phase changing material: 37.5, Outlast, HeiQ affect on latex

Hi,
I know a non-waterproof encasement or cover (as in fitted/contour one) is just fine to use, but I’m not sure if you should waterproof encase or cover a latex layer or mattress set. Is this ok to do? Won’t it limit the resilience of the latex? Do you know of any reliable ones that can move/has ‘give’ with your indentations? I watched a BedGear youtube video showing a possible one. What about “breathable” waterproof ones?

Also, of importance to me and in relation to the above, what are your thoughts on phase changing materials i.e. 37.5, Outlast, HeiQ and latex reactions? Is the latex affected by this technology?

Gathering more info to make a great decision,
P

Hi lotsarsrch ,
Im so sorry for missing this! By now you’ve probably come to a solution. However, if you have not. We at FloBeds have really looked high and low for what we believe to be the finest mattress protector on the market for a latex mattress. The problem we found with “water proof” mattress protectors is it cuts down on breath ability, feel, and of course the chemical factor. while it may be stated waterproof recycled polyurethane membrane, or eco friendly, green guard urethane. Its still a chemical, and we recommend against it. We’ve found for a mattress protector that is water resistant, and doesn’t take away from the feel of the bed, a fine company out of Canada produces the St.Dormeir wool Mattress Protector. Its our single most sold accessory, and shipping is free! If you ever have any other questions, or just wanna talk beds, we are always here for you!

Dewey Turner
[email protected]
FloBeds Latex Mattresses
1-800-356-2337

Thanks for your response, Mr. Turner! No solution yet. Still investigating. I wrote your protector info down.

So, do you have any info on the PCM?

We lied on a Sealy Premium Plush Posturepedic this week; it had the dark grey cover with the PCM (DuoChill). We like this mattress quite a bit. The pressure relief and support were both good for us.

We also tested the only latex hybrid (of four mattress-only stores visited) made by Southerland - it had “thermobalance” all over the cover. The salesman gave me the company name and what he thought was the name of the bed. My delving into this company was fruitless in my search for what type and ILD of the only layer of latex - 1/2" comfort; it shows the 1/2" as a gel latex. I did find the thermobalance category but I didn’t find the matching cover on the website that correlated to the one we tested. Nonetheless, I looked through those listed.

So, we like the fun, springy, help-you-move feel of this bed but found the pressure relief not at all where we’d like (need softer). We don’t want our arms to impinge and cut off circulation and nerve capability. Our hips were less affected but still, we’d like softer. Since I don’t know what the latex ILD or process type and can assume it’s either synthetic or blended, I feel I’m still at point A. If I can know the ILD at least, it would surely help me out. This is the first latex we ever lied on. They only had one latex bed.

I was surprised to find that the latex layers in this category are either 1/2" or 1" for the four named beds, with offerings of different firmness levels. I assume the bed we tested has the 1/2".

I know the other layers have something to do with how we feel while testing. The next layer beneath the 1/2" gel latex is a 1/2" layer of gel memory foam, then 1 & 1/2" of HD foam, atop 8" coils.

We like these next in line: Beautyrest Black Hybrid Jennings, Serta icomfort hybrid Visionaire Plush. We spent 3.5 hours shopping at four stores.

I’m typing you this maybe in the hopes that you could give an educated guess on the latex layer, and I still want yours and other mattress professionals’ info on the PCM that is increasingly manufactured into the products we are buying.

Thanks!

Good Morning lotsarsrch,
While I’m not a big fan of the major “S” brands on the market, I can give you my two cents on what the 1/2" comfort layer may be. I can tell you that if it is a gel latex, it is certainly not a natural latex. Being that its referred to as a comfort layer it will be somewhere between a 14 and 28 ild.
As for PCM or phase changing materials designed to help you sleep cooler. I’ve been studying materials used in beds for 15 years, and have found most phase changing material to be somewhat gimmicky. With the rise in mattresses sleeping hot due to closed cell polyurethane, and the rising popularity in the feel of memory foam, a market for products offering a cooler sleep has certainly opened up. Other than natural fibers, like wool and horse hair, i dont believe any of the phase changing foams, protectors, gels etc are going to make a noticeable difference in the temperature of your sleeping environment. Many of the gimmicks in mattress industry, are selling a story. In my opinion comfort and how your body reacts with a mattress will be the number one goal and struggle of consumers searching for the right mattress.
So, purchasing a mattress with a legitimate return policy, and or the ability to change the mattress once you get it, would be in your best interest.

Thanks for your input. We both sleep hot. I know there is copper-infused latex as well, and some of those claims are not scientifically backed up. (The antibacterial claim is legit and latex has similar properties.) Sure the body requires copper and the majority of us get the required amount via sustenance, yet retailers are promoting collagen rejuvenation, circulation improvement, arthritis relief, etc. through textiles. Re: mattress components and these claims, your skin will have to be close to the copper material to get a fraction or two of the benefits; and since most people will put at least one layer of protection on their newly purchased mattress ~ be it an encasement, protector, pad, or just a contour(fitted) bed sheet, any health benefit is essentially lost.

In relation to purchasing a mattress, trying the beds out in person is the first step Phoenix, proposes. This becomes challenging, if you don’t have the materials you are interested in, available to test. Lots of us dislike the hassle of swapping out product or returning an item online or at the store to get what we think is the correct product. So we want to get it right the first time either online or at a brick-and-mortar.

So, onward we trudge. Having helpful, detailed info is key.