) because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and only your own testing or sleeping experience can tell you that … I can certainly speak to the quality/durability of the materials but I would need all the information listed here (listed in order either from top to bottom or bottom to top) to be able to make any meaningful comments about any mattress.

Phoenix

ok 3lb foam
then there is entergia possibly
then the memory foam is 4lbs
and the talalay is blended.
24ild
you can see the configs in my last post.
hope that works,and hey you are pretty famous…most bedmakers familiar with this site…that is a Good thing.
hope this is enough info
thank you
K

Hi Kayla,

Again … the specs you listed are incomplete and I need ALL the information listed here including the type of foam (polyfoam, memory foam, or latex foam because “foam” doesn’t specify the type and isn’t meaningful) the density of any polyfoam or memory foam, the type and blend of any latex, and the thickness of each layer listed in order from top to bottom or bottom to top and which add up to the thickness of the mattress (to make sure there are no missing layers) to make any meaningful comments about any mattress.

Phoenix

O

Hi kayla,

I would prefer you listed the layers in the specific mattress you are considering in the format that is described here (making sure that you mention whether it is top to bottom or bottom to top) like this …

Line 1: number of inches, description of the material
Line 2: number of inches, description of the material
Line 3: number of inches, description of the material
etc until you have listed all the layers or components in a mattress.
Total thickness of the mattress = number of inches.

This way I don’t have to “sort through” your descriptions with all the “extra” information that you’ve included.

If I understand you correctly the first option would be …

2" of blended Talalay latex
8" of Energia (you didn’t specifiy the density) or 3 lb polyfoam
for a total of 10"

Is this correct?

Your second option would be the same except it would use 3" of blended Talalay … is this also correct?

If these are correct then both of them use high quality and durable materials and neither of them would have any weak links although very soft layers would be less durable with your weight than firmer layers. You also wouldn’t need to use Energia in the base layer unless your testing clearly indicated that you preferred it. Hopefully you have carefully tested the specific combination of materials that you would be purchasing to make sure it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (and you aren’t “guessing” about whether it is or not) but if you aren’t certain that it is then the exchange or return policy would become a more important part of your purchase decision.

You were also mentioning about changing the thickness of the base layer but if the materials are the same type and density then this would only change the “feel” of the mattress and not the quality of the materials and this wouldn’t have any weak links either. You don’t need to find out the blend of the Talalay because blended Talalay is always about a 70% synthetic and 30% natural blend (there isn’t a choice).

I can’t feel what you feel or see you on the mattress so you would know more about how your mattress feels or how far you sink into it than I would.

Phoenix

ok thank you ,the energia is 5 lbs but it can be too hard sometimes,
yes correct ,the two mattresses,just the top different.

I feel the 3lb foam would be ok in a 10 in mattress,
i am undecided about a 2 ir 3 inch top of talaly as 3 inches is a lot because 4 was way too much.

i tried the firmer model giving me alignment and feel this may be better,
10 in total
top 2 in of talalay
8 inches foam.
3 inches gives more pressure relief,I think it would be fine to but 4 is overkill.
i trust the builder and feel he could do a good job,
and have looked at materials.

going there again ,if not custom there is a possible return,adding 1 inch top is custom
i hate to leave myself without pressure relief,so i will visit and ask more questions,

ty for your time 'much appreciated

Hi Phoenix
I am back with an update . I have successfully ruled out 2 possibilities .whew you were getting pretty frustrated I am sure .
The Essentia is not an option for many reasons -only 8 in and also want out of memory foam type as I am on the wrong thing anyway now.
The lago navous -omi is out As I tried again and sink through to firm layer Ouch .
Okay so have narrowed it down to 3
1-sleep tek medium soft-medium 3800
2-green sleep -vichence at 3700
3-a custom 10 in by dorimer
Pretty good huh?

Surprised myself in a good way -not good still no bed. Well I can have one of two within a week and those 2are green sleep and the dorimer. I’ve decided to make a decision on the next day or two.
You are aware of both the green sleep is soft soft in firmness but has options.
I am not anxious to sleep on poly and latex too for comfort. Unless someone in the forum or you thinks it’s a grand idea.
Since I would like a solution in a week I can go green sleep. I got to try it in the store and layers are exchangeable. Although it is soft I prefer a soft bed and I seemed aligned . I would only do the poly thing as a fix until I went to latex anywsy. I am going to check out the poly option tomorrow and if I don’t like it much then going to go with green sleep . If that doesn’t work will order sleep tek. That is only 4 weeks out.
I’ve done my homework and these are the finalists -I’m pretty tired and glad I could narrow it down.
Hopefully I will get something by next week just after surgery and be ok with it.
If you object to the green sleep let me know as I cannot walk after tues and then it will be a month or two before solving this.
Thanks for your time and good advice
K

Hi kayla,

[quote]1-sleep tek medium soft-medium 3800
2-green sleep -vichence at 3700
3-a custom 10 in by dorimer
Pretty good huh?[/quote]

I’m glad to see you are narrowing things down and assuming that your choice at Dormir is the latex/polyfoam hybrid you described earlier then all of your choices use good quality materials and there are no “weak links” in any of them.

There is also more about some of the more general differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

If you are happy with all the options you have considered (or haven’t considered) and are down to finalists that are choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them, then your final choice (see post #2 here) would really be a matter of “best judgement” based on your own careful testing and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Phoenix
here are the specifics of one of my finalists available in one week.
please advise as soon as possible
the price is 3,700.plus tax plus transport from edmonton because the company doesn’t usually sell a matters form their other location.even thought it is the same company .so transport would be apron 300.00 between their stores a cost i would be responsible for .so it would be over 4,000.00 .Now green sleep comes with specific box springs,I can oat them here as well.but i haveonky the adjustable and cannot afford their box spring(1.600)
please advise as soon as possible.thnak you so much.I can have this mattress within a week if I pay for transport.

here are specs
Green Sleep Vicence Product Details

Mattress layers (from top to bottom):
100% Certified Organic Cotton Velour Cover
100% pure sheep’s wool from Texel island in The Netherlands
(1,225 grams per square metre / 36 ounces per square yard)
Texel sheep’s wool is certified pH balanced (pH 7) - skin friendly for sensitive individuals
100% natural wool fire barrier (zero chemical flame retardants)
9" 100% natural rubber tree latex:
Top layer: 3" Extra Soft Rubber
Middle layer: 3" Custom Rubber Topper (your choice of soft, medium or firm for each half of bed)
Bottom layer: 3" Firm Rubber
100% Certified Organic cotton bottom cover
Additional rubber plates available for purchase
Made in Canada

my two top layers would be soft soft

more on delivery but hey are choosing to charge me for delivery in this case.over 300.00

“This item automatically qualifies for free delivery nearly anywhere in Canada or to the Continental US. Deliveries in Calgary, Edmonton & most larger centres in Alberta include full placement and in-home setup at no additional charge. Deliveries to other locations are to your front door or a freight depot if you are remotely located.”

I am not rermotely located