Ordered a T&N 10 inch queen today!

Hello all, :cheer:

Thanks to all the great support on this forum, I finally decided to order a Tuft & Needle 10 inch queen mattress today. Looking forward to posting further on my experience.

Ankur, I await your review as I’m not a fan of T&N. So, it will be nice to hear a fresh perspective. Cheers.

Hi arthur_k,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know from your reading here I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

@mdgail,

While other people’s comments or reviews about the knowledge, service, and guidance of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would avoid using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

You will find hundreds of “different perspectives” about the Tuft and Needle mattress throughout the forum so I’m not sure why one more would make any difference for you especially if you have already decided that you don’t like the Tuft & Needle mattress … even though as far as I know you’ve never slept on it. This topic includes many of them and a forum search on Tuft Needle will bring up many other comments and feedback about them as well.

You will find that people can have very different preferences from each other (just like with food, shoes, clothing etc) so one person’s preferences or opinions about a particular mattress or the parts of each person’s personal value equation that are most important can be very different from someone else.

Phoenix

All right, first report now that I have had the mattress for 4 nights. Much has already been written about this mattress, so I will focus on the stuff that stood out to me.

Pros:

• T&N Customer service: Seriously I have rarely seen responsiveness like theirs. I must have received at least 6 emails to check in regarding my experience, and always got responses to my queries within 24 hours, even during labor day weekend. Awesome stuff!

• Mattress unpacking: Very easy, just cut through a couple of layers of packaging. Nice to see that they don’t waste money on uselessly fancy packaging. The first layer is basically shrink wrap and it works well. I did place the still vacuum sealed mattress on my slatted bed box before cutting it open, so I didn’t have to wrestle it on to the bed afterwards. One man job, the whole process.

• Degassing odor: None at all. I was surprised by that, was expecting a bit at least.Even my gf, who is notoriously sensitive to odors didn’t notice anything.

• First night comfort - The mattress was allowed to sit after unpacking for around 6 hours before being slept on. It felt great right away. Haven’t really noticed any change in mattress feel since then. Pretty consistent.

• General mattress comfort notes - Felt exactly like I expected, a slight layer of softness which quickly leads to a strong support layer. Does not feel especially hot as well. My previous mattress was a plush spring, and I really don’t have any complaints about the relatively higher hardness of this one. My main reason to buy a new mattress was to reduce body aches I felt in the morning, and I gotta say I feel much better. In fact, I have had great unbroken sleep.

• Value for money - Amazing, esp. after the forum discount (6.5%) as well as the amex $100 off offer.

Cons:

• Ummm, none yet, really. In fact, already considering the 5 inch for the guest room.

Hope this helped. Will post at regular intervals as the mattress ages.

Hi Ankur_k,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback in such detail … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Neither am I.

You’re paying $600 for a 2-layer foam mattress that has quality control issues. I realize that everyone has different preferences when it comes to sleeping, however the corners on my mattress didn’t even line up with the stitching, the corners also curve upward and don’t lie flat on the box spring, and when I roll off the bed … the entire left or right side of the mattress gives way to my weight essentially collapsing me off the bed.

I was very skeptical of all the glowing T&N reviews out there before purchasing the mattress, and now I’m even more skeptical of them.

Hi m12w,

As you probably know from your reading here … while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I always suggest being very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

While most if not all of the “reviews” (at least on this site) would be legitimate feedback from the members here since most of them have prior history on the forum before they purchased a mattress … it’s always possible that you received a defective mattress which can happen with any company from time to time.

Looking for others that share your feelings about any mattress you purchase … especially if they are in a minority or have little knowledge about mattresses in general … certainly doesn’t help to resolve any issues you may be having and it would make much more sense to me to contact Tuft & Needle and send them the pictures that you took and see what they have to say and whether you can resolve any issues that you have with your mattress. Have you called and talked with them?

Since they also have a great return policy … the worst case is that you decide to donate or return your mattress for a refund and choose a different mattress that you like better which to me seems more than fair.

I’m just not clear why you seem to be looking to criticize more than you appear to be looking for a solution to the issues you have. If you don’t like the mattress or if your mattress is defective … why not just replace it or return it?

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=56617]Hi m12w,

[quote]You’re paying $600 for a 2-layer foam mattress that has quality control issues. I realize that everyone has different preferences when it comes to sleeping, however the corners on my mattress didn’t even line up with the stitching, the corners also curve upward and don’t lie flat on the box spring, and when I roll off the bed … the entire left or right side of the mattress gives way to my weight essentially collapsing me off the bed.

I was very skeptical of all the glowing T&N reviews out there before purchasing the mattress, and now I’m even more skeptical of them. [/quote]

As you probably know from your reading here … while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I always suggest being very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

While most if not all of the “reviews” (at least on this site) would be legitimate feedback from the members here since most of them have prior history on the forum before they purchased a mattress … it’s always possible that you received a defective mattress which can happen with any company from time to time.

Looking for others that share your feelings about any mattress you purchase … especially if they are in a minority or have little knowledge about mattresses in general … certainly doesn’t help to resolve any issues you may be having and it would make much more sense to me to contact Tuft & Needle and send them the pictures that you took and see what they have to say and whether you can resolve any issues that you have with your mattress. Have you called and talked with them?

Since they also have a great return policy … the worst case is that you decide to donate or return your mattress for a refund and choose a different mattress that you like better which to me seems more than fair.

I’m just not clear why you seem to be looking to criticize more than you appear to be looking for a solution to the issues you have. If you don’t like the mattress or if your mattress is defective … why not just replace it or return it?

Phoenix[/quote]

I understand individuals have different sleeping preferences and that will dictate their decision to purchase a mattress. I myself listened to may of those glowing reviews, some of which were posted on this forum, which led me to choose a T&N mattress.

To an extent I feel misled. The mattress I received from T&N isn’t the quality or comfort I expected.

Which is why I feel it necessary to voice my opinion on the mattress. I don’t intend to mischaracterize T&N, all I intend to do is give an honest review of my purchase. I would conclude, from my purchase, that T&N’s marketing department does a great job controlling reviews and sentiment toward their product.

I’m not here to issue a blanket statement about all mattresses on the market and how certain mattresses might be right for some and wrong for others. As stated before, I just want to share my experience with a bed I had very high hopes for.

It does sound like you may have gotten a defective unit, if your description is true. I’m not saying your wrong to be upset, but I’d call Tuft and Needle if I were you. This could be on the factory that makes (and, presumably, packages) their mattresses, for all we know. and their customer service is (in my own experience asking about their mattress) exceedingly responsive.

PS. I’ve got a bit of a selfish reason to suggest this, as I’m considering their mattress myself and am curious to see how they’d respond to this.

Hi m12w,

[quote]I understand individuals have different sleeping preferences and that will dictate their decision to purchase a mattress. I myself listened to may of those glowing reviews, some of which were posted on this forum, which led me to choose a T&N mattress.

To an extent I feel misled. The mattress I received from T&N isn’t the quality or comfort I expected.[/quote]

There are many people that have shared their experiences with the T&N mattress on this forum (both positive and negative) along with hundreds of other mattresses as well but most importantly I hope this has been a learning experience for you so that you don’t pay the same attention to reviews with any other mattress purchase because each person can have very different needs and preferences and a mattress that is “perfect” for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on. This is why reading the tutorial is so important before making any mattress purchase and why one of the most common parts of many of my responses to hundreds and perhaps thousands of forum members over the years includes a variation of this …

… along with thousands of similar comments that basically say … “don’t pay any attention to what a mattress feels like to someone else”.

Nobody has misled you just like your post about your experience on the Tuft & Needle mattress isn’t misleading others that would be very happy and would sleep very well on the same mattress. It’s just feedback about one person’s experience on a mattress and no more and no less. Some of the comments in post #20 here would be well worth reading as well and go into more detail about some of the many issues that are connected to reviews.

I would also keep in mind that “comfort” and “quality” are two completely different issues and how well any particular person sleeps on a mattress has nothing to do with the quality or durability of the materials inside it although confusing comfort and quality/durability is a common mistake that consumers make when they are writing their reviews. The mattress you purchased contains 3" of 2.8 lb high performance polyfoam on top of a 1.8 lb polyfoam support core and both of these materials are good quality materials regardless of how well anyone may sleep on them or how they like the mattress.

Of course as I mentioned in my previous replies … any mattress company can have defects in their mattress and if the issue is connected to the compression and shipping of the mattress it won’t be “caught” until the mattress is decompressed in someone’s bedroom.

I’m still somewhat confused about why you haven’t contacted Tuft & Needle and sent them the pictures that you took (or if you have why you haven’t included any comments about their response) to see what they have to say and whether they can help you resolve any issues that you have with your mattress. It almost seems as if you are more interested in criticizing than in resolving your issues. If I had a more conspiratorial mindset I could even suggest that you are a competitor that is trying to find a way to harm another company’s reputation (just to be clear I’m not suggesting this but it makes the point that it would be no less reasonable to suggest that your review was “planted” than it would to suggest another review was “planted”).

If I was “reviewing” your review I would rate it fairly low because even though it may not be intentional on your part … it includes many misleading comments and it doesn’t include anything about trying to resolve any issues you have with your mattress and it is overly critical and “unbalanced”. How a company deals with customers that aren’t happy or that have issues that need to be resolved can say more about their customer service than anything else and so far (at least as far as you have written) you haven’t even made them aware of or given them the chance to resolve any issues that you are experiencing.

I always appreciate when people share their thoughts about any mattress purchase (positive or negative) and it’s completely normal that people that have done their research here wish to share their feedback about whether their purchase was successful but I will also often make comments about member’s reviews or feedback as well if they are misleading or inaccurate so that others don’t take their content too seriously or at least realize that what is being written applies to only one person.

This is also the reason that this site will never be a review site (there isn’t a section for reviews) because it will always be more focused on educating the members here with more “fact based” information than on encouraging them to repeat the same mistakes that consumers have been making for many years … which includes warning them that reading or “counting” reviews as a reliable source of research can be among the worst ways to choose a mattress.

Phoenix

So glad I found this site. Mattress shopping has been brutal and sketchy. Went into a large chain on Friday over labor day weekend. The store was not closing for hours. But, they showed us a mattress and told us we needed to order in the next 10 minutes or the door buster sale price would be gone. We left. After reviewing this site ( thankfully it gave me more than 10 minutes to decide), we have decided on T&N queen. I’m comfortable that it’s well made, in budget and free trial period. I’m going to look into the $100 Amex discount that was mentioned. Thanks for all tips and honest evaluations!

Hi Kimmu,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had a chance to try it out as well.

Phoenix

You’re right.

My purchase is a case study on how even though an overwhelming majority of people may love a mattress, in the end it comes down to individual preference. I agree with your notion on not becoming a review site, and instead opting to educate consumers. In my case, the bed just isn’t working for me.

I’ll most likely contact T&N regarding the mattress after I give it about 30 days. In the mean time, I’ll keep doing my research and try to find a bed that suits my preferences.

Hi m12w,

I would probably contact them and send them the pictures you posted much sooner than that so that if your mattress is defective that you can try one that isn’t.

Phoenix