Please help identify this latex core

Hi, I have a problem with an expensive latex mattress I bought, problem is the core is like a rock and the wife has told me to throw it out and get a new mattress. I don’t want to put a 3k mattress in the bin. First step I’m trying to do to fix this is confirm I got what they said they were selling me, if it’s not I can demand a refund. If it is then I’ll have to start working out how to fix this (if that’s even possible). I was told the core is a 7 inch LatexCo 100% natural rubber core manufactured in Belgium, it is supposed to be a medium feel core with a rubber density of 70 to 75kg/M3 (sorry about the metric measurements, I’m in Australia). I’ve attached a picture of the label attached to the core. Can anyone confirm this core matches the description I was given?

Hello Silverbull

Thank you kindly for your inquiry. Unfortunately I am not familiar with this label, nor do I know what the numbers mean. This maybe because it was produced at a different manufacturing plant than that of the latex we carry. I would call LatexCo directly to get more information about this particular core, as well as what company makes it. If you can find out the source of the latex, you maybe able to call that source directly. For example, the Dunlop latex we offer is from Latex Green, and the Talalay is from both Radium Foam and Talalay Global (the only two manufacturers of Talalay in the world). These latex manufacturers are accessible by you the customer if need be.
Good luck, and please keep us posted as to what you find out. Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks for the response. I have contacted LatexCo by their online enquiry form before submitting this post, hopefully they will respond. Also hopefully someone else may read this post and be able to identify the core.

If I assume the mattress is genuine, then the metric weight of 70 to 75kg/m3 converts to 4.4 to 4.7lb/ft3. Would this density normally be considered medium feel? I’m 176lb and my wife is 132lb. The core is 7 inch with a 2 inch soft latex layer on top. We are both side sleepers and pretty much just fall through the soft layer and hit the hard core which doesn’t seem to flex much at all.

According to Savvy Rest, and several other sites: “Very soft latex density is 60 kg/m3. When latex is 95 kg/m3, it will be very firm. And there is everything in between.”

So yes, I would assume that’s a “medium” feel. Feel is very subjective. I’m also a side sleeper. For me a medium (28-32 ILD) with 3" of soft (20-24 ILD) would be much too firm.

What is on top of this core? There are many options for toppers that would soften the feel of the mattress.

Thanks for responding lotus. We have a 2inch “soft” Dunlop latex topper over the core also made by LatexCo, it’s all contained internally in a zip up bamboo cover. Unfortunately the seller has no weight or ILD info on the topper, just it’s “soft”. The initial seller gave us another 2 inches of same soft topper to try and fix the issue for us but we found then that 4inches of soft topper we sagged in and got sore back so no doubt the topper is soft and too thick caused a different problem. Where i’m stuck is that if the core is all medium then adding say a 3inch medium layer under the 2inch soft topper would just be same as the core hardness?

Hello Silverbull

Unfortunately it is hard to offer precise feedback without truly knowing the ILD ratings of each foam piece. If the current core is too firm as it is, I would call the same company and ask for a 2" topper that is lower in density. I find it interesting that they are unable to tell you what the ILD rating is. This makes it much more difficult to ‘hone’ in on the contour and support you are needing. If you could find a company that could offer specific ILD ratings, I would ask for a 2" layer between the ranges of 19 to 22ILD. This range would be an actual soft, and should provide the contour you are needing on your firmer core.

Thanks, I’ll do some more work to try and determine ILD of both layers I have. Unfortunately in the Australian market no stores quote or talk about ILD, they just sell firm, medium and soft. I know LatexCo Singapore is the supplier so if I don’t get an answer to my online enquiry from LatexCo over the next couple of days I’ll start calling their Singapore office. Good news is that I can buy some toppers with specific ILD’s from at least one of the member sellers of this site via Amazon global store and get free delivery with my Prime membership, can only find Dunlop though, no talalay which is likely to be the best option for at least my wife’s side. Anyway I’ll come back and post some more info when I get some. Thanks heaps so far!

Thank you Silverbull for all the information! Good luck with your search. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance during your latex shopping endeavors! We appreciate you keeping us posted!

Hey siverbull,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :). I know Latex Mattress Factory has given you some good answers, but I just wanted to add a couple of details. This Latexco product is definitely manufactured in Belgium. And it is there “medium” which has consistently been 70-75kg/m3. The “18” is the 18cm height, which is what they call the 7" core for us metric dummies, (really 7.11 inches). I am checking with a friend of a friend to see if there is any indication of the “formula”. The only place you may have a claim is that I am not 100% sure this is 100% natural formula. If I find additional info, I will let you know.

Thanks
Sensei

That’s awesome, thanks for your help :slight_smile: Would your friend also know the ILD stats for this core?

Hey Silverbull,

I did find out a bit more. I would not ask my friend the ILD as Latexco doesn’t not test ILD they just give ranges, for the blended product my information was 75 kg/m3 was “28ILD” and 80 kg/m3 was “32ILD”. I am not 100% postive that these ranges are current specificatioms, other expert memebers would know this better than I. Like Arizona Premium and SleepEZ both purchase from Latexco.

But this sticker you sent …this is the meaning of BAC18M

The first letter was formula/blend - Blend
The second letter was punched/unpunched - A is Punched
Third Letter was profile/doctor blade used or in molds pin pattern - C is a mold designation
18 was height in CM
M was firmness - medium

Hope this help out.

Thanks
Sensei

Thank you very much for your help. It’s good to know where I stand now, I am deeply disappointed with the store that sold me this, the owner straight out lied to my face. I specifically asked him if it was 100% natural latex and his answer was “yes that’s all we sell now because even though we think blended is better the market is demanding 100% natural”. I’m not actually concerned about having a blended product and in fact if I’m reading things correctly the blend is likely to be softer than all natural so it may in fact be better for us but we paid for a 100% natural product so on that basis alone I’ll have to go back and get a resolution. My only remaining concern is that they can probably provide me the correct core as a valid resolution (rather than refunding me the purchase price) and that may actually make things worse for us.

Anyway, once again, thank you very much for your help it is much appreciated!

Hey silverbull,

You are very welcome and I do understand your dilemma.

I don’t want to say that blend is softer than natural, it all depends on the exact density ranges, which I was only referring to in general terms from market knowledge. Either way, good luck with your resolution, and let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Sensei

It’s been a while but felt I should close out this thread. Thanks Sensei and Latex Mattress Factory for all your help it was invaluable. Latexco didn’t directly answer my queries but rather passed them to the retailer who contacted me. The retailer was very apologetic regarding the mix up on giving me a blended mattress and put it down to a warehouse/delivery error. They got us to come back in and try their range again and we chose the softest mattress they had in all natural latex and they gave us a new one and refunded me the difference between the new one we chose and the original more expensive unit. Unfortunately the new one is too firm also (though softer than the original) and I’m on the path of fixing the surface layers for that one now. But that is for different posts. Thanks once again for your assistance, it is much appreciated!

Hey silverbull,

Thanks for the kind words and update on your Latexco mattress exchange, sorry to hear that you’re having problems getting the surface layers adjusted. Please do when you can, keep us updated on how things go…

Cheers,
Sensei :slight_smile: