Please Help...overwhelmed by mattress shopping experience

Hello to all fellow sleep-deprived people looking for the next step to a better sleep…

I have discovered this website while I was searching for a critical review of themattressexpert.com. I have corresponded with Pete and was about to buy a mattress from him when I decided it was a little ironic that almost every blog post he recommended the same mattress for a variety of situations. From my retail background, I knew it smelled a little too much like a tailored sales pitch than an objective insight into the mattress industry.

That being said, I am a little too short on sleep and time to do the thorough research it seems that a purchase like this requires. We lost our house (and all our mattresses) in a flood due to burst pipes in the winter storm in February. We were in a hotel for a month and have now moved to another house but are surviving on air mattresses and getting terrible sleep. We have three small children (3 years, 20 months, and 3 months) who keep us very busy. I know TMU encourages lots of reading to make an informed decision, but I simply don’t have the time or the energy to dedicate to learn all the material. It feels very overwhelming and almost like learning another language. I had no idea that selecting the surface where we spend a third of our time would take more time and effort than finding a new house! Add to that the fact that I already have analysis paralysis and take forever to decide on basic things, and so if I were to do this on my own it might take weeks or months, which means we are building more sleep debt in the meantime.

So, I come here in the hopes that someone can point me in the right direction, or at least narrow down the choices so we can more quickly pick a mattress that might fit our needs and get back to getting better sleep. (I’d even settle for someone cutting to brass tacks and giving me the buzz words I need to keep an ear out for (good or bad) while shopping around, since this industry seems prone to marketing techniques and other misleading word play.) I’m not convinced that Pete’s suggestion (Natura Greenspring Liberty with optional talalay topper) is necessarily the best fit for our situation. For one, it’s on the pricey side. From the reading I have done, it is possible to have a mattress that matches one’s needs and not break the bank. The price range that is most comfortable is $1000-$1500, but if it’s less that’s ok too.

The mattresses we have had in the past were Beautyrest Frances Plush and this one: https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/american_classic_memory_foam_hybrid_king_mattress/M82141.html . I tolerated the Beautyrest and absolutely hated the other one with a passion. I developed hip pain with my last pregnancy and the only way I could semi-comfortably sleep was propped up with several pillows and on the side of the bed. I have not been able to replicate even that comfort since. I currently use a knee pillow but lately that has been hyper-extending the knee on the opposite leg. I have not had a sleep study yet but I strongly suspect I have sleep apnea which isn’t helping anything. (I will get a sleep study after I have a good mattress to eliminate other issues.) My husband does have severe sleep apnea and sleeps with a CPAP. Neither of us is skinny…I have a BMI of 39 and my husband has a BMI of 29. We are both in our mid-30’s. We are both side-sleepers. Despite having a king-size bed, we are now looking for a queen size.

Pete advised strongly against memory foam due to its lack of durability and I suspect that that was one of the reasons I disliked the American Classic. He also hyped up latex as an alternative, but I found it interesting his favored Greenspring mattress was a hybrid and he seemed almost more excited about the tempered coils than the latex, which was only 3" anyway. I am leaning against memory foam, but more for the possibility of off-gassing and my own experience than what Pete said.

I have also eliminated Sleep Number because they no longer have low-tech options that can be operated separately from a cell phone. Pete said they are nothing more than a glorified air mattress with memory foam, and that we wouldn’t get better sleep than the air mattress we’re suffering with now. He said since we don’t like the sinking feeling of an air mattress, we would instead be looking for the floating feeling of latex.

With all that background info in mind, I also have some specific questions. Would an adjustable base be helpful or just a “nice-to-have” feature for lounging in bed?

I understand from a health perspective what we need is proper alignment of the spine during sleep to avoid pain and pressure points. Do tempered coils achieve that? Do other materials achieve that?

In addition to spinal alignment, we also need pillow help. My husband also suffers from migraines and we have been told by a chiropractor that misalignment of the neck causes that. So my thinking is that we also need to rethink pillows to keep the neck aligned, while the mattress keeps the spine straight. We currently have MyPillows, which IMHO do not live up to the hype. Pete said MyPillows are made of coarsely chopped polyurethane foam and suggested instead talalay down pillows. Does anyone have any insight into quality pillows that help side-sleepers keep neck alignment?

Finally, we have two toddlers who are transitioning out of toddler beds/cribs. Our three-year-old son is a restless sleeper and it frequently affects his behavior, and our 20-month-old daughter seems like she does not get good quality sleep either. I never thought about mattress quality for kids, but it makes sense. Sleep is so important to overall health and I want to give them a good start in life. We have acquired polyurethane twin-size mattresses for them but I’m not convinced they are helping their needs.

I read this to my husband and he said I was writing a book. I apologize if it comes across that way, but I really had no idea this process of choosing a mattress would be so complicated and I don’t want to experience buyer’s remorse night after night like we did the last mattress. I really do appreciate any advice and insight into finding the right mattress for our needs. Thank you for anyone taking the time to chime in and help us get to a better night’s sleep that much sooner!

Hey I Need Better Sleep,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping journey, INBS! I am not familiar with this site but its flavor is quite “pro-latex” and “anti-memory foam”. When shopping online for a mattress, look towards sites that offer product information (i.e., specifics about the mattress’s components, materials, and ILD/ density details), component certifications for ensuring safe use, and exchange/ return policies that provide remedies for future contingencies. A “tailored sales pitch” will not ensure a good nights’ sleep; however, detailed product information will help with better decision making towards that end.

I am terribly sorry for your family’s home loss, as well as for all who continue to suffer from the tragic losses due to February’s winter storm. Your choice of the words, “building sleep debt” will resonate with many, INBS; I predict that you have created a new sleep deprivation expression (I’m totally borrowing it and will credit your ingenuity :wink: ) . While you lack time for deep-dive research, you will still need some basics to be successful while researching your new mattress purchase. We will be happy to offer some shortcuts when possible but ultimately, only you can “feel” what you feel on a mattress, so there will be some occasional/ unavoidable homework assignments.

Are you referring to their Greenspring Liberta Ultra Plush model? Here are some questions to ask, regardless of whether your considering this mattress or one similar:

• Who manufactures your Talalay latex? Where are they located?

• What is the ILD of the soft Talalay layer?

• What is the total weight that your mattress supports?

• What certifications do the components have that ensure its safe use?

• Does the mattress require a particular foundation/ base?

• What is your exchange policy? What is your return policy? What is the mattress warranty? Are these available on your site for download?

After you begin shopping and comparing, you’ll be surprised at how easily new questions will come to you out of your developing curiosity. Some will help and others won’t, but it’s a learning process; be patient with yourself. You can develop your questioning skills using live chats on websites, many of the chat bots are fairly sophisticated and will ultimately trigger a human’s response at some point in the conversation.

[quote]
The mattresses we have had in the past were Beautyrest Frances Plush and this one: www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/american_classic_memory_foam_hybrid_king_mattress/M82141.html . I tolerated the Beautyrest and absolutely hated the other one with a passion. I developed hip pain with my last pregnancy and the only way I could semi-comfortably sleep was propped up with several pillows and on the side of the bed. I have not been able to replicate even that comfort since. I currently use a knee pillow but lately that has been hyper-extending the knee on the opposite leg. I have not had a sleep study yet but I strongly suspect I have sleep apnea which isn’t helping anything. (I will get a sleep study after I have a good mattress to eliminate other issues.) My husband does have severe sleep apnea and sleeps with a CPAP. Neither of us is skinny…I have a BMI of 39 and my husband has a BMI of 29. We are both in our mid-30’s. We are both side-sleepers. Despite having a king-size bed, we are now looking for a queen size
[/quote].
You don’t say how long that you’ve had to endure the discomfort of these two mattresses, but it my guess is that its been awhile. Pillows can be a good short-term way to adapt some comfort into different sleep positions; some folks have 2-3 favorite pillows of various types in their sleeping environment. I am sorry to learn of your possible sleep apnea diagnosis, as well as your husband’s severe sleep apnea condition, that is quite frustrating to deal with. Good call on having your sleep study scheduled after adjusting to a new mattress, that will be a positive in your favor. Just curious: is there a particular reason for moving down to a queen size from a king?

Memory foam, as other foams, comes in a variety of densities, which is its indicator of durability. Memory foam when used as a comfort material, and higher quality memory foams (5 lbs. density>) should last 8-12 years, would keep its viscoelastic properties, and last longer than many other polyfoams. The Mattress Expert site seems to support the natural latex story of Dunlop and Talalay process overall. 3" of a quality latex in the correct firmness should be fine for your comfort needs

He is correct in that if you don’t like the “sinking into”/ cradling feeling of memory foam, you shouldn’t consider another memory foam mattress purchase. Whether that makes you a candidate for latex foam is another story. Latex has many interesting qualities, primarily the feel of floating sensation of sleeping on top of the mattress. Talalay latex is often used as a comfort layer and provides a springy, bouncy feel. Dunlop latex is used as either a comfort or support material and provides a nice push-back responsive yet firmer feel, as it is a more dense foam. You may find YouTube demos of various latex mattress models helpful; just use their search function and compare away!

An adjustable base is more of a lifestyle choice, so only you can decide that. They can be pricey, so the considerations are: how much time do you spend lounging in bed as opposed to sleeping (you are both side sleepers, so an adjustable base feature could be a mute point during the night) and how much are you willing to increase your budget by.

Proper spinal alignment is achieved by correct mattress support. A mattress has 2 jobs: to provide comfort and support to your body. It should conform to your body shape and form a cradle that is deep enough to spread your weight over the surface of the mattress and relieve pressure points. This is referred to as “sinking in” and is the function of the mattress’s upper comfort layers. Support comes from the mattress’s ability to control how deeply different parts of your body sink down into the mattress, affecting how well your spine is correctly aligned. In the case of yours and your husband’s somewhat higher BMI ranges and side sleeping preferences, higher foam densities/ firmer foams, as well as lower coil gauges/ thicker coils would offer more durable comfort and support choices.

A pillow reset is a great idea for optimizing a new mattress purchase! Not sure what he means by a “Talalay down” pillow; perhaps he is describing a shredded Talalay pillow as a down-alternative? As you likely know, there are countless pillow choices available, and a good way to start would be to pair your new pillow with the mattress you plan to purchase. Regarding pillows for side sleepers, you may find that measuring the distance between your neck and shoulders would give you a rough idea of how much “loft” (pillow thickness) will be best. Generally, side sleepers need a higher loft pillow to keep the neck and shoulders aligned than the flatter profile pillow used by a back or stomach sleeper.

If you have concerns regarding safety of your polyfoam mattresses, you’ll need to inquire whether they have CertiPUR-US certification or the like to ensure that they are free from any VOC concerns. Otherwise, polyfoams with a 1.5-1.8 lb. density should provide sufficient durability to support your children’s weight correctly as they move towards their teen years.

Your writing is quite eloquent, organized, and insightful, INBS. You have scribed a useful consumer “How To” essay that gets directly to the point of your mattress shopping dilemma. Perhaps other consumers will get some tips from your breakdown and research. Looking forward to your hearing your thoughts and hope this helps to somewhat ease your case of “analysis paralysis” :wink: .

Sensei

Nice to meet you, Sensei! Thank you for your comprehensive response. This is exactly the help I was looking for!

Thank you. It has been quite a journey, but we are looking at it as a blessing in disguise to give us a new start on a lot of things, including mattresses!

As much as I’d love to take the credit for that one, I know I’ve heard it somewhere…I just can’t remember where exactly. Maybe a parenting book or a website about child’s sleep…! :lol:

I realize only my husband and myself can make this potentially life-improving decision, but what I need help with is bridging the gap to the mattress world. This post has definitely given me a head start!

Yes, that is the one that he referred me to. Maybe I don’t understand the point of a topper, but seems like a mattress should have all the layers built in so a topper would not be necessary. If I’m going to drop a chunk of change already, I don’t want to have to shell out more just to make it comfortable. I think that’s one of my main hesitancies on this model and some others that I’ve seen.

[quote]Here are some questions to ask, regardless of whether your considering this mattress or one similar:

• Who manufactures your Talalay latex? Where are they located?

• What is the ILD of the soft Talalay layer?

• What is the total weight that your mattress supports?

• What certifications do the components have that ensure its safe use?

• Does the mattress require a particular foundation/ base?

• What is your exchange policy? What is your return policy? What is the mattress warranty? Are these available on your site for download?

Excellent, thank you! These are the kind of questions/terminology that I needed to jumpstart this process.

We had the Beautyrest about 2 years and then that became our guest bed when we “upgraded” to the other one, which we had for about 3 years. Prior to that, we had mattress hand-me-downs which had long outlived their prime. Needless to say, I am taking the mattress selection and shopping experience much more serious this time around!

We had survived on a full-size that we inherited in our early marriage, and at the time spreading out in a king-size bed sounded wonderful. I was pregnant with our oldest at the time we got the king-size and we had dreams of enjoying lazy weekend mornings with the kids in bed. Then reality hit. Washing and changing king-size sheets was a lot of work, especially since I was either pregnant or recovering from c-sections most of the time. And the bed just seemed to take up too much space in our room. In our month-long hotel stay after we lost our house, we were in a queen and decided it would meet our needs.

Sounds like I might prefer dunlop over talalay, but YouTube is a great place to start for comparisons! I had not thought of that before.

Thank you for clarifying that. I had thought an adjustable base might be a good idea after spending some time in a hospital, but I realize now that those beds are adjustable because the patient typically spends a lot of time in them beyond sleeping.

Again, thank you for explaining the basics so I even know what to look for. Things sure have come a long way from the haystacks of the pioneer days!

That makes a ton of sense and we will definitely start measuring! One pillow doesn’t seem enough and two is too much…of course measuring will help us get out of this Goldilocks pillow problem!

I’m glad you found my writing clear and I’m happy to help others in similar situations! Looks like this was a win-win! I will keep you posted on my mattress buying journey and what we end up going with, in the case that it helps others as well. Until then, pleasant dreams!

Hey I Need Better Sleep,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: .

“Are you referring to their Greenspring Liberta Ultra Plush model?”

There is some confusion between the terms mattress toppers and a mattress pillowtop. The majority of mattresses sold are designed with the comfort layers and support core as a single unit; this is a mattress pillowtop. A mattress pillowtop is a design consideration that adds comfort to both the cover quilting materials, as well as the upper comfort layers, and may be included inside the mattress unit or sewn attached to the mattress unit. A mattress topper is a separate, independent design (the British refer to it as “Bespoke”), and its function is to add another layer of comfort with the additional benefit of extending the life of the mattress. An aging mattress that may suffer from compression of the uppermost comfort layers benefits from the addition of a topper. At some point in consumer mattress culture, the word “topper” became interchangeably used between the two when in fact they serve different functions.

Pleasant dreams to you, INBS. Thanks again for the updates and do keep TMU posted on your mattress buying journey as your reporting will be interesting to other consumers following your research… :wink:

Sensei

Greetings Sensei and TMU community,

Thank you again for the wealth of information compiled on this website. I did read a good chunk of the articles and gained a ton of insider knowledge about materials used in making mattresses as well as how the industry works (or not…for the average consumer!). Although I still wouldn’t consider myself an expert by any means, once I was armed with this new understanding, I felt confident enough to begin the process of narrowing down the selections. I did lean again on the expertise of this website and decided since the legwork of finding trustworthy vendors had already been done, I would start there. I knew I was looking for a Dunlop latex mattress and I did not want a hybrid. That alone eliminated some possibilities and I used a spreadsheet to help lay out all the information in one place. I had it down to 7 options and then I presented them to my husband. We finally made a decision and ordered it yesterday!

We ended up going with The Sprout 2 Layer Natural Latex Mattress from Sleeping Organic. We did the split configuration since my husband tends to like a firmer surface than I do, plus we have more options of customizing and changing layers as needed. So his side will be medium/firm and mine will be soft/medium, at least to start with. We caught the tail end of their Memorial Day sale and got two free shredded latex pillows and savings even better than the TMU discount! We liked the wood foundation from Arizona Premium Mattress since it can collapse for moving so we ordered that too. Now I am super excited and can’t wait for our first night on the new mattress!

I just hope my expectations are not too high. I’m sure there will be an adjustment period and a few visits to the chiropractor but overall I am feeling very optimistic about this purchase. I’ll let you know how it goes when we get it in. Thank you again for helping us get this far!

Hey I Need Better Sleep,

Welcome back to TMU! Nice hearing from you again and thanks for your updates :slight_smile: !

Thanks for all your kind words on the site, INBS; they are much appreciated :slight_smile: ! Good job on your dedicated work and thorough research process. It seems that your homework did a sound job of presenting best candidates for your preferences; well done ! Use of a spreadsheet for compiling comparison data is an excellent way to narrow down choices of many projects. I am happy to hear that this method worked well for your needs.

Congrats on your new mattress purchase from trusted member Sleeping Organic :slight_smile: ! I regard their experience and expertise in the latex category highly; they are deeply experienced in customizable mattress design as well. Thanks too for your foundation purchase fromArizona Premium Mattress, another quality expert trusted member of TMU. We appreciate your support of our business members and are pleased that you enjoyed the TMU Thank You discounts, as well as the Memorial Day Sale bonus gifts of shredded latex pillows.

We’ll be looking forward to your updates, following a 30 day sleep trial/ adjustment period for your Sprout 2 Layer Natural Latex Mattress, INBS. I’d be personally interested in your assessment of the shredded latex pillows as well, those are among my all-time favorite types of pillows :wink: .

Sensei

Hello Sensei and TMU community,

I realize it has been more than 30 days but we have had some hiccups and I was hoping to have better news to report. Our experience with Sleeping Organic has been somewhat frustrating, although in my correspondence with them they have been very accommodating for our circumstances. First off, the shipping took much longer than initially expected. Our order had been divided up into 2 boxes, one of which arrived on time; the other was delayed, apparently by an issue with the shipping company. For a few days that second package could not be tracked by either SO or the shipping company. It finally did arrive and when we unpacked everything to assemble our new mattress, we discovered that we didn’t get the split layers we had ordered. We were supposed to get soft/medium dunlop and medium/firm dunlop split layers. What came is an entire layer of soft dunlop and one entire layer or medium dunlop. As I suspected, I do like the “floating” feel of latex and I think the support layers are sufficiently covered because my hip pain is gone. What I think we need is another layer for comfort because I now have back pain that I did not have before. We have a memory foam topper for our guest bed and we decided to try putting that on. At first we put it on top of the latex but that brought back that “sinking” feeling that we didn’t like and it slept hotter, so we switched it to underneath the latex layers and it is somewhat better. My husband is fine with this arrangement but I am still not completely comfortable.

What the gentleman at Sleeping Organic offered to do is send us another layer of our choice and initially set it up as a layer exchange, and let us play around with various combinations of layers until we find something that works for us. If we decide we need that third layer, he will cut us a deal on it to make up for the original order mixup. I am fine with this but now am not sure what that third layer should be. I’m leaning toward talalay, maybe medium? Like I said, I think we need a comfort layer but I have not experienced talalay to know if that will be soft enough or too soft. Can anyone offer any insight to help us make this decision?

Also I have a sleep study scheduled in one week so between getting some resolution from that and the mattress situation, I am optimistic that I will be sleeping a lot better in a short time!