Pad rec to “tighten” baggy wrinkly fitted sheet and chilipad

Hi! We have a tempur-pedic mattress with a chilipad. I don’t love the feeling of the tubing but it’s worth having the heating and cooling options… my biggest complaint is that it doesn’t fit very well - either my fitted sheet is too loose/baggy or the chilipad isn’t staying put or both, causing a lot of wrinkling and the need to constantly try and smooth everything out. SO, I thought maybe I need to “fill up” the space by putting a pad or topper between the fitted sheet and the chili pad.
What might best fill that space while still allowing the heat/cold from the chilipad get through?
Thank you for your input!
Jamie

Hey Jferrandi,
Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround and becoming a new MUGster!

Sorry to hear about your issues with your chill pad and some of the problems you are facing.

There are a couple of options might be recommended.

You can try this mattress cover over the chill pad, it has a little bit of pcm padding and a very strong elastic band I use it on my mattress to keep my wool mattress topper from sliding around under the sheets. Sleep Zone Cooling Mattress Cover
It is the most economical, returnable, solution that might work under the circumstances.

The things you have to consider should this not be the direction you would prefer to venture are as follows regarding traditional toppers.

To transfer cold effectively from a chill pad to your body, you’ll want a bedding topper that is conducive to thermal conductivity and can efficiently transfer heat. Here are some options:

1. Gel Memory Foam Topper: Gel-infused memory foam toppers are designed to dissipate heat and maintain a cool sleeping surface. The gel beads or layers within the foam help to conduct heat away from your body, which can enhance the cooling effect of a chill pad.
  2. Latex Mattress Topper: Natural latex is known for its breathable and cooling properties. Latex toppers often have an open-cell structure that allows air to circulate freely, aiding in heat dissipation. Look for a latex topper with ventilation holes for better airflow.
  3. Bamboo Mattress Topper: Bamboo is a natural material that is highly breathable and has moisture-wicking properties. Bamboo mattress toppers can help regulate temperature by allowing excess heat to escape and keeping you cool throughout the night.
  4. Copper-Infused Mattress Topper: Copper has excellent thermal conductivity properties, which means it can efficiently transfer heat. Copper-infused mattress toppers can help draw heat away from your body and distribute it evenly, enhancing the cooling effect of a chill pad.
  5. Phase Change Material (PCM) Mattress Topper: PCM mattress toppers contain materials that can absorb, store, and release heat as needed to maintain a consistent temperature. They are designed to actively regulate temperature, making them suitable for use with chill pads to enhance cooling.

When it comes to materials marketed for their “cooling” properties, I reserve skepticism, considering many of them as mere gimmicks in the marketing realm. I can not deny that many of these bedding materials scientifically may either transfer or retain ambient room temperature to make claims of being a cooling material. My belief is grounded in the notion that unless it’s an air conditioner, true cooling isn’t achieved. However, I recognize the efficacy of a chill pad, which serves as an actual air cooling device. In conjunction with materials that excel in thermal conductivity, certain fabrics may act as conduits for a more comfortable and cool sleeping experience.

Hopefully this will offer some insight to resolve your issue.

Best of luck,

Maverick

Wow Maverick thanks so much for such an in depth thoughtful response!
May I ask, out of those options, cost aside, would you have a favorite or lean toward any? Would you try the pad first and then the toppers if the pad wasnt sufficient? You mentioned you had a wool topper, any reason you didn’t include that in the materials to consider?

Hi Again,

Wool is not typically known for its ability to transfer cold air efficiently. In fact, wool is renowned for its insulating properties, which means it tends to trap heat rather than allow for its transfer. While wool can provide warmth in colder climates by retaining body heat, it may not be the best choice if you’re seeking to facilitate the transfer of cold air.

You want a material that allows for the transfer of cold air. Thermal conductivity.

My mind went to that SleepZoneLife mattress pad due to the fact when I place my fitted sheets on it, there is a fluffy, tight, and topper shifting prevention creation that occurs.

Admittedly, I felt it could keep your chill pad from shifting and since it uses pcm you will have the advantage of actually feeling the cool air the chill pad creates, and finally the skirt can handle a 21" deep pocket drop with a super strong elastic band to hold it all down. I think you can get that product for under $50.

My initial approach to problem-solving often leans towards finding cost-effective solutions. If a simple, economical solution proves effective, there’s often no need to explore further options – problem solved.

However, if the initial attempt falls short, that’s when I’m willing to invest more effort. While this approach may seem simplistic, it acknowledges that not everyone has the financial means to invest in high-priced solutions right away, such as a $500 Talalay Latex Topper. It’s about finding a balance between practicality and effectiveness, ensuring that solutions are accessible to a wider range of individuals.

Hope this makes sense.

Maverick

So, so helpful, thanks again!!!

1 Like