Ordered but not delivered?

Any suggestions when the mattress delivered is not what I ordered. Something completely different shows up: the inner structure is wire mesh when I ordered pocket coils; quality is inferior; the mattress is unsuitable for temporary use let alone permanent/long term use; and on four occasions they have arrived used, sometimes grossly used and slumped. This has happened to me seven times. I feel like I’m in a nightmare.

Hi vmc,

I would need much more details and specifics about what you ordered, what you received, who you ordered from, and what the retailers that you ordered from have said to you when you asked them about any discrepancies in the mattresses you received to be able to make any meaningful comments.

If this has happened to you 7 times then it’s possible that you are choosing some very unreliable retailers or possibly dealers that are selling “scratch and dent” or similar mattresses (which would always be “buyer beware”) and perhaps you aren’t doing enough due diligence into the dealers you are ordering from or there is something else happening that I certainly can’t explain without more specifics.

Phoenix

Pheonix…Suppliers: The Bay (came used, very used - Customer Service said they believed “it was designated for the dump but got delivered by mistake” - go figure); Sleep Country (one damaged, two used); another retailer, things weren’t making sense, so I cancelled. Mattress, Mattress (got something totally different from what I ordered). I think you’re right, all retailers are unpredictable. All mattresses were ordered new. Only Mattress Mattress came new.

Hi vmc,

You have certainly had some unfortunate experiences.

If you are looking for a new mattress then the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There are certainly some very reliable and knowledgeable retailers or manufacturers in most areas of Canada and the US. One of the most effective “shortcuts” when you are looking for a new mattress that can help cut through much of the confusion and uncertainty that can be involved is to focus first on finding and dealing with knowledgeable and experienced retailers and/or manufacturers that have your best interests at heart (and aren’t just interested in selling you anything that they can convince you to buy). These are the ones that already know what you would otherwise need to learn and understand the importance of choosing a mattress that is a good “match” for you and are transparent about the type, quality, and durability of the materials inside any mattress that you are considering. They can provide you with the type of information and guidance that can help you make the best possible choice. Who you choose to deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

It sounds like you are in Canada and if you let me know your city or postal code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks, Pheonix for your response. Another quick question. Do you think used mattresses are more likely to be delivered to apartments than houses? Do you think location/district matters? Gender? Age? I live in Edmonton, Alberta and am aware of TSAMC. They’re wonderful but lack a options in Double. Is there anyone else in the province you’d recommend? In Calgary, for example? Thanks .

Hi vmc,

I think it would depend more on the types of stores you are dealing with and I can’t think of any specific reason that whether you live in an apartment or a house or the area you live in would make any difference.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Edmonton area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #136 here. The Calgary list is in post #2 here.

Phoenix