Parachute Mattress - thoughts on wool comfort layer?

I’m looking for thoughts/opinions on the Parachute mattress (it is relatively new) - -which has only coils (pocketed support coils, and microcoils) and wool. I’m not a big fan of foam. My concern is whether the wool in the comfort layer (which also includes microcoils), will compress too much over time creating a permanent nest/depression. (Which I understand from this site, can be an issue with wool). I was told there is about 1 inch of wool in the comfort layer. The mattress is described as follows:

BOTTOM WOOL INSULATOR PAD
A layer of sustainable, hypoallergenic, flame-resistant wool protects the bedframe from the pocketed coils.
POCKETED COILS
Soft and firm coils create comfort, stability and support zones, allowing for proper spinal alignment.
MID WOOL INSULATOR PAD
A layer of sustainable, hypoallergenic, flame-resistant wool protects the microcoils from the pocketed coils.
MICROCOILS
Three tiers of tiny steel coils react individually to pressure, contouring to your body and isolating its every move.

WOOL COMFORT LAYER
Two sheets of pure New Zealand wool naturally regulate body temperature and keep you cozy.

COTTON COVER
Quilted, 100% organic cotton

Thanks in advance!

Hi Pcire,

Congratulations on your new mattress!

Many years ago (mid-1990’s) we offered a wool mattress above coils tufted under organic cotton fabric. Over time, it tended to become firmer as the wool compressed and settled. Wool does indeed often nest, but a lot of that has to do with the way the wool batting is processed, if it’s dense (with little to no air pockets) you will have less nesting.

Your best bet is to conatact them directly for more information since they would know the specific details on the contruction of their materials.

Good luck!

Thanks. Just to clarify – I don’t have this mattress. I’m considering purchasing it, but I’m hesitant due to the wool comfort layer.

In that case, you should definitely contact them for more details. A mattress is a huge investment for your health and wellness, not to mention your pocketbook (especially when it’s made from organic components). I noticed it’s priced pretty high for a coil mattress, so I recommend you give them a call so they can address any concerns you have prior to purchasing.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“CozyPure” post=84057]In that case, you should definitely contact them for more details. A mattress is a huge investment for your health and wellness, not to mention your pocketbook (especially when it’s made from organic components). I noticed it’s priced pretty high for a coil mattress, so I recommend you give them a call so they can address any concerns you have prior to purchasing.
:)[/quote]

I contacted Parachute. This is what they said:
“We use wool batting in a double thick layer to create the tufting on the top.
So we use a dense, double layer to get the thickness and uniformity we were looking for.”

Does that sound sufficient for a wool comfort layer?

The fact that’s it’s dense is good for the “nesting”, but it will be firm, expecially over time as it compresses. We felt the dense wool was never a real “comfort” layer inside the mattress, which is why we don’t offer it anymore (again we offered that over two decades ago, so we’ve forgotten what they are just learning). But if you are looking for a FIRM mattress, this would be a good option. You could always add a “top-of-bed” mattress topper down the line for pressure relief and softness if necessary. Solid latex mattresses offer optimum support since they don’t break down as quickly as coils. Many members on TMU (including us) offer latex support and customizable comfort layer options which offer higher quality, longevity, and comfort than coils. Feel free to call us for a more in-depth consultation 800.229.7571 Mon-Fri 10 AM to 5 PM eastern.

I’m a stomach sleeper - so I need a fairly firm mattress right? They describe the Parachute as a 6.5.

The only reason I will never buy such a mattress, because the wool compression and settling. My husband is a heavy man and such a mattress isn’t for our family.