Optimum Dreams vs online latex for long time mattress seeker

I tried several mattress stores you recommended; I drove nearly all over Maryland and Virginia trying different Eclipse and Therapeadic mattresses! After extensive testing, I learned that Savvy Rest provides the best feeling mattress.

I am considering purchasing from them because they are minutes from my house and they offer unlimited layer exchanges within the first 90 days, but they are uber expensive. So, I’m also considering purchasing from sleepez and have read several posts on the forum comparing the two. I understand from some of these posts, that based on the ILDs, the descriptions of the layers feel comparable (e.g., both companies’s soft, medium, and firm layers feel comparable).

My experience: I generally prefer Dunlop to Talalay. Talalay feels too springy to me, and leaves me feeling that the mattress is pushing me in the position it wants me to be. Dunlop feels like a settle in better.

I tend to prefer mattresses on the firmer side. I’ve slept on soft mattresses before (generally in hotel rooms) and have woken up with lower back pain. (I also have experienced some lower back pain on older mattresses, but that’s probably because they’re shot!) I have had some neck and upper back pain in the past that was likely attributable to significant knots in my upper back that has mostly resolved. Nonetheless, I’m concerned about recurrences, so pressure relief and adequate support are important to me.

At Savvy Rest, I felt a little torn between two mattress. The Medium Dunlop/Medium Dunlop/Firm Dunlop was good, but I thought it might feel just a bit too firm. The Soft Dunlop/Medium Dunlop/Firm Dunlop (top layer listed first) was extremely comfortable, but it left me wondering if it provided sufficient support for my lower back.

Is that lack of support something that should concern me or does a latex mattress, even one with a soft comfort layer, provide sufficient support because of the qualities of latex?

The sales person, after hearing my comments, reconfigured this as Medium Dunlop/Soft Dunlop/
Firm Dunlop (top layer listed first). This felt like it gave greater support, but I thought it a little strange to have a support layer softer than a comfort lawyer, Is that something that shouldn’t be done? Does it cause any durability or support issues?

I reviewed this post (https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/savvyrest-7-tranquility-topper-vs-sleepez-natural-7000-topper), and it caused me to wonder if I should just go Medium Dunlop/Medium Dunlop/Firm Dunlop with a soft Dunlop topper or even /Medium Dunlop/Firm Dunlop with a soft topper. It seemed that the OP’s experience was that the soft top layer did not provide enough support as part of the mattress, but did provide enough support when it was a topper. I haven’t tried a topper yet, and I won’t be able to try a blended Talalay topper as Savvy Rest doesn’t carry those.

Incidentally, I also tried the Soft Talalay/Medium Dunlop/Firm Dunlop and the Medium Talalay/Medium Dunlop/Firm Dunlop mattresses. The one with the soft top layer was too bouncy. The one with the medium top layer felt mostly great. It seemed to fall between the two all dunlop mattresses, softer than the medium/medium/firm but with more support than the soft/medium/firm. The only problem was that it still felt like it had that tendency to push me where it wants em to be. I’m wondering if this would feel differently (less push back) if it was a topper instead of a top layer. I will have to try this out in a store, but I’d also love to hear what theory says on that issue?

As for cost comparisons (Savvy Rest is having a 20% off sale that ends on Labor Day), here is what I’m looking at. This assumes the mattress layers are all Dunlop, otherwise the Savvy Rest mattresses become more expensive. I also selected the latex and wool topper from Sleepez instead of the topper covered by the thin cotton cover given that Savvy Rest also uses that lovely wool cover for it’s topper.

Item - - - - - - - - - - - - - Savvy Rest (Sale) - - - - - SleepEZ

7" mattress - - - – - - - - - $2349 ($1880)- - – - - - - $1195
3" Dunlop Topper - - - - - $1399 ($1119) - - – - – - $649
7" Mattress + topper - - - $3748 ($2998) - - - - - - - $1844

3" Talalay Topper - - - - - - $1899 ($1519) - - - - - - - -$649
7" Mattress + topper - - - - -$4248 ($3398) - - - - - - $1844

10" mattress - - - - - - - - - - -$2899 ($2319) - - - - - - - $1750

Difference for 10" mattress: $569
Difference for 7" mattress with Dunlop Topper: $1154
Difference for 7" mattress with Dunlop Topper: $1554

If I purchased the 10" mattress, I would consider purchasing from Savvy Rest due to the unlimited layer exchange and the ease of doing so, but there is no way I would purchase the mattress topper combination from Savvy Rest given those price differences.