Organic or "non-toxic" mattress for 6 & 8 year old

I think I have researched myself in to indecisiveness. I really would like an “organic” mattress for my kids. My husband is astonished at the prices of these mattresses. It seems there are too many different type of certifications, with some of them being sneakier than others.

I need a twin and full size mattress. The 6 year old (on the twin) has severe seasonal allergies and I was hoping to help decrease some of the issues he has at night by getting an organic mattress.

Anyone have any suggestions? Obviously, they can’t tell me if they would like a firm mattress, etc. I do sit in bed with them a lot, reading or just snuggling. So something that would hold a 145 pound person comfortably would be great too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi c20er,

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

The only reliable way to to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs (regardless of whether they are organic or natural or synthetic) so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification. If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” … regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.

[quote]I need a twin and full size mattress. The 6 year old (on the twin) has severe seasonal allergies and I was hoping to help decrease some of the issues he has at night by getting an organic mattress.

Anyone have any suggestions? Obviously, they can’t tell me if they would like a firm mattress, etc. I do sit in bed with them a lot, reading or just snuggling. So something that would hold a 145 pound person comfortably would be great too.[/quote]

There is a great deal of information in post #2 here and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and “suitable” and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options which would be well worth considering.

Phoenix