Please help me with an affordable natural chemical free mattress for my son!

We are really overwhelmed with the choices and what’s best especially since we are trying to find an affordable choice for our 3 yr old ( full size). Is this one good?

I mean it’s not organic but natural latex and we thought that they should be certified?

Thanks for your help!

We were also considering the naturepedic but reviews say it’s uncomfortably firm.
https://www.amazon.com/Naturepedic-MF40-Organic-Full-Mattress-Ultra/dp/B000YRW34A#productDetails

Hi Lroth1986,

Post #2 here includes links to the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children that should be helpful and would be the first place I would start. It also includes many links to some of the better options I’m aware of for children.

I don’t see a mattress on the page you linked … only information about their club O program.

It uses good quality and “safe” materials that would certainly be suitable for a child and would be worth considering although there are also some other choices in the previous links that I would include in your research as well. I would keep in mind that a firmer mattress that wouldn’t be as comfortable for an adult is generally a more suitable choice for a child.

Phoenix

Thanks for your quick response. Sorry about the link. Would you mind looking at this as this is what I was really looking to buy. Thanks again for all of your knowledgeable help.

Hi Lroth1986,

The mattress uses 100% natural Dunlop (not organic) from Latex Systems (you can go to the Eco-Institut site here and enter the ID # 0508 - 12233 - 001 in the search window to see the certificate) along with a cotton cover quilted with wool so it certainly uses high quality materials.

The 7 zones aren’t necessary for a child and depending on the specifics of the zoning a child’s body may not fit the zones the way they are designed to fit an adult but zoning variations in a single core are usually fairly small so this shouldn’t be a significant issue.

I would tend to choose a mattress with a firmer bottom layer and a top layer that was in the medium range for a child and then add a softer layer if they need it as they get older and their body matures and but latex is also very supportive even in softer versions so a softer top layer would be “less risky” than with other materials.

The “negatives” are that Overstock isn’t very knowledgeable about the mattresses they sell and often provide incorrect information (in the questions about this mattress they indicated that it was Talalay for example when Latex Systems only makes Dunlop latex) and the mattress has a “finished” cover instead of a zip cover so you can’t exchange or replace the individual latex layers inside it either initially or down the road.

Overall though it could make a good choice (depending on what else you were comparing it to) and the price is very reasonable.

Phoenix

Phoenix! Thanks for the help!!! Thanks for the great reply. First of all, if you have anything else to suggest or recommend w elook at in the same price range, I would love your help! I have some trouble following all those links you posted for me to also read but it is so very helpful and we appreciate it!

I got the following information from the owner at BioSleep Concept re the Versailles bed linked above Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree

He said there is no off-gassing on this bed (does that go along with what you think?)

The latex comes from Thailand where I have a factory working with me for the last 8 years (Certification is made in a lab in Germany, the most reliable) , the organic cotton fabric comes from a factory in Germany (Factory I work with for the last 15 years), the wool comes from the states of Oregon and Washington.

The cover and final assembly is made in Portland Oregon. USA.

The latex made in the USA, Talalay and others are not (cannot) be certified 100% natural. Their raw material of latex imported from Asia (Thailand and other countries) has to be stabilized in container with more chemical. In addition, Talalay is having some filler in their foam.

The organic fabrics are all using fibers from East Asia. My factory is certified GOTS and I am supplying factories in the US and Canada.

The owner provided a Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification (thoug hit expired 9/30/14) and seems to be from O E KO -TEX@ Zertifizieru n gsstel le G m bH Kaiserstraße 39’60329 Frankfurt am Main - so Germany - if that makes sense.

As to asking about Green Guard certification, he said:
I have found the Greenguard certification data requirement for mattresses and compared with my own latex foam certification, look at the numbers.

We are better than their Gold certification with a lower TVOC. This is what you are looking for.

ANY FURTHER ADVICE OR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR OTHER BEDS TO LOOK AT WOULD BE SO GREAT AND APPRECIATED! THANKS!!!

And what do you mean by “so a softer top layer would be “less risky” than with other materials.” Is that in saying the bed would be too soft for a 3 year old in regard to SIDS and that type of thing?

Look forward to seeing other bed recommendations you may have. We will need a boxpsring or foundation, too, of course :slight_smile:
Thanks again!

Hi Lroth1986,

The post I linked in my last reply about children and mattresses includes more information and sources for other options that are available and would work well for children that would be in a similar budget range (or in some cases lower). The tutorial post also includes this link to a list of the members here that sell online and many of these also make latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex with a wide range of features, options and price ranges that would also be worth considering. Posts #3 and #4 here also include some lower budget latex and latex hybrid options that may be worth considering as well.

No … I meant that children usually do better with a firmer sleeping surface because they have less “curvy” bodies and because their spine is more flexible but that with latex a softer layer is a little less risky than it would be with other types of foam (such as polyfoam) because latex has a higher compression modulus which means that it gets firmer faster with deeper compression than other materials. In general terms though I would lean towards a medium firmness sleeping surface for children rather than a soft and then add a softer layer as a topper down the road if and when they need it.

The foundation post here has more information about the types of support systems that generally work best for different types of mattresses and includes some good sources as well.

Phoenix

Thanks!
And regarding the Versailles we mentioned - did you have any thought as to the following?

He (owner) said there is no off-gassing on this bed (does that go along with what you think?)

Hi Lroth1986,

All foam materials including latex have “some” offgassing but all the latex you are likely to encounter (whether it uses natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both or is made with the Talalay or Dunlop process) has been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s by testing organizations such as Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut and I would consider any form of latex foam to be “safe” (see post #2 here).

Phoenix