Pain from my tempurpedic

Hello. So I have a 4 year old tempur-cloud in medium feel. I’m a dedicated side-sleeper and sleep alone. 5’9" 175 lbs male. My whole life I’ve been a toss-and-turn kind of sleeper. I wake up several times every night to switch sides bc of shoulder pain from pressure and sometimes lower back pain. Lately I always wake up on my back (probably to relieve the pains) but I can never fall asleep on my back, so i wake up and roll over to my side over and over throughout the night. I’m starting to get sick of it and want a sleep system to relieve these issues so that I can get restful sleep. Though before I invest in a whole new mattress, I was thinking of trying a topper to see if it will help. Any advice on a topper that will help alleviate shoulder pressure and lower back pains? I love a soft, plush/pillow-like feel on the top of a mattress, but at this point all I want is to be able to sleep on my side comfortably without pressure on my shoulder. I’m also very much down to just buy a new sleep system entirely but all the options and information out there is overwhelming. I don’t think I’ve ever slept in a bed that didn’t put pressure on my shoulders. I even tried the Brentwood Oceano which has both micro-coils and pocketed coils and while I LOVED the pillowy feel of it, I still felt pressure on my shoulders and returned it.

Hi bansheebeat,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground!

A couple things come to mind that might help:
-Have you checked your pillow? Does your pillow help you keep your spine aligned? Are you sleeping with a pillow between your knees when on your side? Some people find that helpful to deal with hip or back pain, as it helps align the spine.
Also, a zoned mattress may be useful to you. Many people prefer to have firm support for their lower back in particular. If the mattress is too soft in the middle, your lower back has to work too hard. But if you make the whole mattress firmer, even with a topper, sometimes that is too firm for the shoulder area.
We have latex models that allow you to choose different firmness for your shoulder, hips, knees. Obasan is one(each bed includes a topper), or, at a lower price point, our Healthy Choice line.
There’s a schematic on each model page to show the customization and zoning.
We have a sale this month to celebrate our 20th Anniversary! :slight_smile: Because we have multiple types of beds, our staff can help guide you and compare various types of beds if you give us a call.

Either way, some form of customization is something to think about.
Best of luck to you in your search!
Katie

2 Likes

Thanks Katie.

Yes I do use a body pillow and good head pillows for alignment. Though they’re old and I’m looking to replace them soon.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely interested in a zoning mattress. I saw some posts about the Flobed vzone on here and it seems like a great solution. The Obasan you linked is very enticing as well. Especially b/c of the topper. I’m a sucker for a plush-looking topper. Just looking at it makes me want to jump in. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just wondering if a zoned mattress is really needed. I’m average weight and height and I’m not curvy or anything and no injuries, so a regular old mattress should be fine, I just need to find one with good pressure relief on the comfort layer or a good topper probably.

2 Likes

Hello again,

Also, I forgot to mention, if you want to just try a topper, those Obasan toppers are available individually as well. Two are latex wrapped in wool with an organic cotton cover and one is wool only with the same organic cotton cover.
That may help give some pressure relief.

1 Like