Please help me find the perfect mattress!

Hello,
I discovered this forum through another forum and have learned a lot so far about what makes a good mattress, it’s absolutely a fantastic place to learn about mattresses. However, I’m getting overwhelmed with the amount of options and don’t know where to start. I would greatly appreciate help from the experts here for some recommendations to help narrow down my purchase decisions.

About me: I’m a 6 feet tall male in my late 20s. I currently weight around 200 pounds, but I plan to bring my weight down in the near future to around 180. I’m mainly a side sleeper, sometimes on my stomach. The current cheap mattress is very firm, and gives me shoulder pain and makes my arm numb sometimes whenever I sleep on my side. I’m looking for a queen size mattress and also a good bedframe to go along with it.

I live a sedentary lifestyle and work in front of the computer the whole day, and am starting to notice that I’m developing lower back pain. I’ve been sleeping on cheap mattresses my entire life and am tired of the pain it’s causing me, so I’m finally deciding to spend some good money once and for all. I hope that I have provided enough information for you all to help suggest a mattress that will fit my needs.

Thank you

Hi Pokgai, and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Happy you are here!

[quote] Hello,
I discovered this forum through another forum and have learned a lot so far about what makes a good mattress, it’s absolutely a fantastic place to learn about mattresses. However, I’m getting overwhelmed with the amount of options and don’t know where to start. I would greatly appreciate help from the experts here for some recommendations to help narrow down my purchase decisions.
[/quote]

I’m glad you have found the information on the site helpful! As you have likely already read, a mattress is unique to the sleepers using it, based on their stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions), and their PPP(posture and alignment, pressure relief, and personal preferences). Thanks for providing your stats; I will say first off, you may wish to consult with a healthcare practitioner, as some of what you are feeling ’shoulder pain’ and ‘arm numb when I’m sleeping on my side’ and ‘developing lower back pain may indicate more serious joint , muscle or alignment issues.

In case you have not done so, I suggest taking a look at theMattress Shopping Tutorial to hopefully make the experience less overwhelming, as well as theMattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to better familiarize yourself with mattress components and how materials last over time, since you are starting from scratch, it sounds like, and you have no preference on type of mattresses you are considering.

[quote] I’m looking for a queen size mattress and also a good bedframe to go along with it.
I live a sedentary lifestyle and work in front of the computer the whole day, and am starting to notice that I’m developing lower back pain. I’ve been sleeping on cheap mattresses my entire life and am tired of the pain it’s causing me, so I’m finally deciding to spend some good money once and for all. I hope that I have provided enough information for you all to help suggest a mattress that will fit my needs.[/quote]
We don’t actually make suggestions or recommendations, since everyone is different and has different needs and preferences in a sleep system; we try to educate consumers so they can find the perfect mattress for themselves and go into the process of shopping for a new mattress with more confidence and a more critical eye. I would also caution against taking any reviews to heart without a healthy dose of skepticism, as no one can tell you what mattress will feel comfortable to you. Since you say you have a ‘sedentary lifestyle’ and work in front of a computer all day, its even more important to find a mattress which will allow you to sleep comfortably.

The best option, if possible, is to visit some local stores or showrooms and just try out some different types of sleep systems….latex, foam, hybrid – there are a lot of choices and once you ‘narrow the field’ and decide what’s important – memory foams can ‘break down’ and wear in ‘spots prematurely, some people swear by latex which can be customized with different firmness levels to suit, some like innersprings and others can’t stand them – finding some materials that feel good and others you can ‘cross off’ really simplifies.

Once you have an idea of what you do or don’t want in a sleep system, You may want to take a look at the offerings of the Trusted Membersof the site, as they have all been vetted to have transparency on the materials and components in their mattresses, are knowledgeable with great customer service, and have good trial warranty and return/exchange policies. By providing some small bit of info to them they can match you with a mattress that ‘checks all the boxes’ for you. Also, as you search, if you have questions on specific mattresses you are looking at, we can possibly comment on those to help you in the search.
I hope this helps,
~ Basilio