please help!! Sterns and foster beds

i am looking at a sterns and foster bed mattress from sears that is on sale. it is a huddersfield luxury firm. does anyone know of this particular mattress (huddersfield)? how old is this model? good or bad? should i be looking at a more new one?

i have a bad back AND am a stomach sleeper. this seems to be a comfortable mattress and for the price, it seems good. $1400 off of $3000 (supposedly)

anyway any help would be grateful. thanks!

Hi drave199,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster or any mattress where you don’t know the quality of the materials inside it). Just as a preview it would also be helpful to read the guidelines here.

I would also avoid “fake sales” based on a phony retail price and treat them as a warning sign rather than as a benefit (see post #5 here).

Better manufacturers and retailers sell their mattresses at good prices every day of the year so I would never let any of these sales tactics give you a false sense of urgency.

Phoenix

When I shopped and bought a S&F mattress a few years ago I discovered that Sealy (owner of S&F at the time) would make the same mattress but would use different covers and names for their retailers. I also found that you really had to pay attention to the firmness and thickness of the mattress. For example two retailers could carry the same line but one would only sell the models which were firm and plush, and the other retailer would only sell “luxury” firm and ultra-plush.

The SF mattress we had (has now been relegated to a guest bedroom) had a specific feature that enabled us to shop retailers. For example at the time we were shopped for a SF mattress that had foam edge support and was ~ 12" thick, plush, or ultra plush. The name the retailer used didn’t really matter.