Please direct me

Really need a mattress to help with the following - lower back pain and something to keep me very cool at night. Health is getting badly affected from lack of sleep. Thanks.

Hi Iffy100, and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Glad you are here with us.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your current mattress and are having lower back pain. Any mattress is unique to the sleeper(s) using it, based on their stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP(posture and alignment, pressure relief, and personal preferences) Since you don’t give your stats, what mattress you are using and what you are considering, I will focus on the basics. If you have not yet done so, I would take a look at themattress shopping tutorial for an overview of mattress shopping, as well as themattress specifications you need to knowto compare quality of materials and components, and finally the mattress durability guidelines to see how different materials hold up over time.

As for your lower back pain, first I would check with a medical practitioner to make sure its nothing serious; If its your mattress, again you need to consider your stats and what types of mattress you are considering. If you have a memory foam bed, it may be that it has prematurely broken down and your mattress has ‘divots’ or ‘ruts’, which can case joint and muscle pain and affect spinal alignment. Depending on your BMI, you might have inadequate support in your current mattress. Is it too soft? Too hard? Your sleeping position also plays a large part in finding the right mattress for you.

There is also more about the most common “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress in post #2 here that may help you identify why the mattresses you have chosen weren’t working well for you. The most common cause of lower back pain is an alignment issue from a mattress that either has a support core that is too soft or comfort layers (or toppers) that are too thick/soft for your body type or sleeping positions but a mattress that is too firm and doesn’t provide good support under the recessed parts of your body (such as the small of your back) can also lead to lower back pain.

If possible, the best thing to do is to try out mattresses in local showrooms to get an idea of what types feel comfortable…foam? Latex? Hybrid? there are a lot of different options to choose from. Once you get an idea of what type of mattress you prefer, you can take a look at the offerings of theTrusted Members of the site; these are all vetted manufacturers who have transparency in the materials and construction of their components, good trail periods and great customer response. By providing them a small bit of information, and any mattress you have tested that you liked, they can try to match the feel, and provide you with a mattress that will be comfortable and last a good while. If you find any specific mattress you are interested in, we can certainly comment on them. I hope you can find a perfect replacement that will provide you many years of comfort!

I hope this helps,

~ Basilio