Plush vs Firm

Hello all! My wife and I are shopping for a new mattress after several undesirable experiences with “S” brands. We have nearly made a decision but we need some input. I sleep on my side so a softer mattress seems much more comfortable. She sleeps on her side and stomach so she likes a firmer one. We finally settled on a plush that was somewhere in between. Our question is this… If all other things are equal, is a firm mattress likely to last longer than a plush? I have back problems and it doesn’t take much sagging to cause significant discomfort.

Thanks for any insight!

Hi Chefwill,

The firmness of a material is one of many factors that affects the durability of a foam material yes … but it’s also not the most important factor. There is more about the many factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would also make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the most suitable and durable choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Apart from your reply Phoenix, I would also add that the durability depends on the brand as well, right?

Hi Stephnell,

The name of a manufacturer or the brand of the mattress has little to nothing to do with durability. The durability of any specific mattress depends on its construction and the quality/durability of the materials inside it … not the name of the manufacturer.

Phoenix