opinion on Beautyrest Recharge World Class king firm

in my area i dont have a lot of options. here’s what the tag on the mattress says

quilt- 1 1/4" Airfeel Foam
1" Luxury Firm Comfort Foam

Upholstery 1/2" Trutemp Gel
1 1/2" Aircool Memory Foam
1/2" Energy Foam

Coil support- Energy Foam
1000 Density Beautyrest Pocketed Coil Springs

now i know you’ve said stay away from these brand names before, so my question is do you know the materials listed here are of poor quality? or should we stay away from this mattress because we don’t know the quality of these materials? here is a link of the only store in my area, could you point me towards a better mattress that they sell here? thanks

http://www.grandhomefurnishings.com/Mattresses/shop#King

Hi Sdot,

Unfortunately the specs you listed don’t include the quality of the foam … only the type.

Simmons and other major manufacturers typically use fairly low quality foams in their mattresses which will soften and break down much more quickly than higher quality materials and it’s never a good idea to buy a mattress where there is no way to find out the quality of the materials that are inside it. Lack of disclosure almost always goes hand in hand with lower quality materials and Simmons is no exception. A mattress will soften and break down from the top down and if there is more than around an inch or so of lower quality materials in the upper layers then this would be what I call the “weak link” of the mattress and I would tend to avoid it (this mattress has over 4" of suspect materials in the top layers). You can see an example from one of the forum members here that purchased a Simmons from Grand Home Furnishings and some of my comments in this thread.

If you let me know the city or zip you live I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

In case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. You’ve actually helped me with my zip code before. The best closest dealer was 50 miles away and I think I’ll go see them this weekend. They sell the “white dove”. Do you have any thoughts on their “ultra premium Cambridge HD collection”?

Hi Sdot,

The site doesn’t list the specifics of the materials or layers in the mattress so if you could find out the layer by layer specifics of any of their mattresses you are interested in and post it here I’d be happy to share my thoughts about it.

Phoenix

ok phoenix i took your advice and found a “local shop” its a good distance away but i think its going to be worth it. i just wanted to run these specs by you first before i pull the trigger. i was able to talk to the sales rep for White Dove Co. the bed is called their Ultra Premium HD Cambridge Collection in a king. It is an innerspring pocket coil. specs on the foam are as follows

2" Gel Memory foam 4 lbs per sq inch
2" HD foam (his words) 1.8 lbs per sq inch

also comes in plush or firm im going to get firm

sells for around $1,800

do i have your blessing? :slight_smile:

Hi Sdot,

The partial specs you provided don’t have any obvious weak links in terms of quality or durability (the memory foam is in the medium density range and the polyfoam is on the low end of the good quality range).

Hopefully you have tested it for PPP and it’s a suitable design. It would also be helpful to know the rest of the materials or components though because these are only some of them.

The value would depend on your personal value equation and on how it compared to any other “finalists” you were considering.

Phoenix