Organic latex mattress

Hi Sleepster,

Babies under 12 months of age will generally need a much firmer sleeping surface than an adult so if it’s soft enough for you it’s probably too soft for an infant. There is a great deal of controversy about cosleeping as you are probably well aware but there is a list of good articles and information here that may be helpful. Because a baby’s needs are different from an adult’s needs in a mattress it may be worth considering a cosleeper crib that can be firmer instead of bedsharing on the same mattress.

There is more about the different ways to “match” one mattress to another one in post #9 here but if the layers you choose are the same type and blend of latex in the same thickness and firmness (ILD) and they have a similar cover then they would be a “close approximation”. Sleeping organic is a member of this site which means I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service and transparency. They are also familiar with the Savvy Rest mattresses and would be your best source of guidance about the configuration they carry that would be closest to the Savvy Rest configuration that you tested (see post #20 here).

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex (including organic) in post #6 here and about organic certifications in post #2 here so if GOLS certified organic Dunlop is important to you for personal reasons (it is virtually identical to 100% natural Dunlop that doesn’t have the organic certification) then I would make sure that you check that the Dunlop latex in a mattress you are considering is certified organic so that you are making apples to apples comparisons.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also make latex mattresses (including component mattresses) that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices but to save you looking through them one at a time post #3 here includes a list of component latex mattresses that are similar (although not all of them have organic Dunlop available).

Post #2 here includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children that include more information, guidelines, and links to some of the better sources for buying a mattress for a child that should be helpful. The Suite Sleep mattress you are considering is certainly a good quality option but there are also other similar mattresses that use thicker layers of latex (often two 3" component layers in a zip cover or a single 6" layer) in similar budget ranges so I would make some careful value comparisons.

Phoenix