Phoenix - Please help!

Phoenix,

I live in Medina, OH and would like to know if there are any local “lil guys” I can check out. I am familiar with the Original Matress Factory and I think you might agree they are one to consider. I was vieiwing their Latex models. They offer some specs so I think they may be a good place to visit. Here is the info the provide on their latex models.

“This core is approximately 40% natural latex and 60% synthetic latex. A blend is best as it creates the most consistent and comfortable product. Our Latex box springs feature four-fold torsion modules with additional wire, an additional wood slat and offer superior support and shock absorption.”

" 6" Talatech® Talalay Latex Foam Core - 30-34 ILD, 3.9-4.2lb/ft³ Density (Tolerance ±.25lb/ft³)
Convoluted Talatech® Talalay Latex Foam Topper – 17-21 ILD, 3.1-3.3lb/ft³ Density (Tolerance ±.25lb/ft³)
FR Fiber
Quilted Panel Featuring a Premium Damask Fabric Cover"

What are your thoughts on their statements and specs?

Are there any other locals in the near vicinity you would recommend??

I am really glad to have found your posts and I have greatly increased my knowledge on mattresses. I am ~5’ - 8" & 200lbs and typically dread sleeping at home because I wake up constanly from shoulders, arms or whatever part is hurting because of the messed up position I am laying in. I have no problem paying for high quality, durability & comfort and am considering a latex-type bed because of your information. I slipped at disk near my hips a few years back and sometimes have pain from it and also have upper back pain somewhat behind my shoulder blade from time to time. Not sure if my bed is the cause for any of this but I will say I usually wake up at least once a night, 2-3 times on avergae and 1-2 times a week, I will draw a hot bath and sleep in it for a few hours. My dad says to just buy another tub!

Thanks,
Jason

Hi jlt6,

I think post #2 here should be helpful and as you can see I think that OMF is some of your better choices in the area.

Both of their latex models are good quality and all latex except for an inch of polyfoam quilting on each side of the mattress (which is inside the maximum of an inch or so that I normally suggest as the limit of any polyfoam). They are also double sided which is a bonus.

Of course no matter what the quality of a mattress is still needs to be suitable for you in tems of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) but they are both good quality and value choices.

I would also be aware that OMF tends to show their mattresses on a “working” innerspring which is not as commonly used with a latex or memory foam mattress and you may want to also try them on a firmer non flexing base (such as an adjustable bed) because this will change how the mattress feels.

Given your circumstances … you will do well to pay very careful attention to your testing for and the right balance of both pressure relief (typically the cause of shoulder and arm issues) and alignment (that can contribute to back pain and discomfort) so that you know at least that your mattress isn’t contributing to your pain and soreness and perhaps can even lead to some improvement in your symptoms. This would typically involve lying on a mattress that is a serious candidate for at least 15 minutes … completely relaxed and as much as possible allowing your muscles to “let go” and testing specifically for pressure relief and separately for alignment and support in all your sleeping positions. Without “simulating” the completely relaxed pre-sleep state as much as possible … your muscles may be doing some of the work and it is more difficult to know what part of your experience is coming from tense muscles and what part is coming from the mattress.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you very much for your support! (excuse the pun):wink:

I greatly appreciate the quick response!

Jason