Please suggest a mattress

Hi,

I am looking for a mattress as my current mattress is firm and gets hot in the night. I am having problems with my sleep and need recommendations on what it the right configuration.

The more i read, the more i am confused.

From this forum, I learned that Latex mattress are the best as they provide better breathability. However, I see there are tons of options within Latex as well. One recommendation i received was 3" Soft Talalay, 3" Medium Firm Dunlop and 4" Firm Dunlop.

I wanted to try in a local stores but they have a different combination which is 10" Medium Talalay (3"+3"+2"+2" layers)

How is 10" Medium Firm All Talalay Latex vs Combination of Soft Talalay and Dunlop Latex ?

I am 5’11" and 175lbs, I am a back and side sleeper. I think I prefer plush mattress. Are there any other combinations that I should look for ?

Hi reddysr and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Glad to have you here!

I am not sure what you read since finding the TMU website but you would likely benefit from reading some of the main site articles that have the basics of what you need to know and how to navigate through the shopping process. Only after reading those I’d top it up with some forum readings to add more depth and see what other people with similar body types, needs and preferences have found. I’d start with The Mattress Shopping Tutorial for an overview of the mattress selection process, as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to compare them to And the Mattress Durability Guidelines to and become more familiar with materials and components used in mattresses.

There is no real best or worst in mattress materials; Many consumers enjoy memory foam and hybrid mattresses over latex, and many others are totally ‘pro-latex’…its’ all a matter of personal preference. What you can and should do is decide which materials just don’t suit you. You don’t say what type of mattress you are currently using, but in your case yes latex is a good choice as is one of the most breathable foams and will sleep ‘cooler’ than a memory foam mattress. You may want to read this post to learn more about microclimates and sleeping hot. There are many options so it’s good if you can ‘cross off’ some mattress types so you can narrow your search.

If possible, the best method is to try out various types of mattresses to see how they feel in person, as you have done with the latex mattresses you have tried.

Thanks for providing your personal stats. When trying or considering any mattress I’d make sure to make a note of the firmness or ILD of each layer and their position within the mattress. All layers work together and each will affect each other. The layer material and firmness are, again, a matter of personal choice but again this info would make it easier to give you some input. Generally, back sleepers want good support to keep their spine in neutral alignment. As you are in a normal weight range you won’t need a thick mattress to get a good balance of support and plush comfort. A firm support layer with medium transition latex layer with a plush comfort layer could be all you need. The only way to know if this combination is the best fit for you is by trying out similar mattresses in the local store.… Talalay is also considered ‘bouncier’ than Dunlop, and feels softer because it allows for a deeper cradle in the same ILD… so there’s also type of latex to decide on.
I will say that many of the Trusted Members of the site carry all-latex and latex hybrid mattresses, both in configured models as well as separate components for DIY builds if you wanted to go that route; They are very experienced in matching consumers to meet their needs and preferences. For instance, Arizona Premium offers several different types and thicknesses of latex mattress, including a 9.5"Ultra Plush Mattress
While DIY Mattress can help you select components to create your own customized mattress, and Custom Sleep technology creates a personalized mattress you can call them for a free consultation or you fill out a body profile and discuss what you are looking for. By providing any of these manufacturers/retailers with a small bit of information about you, (your stats, sleeping style and history) they can guide you through the available choices, and according to their policies they can exchange layers if they do not work for you.

Don’t lose hope! Your research combined with the years of experience of a knowledgeable manufacturer is the best way to get a mattress that suits you and that will last for many years!

~ Basilio

Thank you very much for your time and detailed response.

I went to ‘the mattress factory’ in fort worth and checked different mattresses.

1. 6" dunlop core + 4" Medium Talalay - felt very firm
  2. 6" Pocketed coil + 4" Medium Talaly - plush but poor edge support
  3. 10" Medium Talalay - Felt ok but not 100% satisfied
  4. 10" Medium Talalay + plush quilt - Felt good support with nice plush feeling.

Thanks to this forum for educating me on the mattresses. I ordered #4, would receive it on Friday. will update after using it for couple of weeks.

Currently, I use 11" memory foam mattress which is terrible, gets pretty hot in the summer.

Hi reddysr,

Great news! Sounds like a medium talalay is your preferred option, I will be interested in your impressions once you’ve had sometime with it.

I can understand about the memory foam; depending on how long you’ve had it it’s possibly wearing unevenly as well, making it even more uncomfortable. Memory foam is a common culprit with many people who sleep ‘hot’.

~ Basilio

I think I finally found my dream mattress but it was not an easy find as i thought.

Thank to this forum for educating me on the different mattress types and the one that may suit my body type.

I wanted to purchase it in a local store so that i can feel the mattress before purchasing it. Luckily i found one factory in Dallas who carries Vita Talalay Latex.

I made couple of visits to the store to check the mattress and I ordered 100% Vita Talalay Latex Medium Firm mattress. After I received the mattress i was totally disappointment as they added 2 inch soft layer at the bottom and 2 inch soft layer on the top which was not what i ordered. I slept on that mattress for three days and every day i got up with lower back pain.

I think with the pillow under the neck, there was more body weight on the lower back which caused the back pain. I contacted the factory and they immediately arranged the pick up and on the same day they crafted a new mattress with all new 100% Vita Talalay Latex Medium Firm.

I slept on it yesterday and it was my best sleep after a long time. The mattress was so comfortable and no more heat under the body. It has great support to my back.

Thanks to the mattress factory in dallas for making such a wonderful mattress. The good thing is the seam is just 2.5 inches at the bottom, which is another good thing.

The made the mattress with 2inch Medium Firm bottom + 6 inch Medium Firm Core + 2 inch Medium Firm at the top.

I am totally happy with his mattress. I changed several mattresses in the last 15 yrs and this is THE BEST mattress i ever owned.

Hi reddysr,
Great to hear! Glad we could be of help. It sounds like you found a winner, thanks for letting us know about the local vita talalay manufacturer, glad they could replace the plush layers and that that did the trick. Please let us know your impressions once you have spent some time with it as well.

~ Basilio