Organic latex mattress

Hello,

We are in the market for an organic latex mattress and have the following wishes:

1. All organic wool, cotton and Dunlop latex
  2. Has layers we can rearrange to change firmness
  3. Is firm enough to have a baby sleeping with us but soft enough to support a side sleeper (who may have another few pregnancies ahead in it’s life)

We tried savvy rest locally and decided on firm on bottom, medium in middle and soft on top. But after researching we discovered they don’t have a return policy and some of the reviews online have said the mattress sags so now we are looking elsewhere. The king size runs 3100.

The all organic latex mattress at sleeping organic is now at the top of our list with the same configuration running 2700 (though savvy rest has a promo right now so we’d get pillows, sheets and a mattress pad free so the difference in price isn’t huge). I like that they have a return policy though as it’s a big investment. My question is, will the firm, medium, soft configuration feel like it did at savvy rest despite being a different company? Also it’s so hard to know if that’s a good configuration for our needs. It felt comfortable and firm enough but I’m not sure. I figured my husband and I could always exchange layers to make one side softer and one firmer.

Any other companies that manufacture all organic latex mattresses in layers?

Finally, we are looking at a full size latex mattress for our 3 year old and are drawn to the 4 inch suite sleep kids mattress that you can add toppers to when they get older. It’s 1100 and we got to try it in store. Any other suggestions for an all organic latex mattress for a kid?

Thank you so much!!

Hi Sleepster,

Babies under 12 months of age will generally need a much firmer sleeping surface than an adult so if it’s soft enough for you it’s probably too soft for an infant. There is a great deal of controversy about cosleeping as you are probably well aware but there is a list of good articles and information here that may be helpful. Because a baby’s needs are different from an adult’s needs in a mattress it may be worth considering a cosleeper crib that can be firmer instead of bedsharing on the same mattress.

There is more about the different ways to “match” one mattress to another one in post #9 here but if the layers you choose are the same type and blend of latex in the same thickness and firmness (ILD) and they have a similar cover then they would be a “close approximation”. Sleeping organic is a member of this site which means I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service and transparency. They are also familiar with the Savvy Rest mattresses and would be your best source of guidance about the configuration they carry that would be closest to the Savvy Rest configuration that you tested (see post #20 here).

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex (including organic) in post #6 here and about organic certifications in post #2 here so if GOLS certified organic Dunlop is important to you for personal reasons (it is virtually identical to 100% natural Dunlop that doesn’t have the organic certification) then I would make sure that you check that the Dunlop latex in a mattress you are considering is certified organic so that you are making apples to apples comparisons.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also make latex mattresses (including component mattresses) that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices but to save you looking through them one at a time post #3 here includes a list of component latex mattresses that are similar (although not all of them have organic Dunlop available).

Post #2 here includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children that include more information, guidelines, and links to some of the better sources for buying a mattress for a child that should be helpful. The Suite Sleep mattress you are considering is certainly a good quality option but there are also other similar mattresses that use thicker layers of latex (often two 3" component layers in a zip cover or a single 6" layer) in similar budget ranges so I would make some careful value comparisons.

Phoenix

Wow thank you so much for your help! I couldn’t find a comparable mattress to the 4 inch suite sleep that is all organic (very important to us) but I think the 4 inch could work well for us as we could always add to it as our finances allow. Do you think it would be ok to put it right on the floor or does it need a foundation or platform bed? Also do you happen to have suggestions for where to find inexpensive platform beds (or foundations) that will work well for a king latex mattress? We won’t have a lot at all to spend after spending close to 3k on the mattress. Thank you again!!

Hi Sleepster,

I would probably avoid putting it right on the floor because there won’t be any ventilation under the mattress (see post #10 here) but a bed rug or a slat conversion kit would both be inexpensive options that would provide some airflow under the mattress.

I don’t do much research into furniture items such as platform beds but there are some suggestions (including some DIY suggestions) in the foundation reference post here that may be helpful :slight_smile:

For a latex mattress you just need to make sure that any foundation or platform bed you use under the mattress has a firm non flexing support surface and that isn’t more than 3" or less of space between the slats and that it has good center support to the floor.

Phoenix

I can’t thank you enough for all the great information and links. We found some reasonable wood platforms that I think will work great. I feel like, with regard to the mattresses, the more we research the more uncertain we get.

Now for our toddler we are looking at getting a twin xl instead of a full and I think have ruled suite sleep out because we didn’t realize their latex isn’t organic (which is very important to us) Savvy rest is running a promo now where if we buy their 7 inch mattress in a twin xl (1450 dollars) we get a sheet set, pillow and mattress pad free. The local retailer will also offer 10% off because it’s my little ones first big kid bed. That makes it a slightly better deal than the 1300 it would be for the equivalent mattress at sleeping organic (which would come with 1 pillow). The difference in price isn’t huge so my question is, does savvy rest have a good reputation? I like the idea of supporting local business and it’s technically a better deal but there are no returns so I want to make sure I’m dealing with a good company.

Also, would we be able to swap layers from a twin xl with our king size bed, even if we go with different brands? I don’t think that’ll be necessary but it’s be nice.

Finally can you see any disadvantages to buying a twin xl over a twin? I want it to last for all of childhood/teen years so that’s why I thought the xl would be good.

Decisions, decisions.

Thank you again, so much!

Hi Sleepster,

Savvy Rest is a knowledgeable, experienced and reliable manufacturer with a good reputation yes and their Dunlop is certified organic. They are sold through many independent dealers as well as through a few Savvy Rest owned stores so their retailers may not all have the same level of knowledge and experience but in general they would also be knowledgeable and reliable as well.

Just to add to your options it may also be worth adding the similar 6" mattress from Foam Sweet Foam to your list as well who also use organic Dunlop in their mattresses although they use natural wool that isn’t organic in their cover if that is an important issue for you.

Arizona Premium also has an 8" organic Dunlop latex mattress here (it has a 6" core and an additioinal 2" comfort layer) but they also use natural Joma wool rather than organic. They may also be able to make a 6" organic Dunlop latex mattress as well.

A king size split layer is the same as two twin XL layers so as long as they are the same thickness then you could swap them yes.

I don’t know of any disadvantages either and it would certainly have advantages … especially if a twin wasn’t long enough for them when they get older.

Phoenix