Please Help With DIY

Hello,

Can give me a recommendation on how to keep my hips and glutes from sinking too much?

I am doing an all-polyfoam configuration. No latex or memory foam

Here are the details of my set up:

I am doing a DIY Twin XL. I am 5’7” and 190 pds, 59 year old female, single sleeper

I have the following configuration:
1” Plush blue gel-infused foam ILD 10 (From Former Mattress)
2” Resili Flex Polyfoam ILD 28 (From Former Mattress)
2” Lux Regular Foam 50 ILD (From Foam Factory)
2” Lux Hig Quality Foam 50 ILD (From Foam Factory)

Results:
Hips and glutes sink too much.
Feels like hammocking
Lower back and sacrum compressed
Quads are contracted because hip flexors are too tight

Special Needs:
I have issues with right hip internal rotation that causes my pelvis to rotate to my left. This also causes the right side of my torso to rotate left.
I also have an anterior tilt.
If I sink less in my hips and glutes, these issues lessen significantly.

Thank you for your time to assist me with my DIY sleep set up.

Hi Starshine,
Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround and becoming a new MUGster.

Looking at your current configuration and based on your setup and specific needs, here are a few recommendations to address the sinking hips and glutes issue:

Consider adding firmer foam layers or additional support directly under your hips and glutes. Since you’re using a polyfoam configuration, you might want to add another layer of high-quality foam with a higher ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) rating specifically under your hips and glutes to provide more support and prevent excessive sinking.

Assess the thickness of each layer in your configuration. You might need to redistribute the thickness of your foam layers to ensure proper support for your hips and glutes. You could try reducing the thickness of softer layers and increasing the thickness of firmer layers where needed.

Consider incorporating zoning techniques by varying the firmness of different sections of the mattress. By creating a firmer zone under your hips and glutes and gradually transitioning to softer foam in other areas, you can better support your body’s alignment and reduce sinking.

While you’ve chosen foam materials without latex or memory foam, you could still benefit from materials that contour to your body shape without excessive sinkage. Look for foam layers with good conforming properties that distribute weight evenly and provide targeted support to problem areas like the hips and glutes.

Before you go crazy ordering and figuring. I would take this very simple first step. Reverse the 2" Resili Flex with the 2" Regular Foam. I do not normally like to sandwich a lower ILD between two higher ones, and I would have preferred that 28 ILD was a HD36 ILD 1.8 lb, but I would be curious to see your reaction with the 50ILD on top of the 28ILD. 50 is a bit high for a comfort layer, but I would like to see how firm it feels and back off from there. Or you could remove the 28ILD altogether.

How old are the foams from your former mattress, and how comfortable was that mattress? What made you create a new one.

Good luck with the product.

Maverick.

Thank you, Maverick! I am grateful for your quick response as it is important for me to get sleep and pain relief as soon as possible.

My apologies for the following corrections:
-The Resili Flex is 1 ½ “, not 2”.
-Both 1” Plush and the 1 ½” Resili Flex are both memory foam.

I appreciate your advice and have done the following:
-Sandwiched the 1 ½” Resili Flex between the 50 ILDs. This setup was too firm.
-Removed the 1 ½” Resili Flex. This setup was also too firm.
Ordered 2” HD36 - Regular

Based on your advice, I am now open to suggestions you may have about using memory foams as layers. I had poor past results with memory foam due to excessive sinking.

In addition, I also these pocket coils:

-Caliber Edge 6”, 600 coil count 13.75 gauge pocket coils from Leggett and Platt
-Quantum Edge Combi-Zoned 8”, coil count 772 (3 wire gauges. 16g narrow diameter perimeter coils. 17g narrow diameter coils through center ⅓ and 14g larger diameter coils on both sides of center ⅓.)

What are your recommendations please?

1 Like

Hi Starshine,

Occasionally, deep down, there’s a sense that things won’t quite align as expected. We all have our unique preferences and tolerances for handling unconventional situations.

In my experience, I typically opt for the most cost-effective approaches to tasks before considering more extravagant spending. Unfortunately, in this instance, my attempt to utilize the available components didn’t yield the budget-friendly results I had hoped for (it was a stretch, but sometimes thinking outside the box can produce some nice surprises). Ouch!

I was hoping that despite the 50ILD on top, the 28ILD would offer some room to easy the firmness, but the gap was apparently just too much.

I believe you are the right track with the 36ILD. It will still construct a fairly firm build. I must say caliper edge 6" 13.75g combined with the HD 36 and either the 1" or 1.5" create something very close to my Brooklyn Bedding Plank Luxe, which my wife and I find to be quite comfortable.

Just for reference, the Plank Luxe uses a 13.5g 6" support pocketed spring layers, 2" of 1.8lb HD 36 ILD foam and .75" 50ILD quilted cover. (it is a dual sided mattress with a slight modification on the standard firm side by adding 1" of response foam and doubling the quilted cover to 1.5" creating a 8-8.5/10 firmness level on that side, verses the 9-9.5/10 on the Firmer side, that we sleep on.

I am still not big on memory foams, as I have articulated in many posts before, when a layer(2-2.5" or more) of viscoelastic memory foam gets added to a mattress, that sinking swallowing quick sand affect kicks in. I would much rather see someone use a latex layer, micro coil layer or a polyfoam layer matched with an ILD that suits the sleepers needs.

The Quantum Edge coils might come in handy if the Caliber Edge create, yet again a mattress that is too firm. It may also allow for some increased contouring and pressure relief.

I welcome your feedback with the 36ILD over the 50’s or over the Coils. I have preference toward the coil combination as I believe that edge to edge coils provide superior support than foam. Although, I get a lot of critism for that philosophy. Some of that critism is well founded, but we all have our own personal preferences and it doesnt make the opposing thoughts incorrect.

I would keep the 1 and 1.5 memory foams on standby just in case a tiny bit of tweaking is in order. I would implore you give each build a chance. Certainly, as a matter of trial, the one that seems like an immediate winner, choose first.

Do not get discouraged if something is too firm early in the trial. It took my wife about 3 weeks to fully accommodation to the Plank Luxe. We often joke about the $400K Hasten’s Mattress, I should say, I often joke about it. I tell her, if this mattress doesnt work, the Hasten’s is next. She just calls me nuts and confirms she loves the Plank, and not to get my hopes up!

Good luck when it all comes together.

Maverick

Thank you Maverick for your help with this! I will let you know about the 36ILD over the 50’s/coils.

1 Like

Maverick,

While waiting for the 2” HD36 to arrive, I have been sleeping on the 1” plush memory foam 10 ILD with the 2 50’s. I decided to sleep on it longer despite feeling too firm.

So far, this has provided the following improvements (which I was surprised to have):

Less right hip rotation
More relaxed calves and feet

Still have problems with:

Too much sinking in hips/glutes

Last night, I tried:

1” plush memory foam - 10 ILD
2” HD 36
2 50’s

Results of that were:

Increased right hip rotation
Contracted calves

Do you think that I need to add another 2” 50 ILD or maybe more?

I am ok with spending more to get a decent spinal alignment.

I am grateful for your help.