Pocketed Coil & Latex Mattress

Hi Phoenix,

Great site, tons of info on a difficult subject.

I’m 6’2", 200 lbs and wife is 5’3" 11; both are side and back sleeper with back, neck and hip pains of seniors, nothing major or debilitating, just normal.

Wife wanted a spring based bed after a rather unsatisfactory experience with a “supposedly” natural 3 layer (3" soft, 4" middle firm & 3" medium) latex mattress that developed deep indentation after a 4 or 5 years from one or 2 layers apparently “failed” which is not normal for latex. That plus the thing weighed 250 lbs and require 2 people to change the sheets on our European type bowed slatted bed frame.

We are currently trying out DreamFoam’s 12" king “Ultimate Dreams Pocketed Coil Ultra Plush Pillow Top” mattress with a 2" 60/40 talalay latex blend top layer with an ILD rating of 19. The mattress seems well made although the covering is somewhat cheap (can feel springs on the side) and measures 75 x 79 in lieu of 76 x 80. From what I gather, the latex sit right on top of the coils with no intermediary foam layer. Is that “normal” procedure? The mattress was extremely soft when we got it 3 weeks ago but has firmed up somewhat and seems to have “grown” to 13+ inches. It may be a combination of getting use to it and the ½" mattress pad it so it doesn’t feel so soft any longer. Don’t know about the extra inch in height. The bed seems to conform to our bodies and we seem to get “support” in all the right places but still have our neck, shoulder stiffness and lower back aches in the morning. Are those normal feelings and just the sign of our age or an indication that this mattress is “too soft” and/or the type coil/foam layer configuration? The concept of softness or firmness and “support” in some discussions is somewhat confusing.

We were thinking of retuning this mattress in favor of a similar configuration, the Eco Terra mattress (Hybrid Latex Mattress | Eco Terra Mattress)

This is an 11" mattress with 2.5" of D75 “All Natural” Dunlop or Talalay latex in a medium range ILD 23 - 26). It also has the same Leggett & Pratt pocketed coil system with edge support that the DreamFoam has but seems to have a better quality all organic cotton covering. The Eco Terra is $1100 vs. $700 for the DreamFoam bed. Are we just spending $400 more for the same issues or would the more “medium” feel be better for support & feel? Have you reviewed this particular mattress?

We’ve looked at a lot the bed-in-a-box mattresses (there’s a ton out there) and YouTube reviews, all helpful. In fact the DreamFoam mattress we’re testing was rated the top one of 10 on one review. We both dislike sinking feeling of memory foams and want to stay away from all foam type beds for their synthetic feel, layering and potential off gassing. But maybe the gel foams are best for our aches and pains and tingling extremities. A bid consideration is the weight of the mattress so we want to keep it relatively thin - 12" max. Changing sheets on a heavy mattress or one that’s not flexible at the corners or half the bed comes up when you lift a corner is frankly a bitch. That’s something the reviewers never cover.

We’ve looked at the Lumina Pegasus, which you mentioned in one review but are concerned about all the relatively thin layers of different foams. Is that just hype or do they sever a greater purpose? This bed is similar to the Voila mattress made in China. Also isn’t it a fact that gluing all the layers together tends to trap heat and makes the bed sleep hot?

Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of bedding stores in the area to try out various off major brand mattresses other than the ones you suggest staying away from. Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Phil Pinol
Clearwater Beach, FL 33767.

Hi Phil P,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’ve found the site and I hope it is useful for you.

I’m sorry that you had a bad experience with your previous mattress. One thing that I would have you check is the state of your bowed slat platform bed, as over time these slats can lose their resilience and begin to sag and contribute to premature and excessive impressions in any type of mattress. Even if they are in good shape, they will change the feel of any style of mattress.

As there is no foam edge reinforcement system in this mattress, the springs would go out to the edge of the mattress, so you would feel the pocketed coils (a thicker cover quilted with more fiber can minimize this, but without a foam encasement you will still feel the springs to some extent). While industry standards are 76" x 80" for a king size, these are +/- 1", so the dimensions you have are within the normal range you’d find for a king mattress.

I don’t have the complete specifications of this model, but yes, this is common practice, especially with fabric-encased pocketed spring units.

A compressed mattress can “gain” in height a bit the first week or so after you have it (probably mostly in the quilt layer of this mattress), as the materials fully expand. Feeling “firmer” isn’t normal as a mattress breaks in, as there are not natural fibers that might tend to firm up over time. It could be a bit of the “settling” that a multiple layer compressed mattress will undergo after it is unwrapped, and the addition of the mattress pad and fitted sheet, which will also impact the comfort of any product.

Unfortunately, I would have no manner to diagnose the reasons for any discomfort you might be feeling and whether that would be a result of your physical condition, your mattress, or a combination of both. Although I do know I tend to get more aches as time goes on! There is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here .

Some of the discussions in the forum here can get quite technical, I know. There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”. To keep it simple, support is keeping you in good alignment and stopping you from bottoming out, and it most the responsibility of the deeper layers within your mattress. Firmness would generally be a term used to describe how hard something feels (plush, medium, firm), which is mostly determined by the uppermost layers within a mattress. It’s not necessary to differentiate between the two necessarily and know the definitions in order to pick out a mattress – I promise there will be no test at the end of this post! :lol:

While the construction of the Eco Terra is “similar” to the Ultimate Mattress, it’s also quite different. The spring unit is the Quantum Edge from Leggett and Platt and it has a different configuration and higher number of springs as compared to the Ultimate Dreams. Also, the 3" of latex is the only foam material on top of the spring unit. The certificate they link to for their latex lists it as Talalay in the FAQ on Amazon ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life Natural Cert 2016 - 2017.pdf?dl=0]certification.
, but they have import records from Arpico and the D75 rating they provide on their web site would be for Dunlop latex, so there is conflicting information there. Either way, it would be a durable material. The covering does seem to have a thicker FR backing. The mattress is available in a medium or a medium-firm comfort. There is no polyfoam quilt layer in this bed as in the Ultimate Dreams.

The spring unit would probably be a bit more expensive than the one used in the Ultimate Dreams, and the extra 1" of latex could also cost a bit more, but I can’t feel what you feel and I don’t know how you might like the feel of this product as compared to your current mattress.

I don’t review mattresses. I instead focus on helping people learn “how” to choose a product, not “what” to choose.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

“Gel foams” are usually just descriptors for memory foam layers with liquid gel or gel particles added to the foam.

A 12" thick mattress that is all-latex will be quite heavy, so the materials used in construction would be just as important as the overall thickness of the product. As this is a concern of yours, you’d want to inquire with any manufacturer s to the finished weight of their product before making any potential purchase decisions.

I had some comments 4 years ago about a few beds in their lineup, and what I was able to acquire in specifications were some very low density, lower quality polyfoams. I don’t know how that would compare to the current lineup, and you’d have to acquire that information from your local retailer. I’m not sure what you mean about “hype or a greater purpose”.

You can do a forum search on the Voila and read my comments about those products. Gluing layers together generally won’t have much of an impact upon the mattress sleeping temperature. The glue is use very sparingly and comes out in what looks like thin strands.

The best advice I could offer is for you to reset a bit on how you are going about looking for a mattress.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Tampa/ Clearwater/St Petersburg areas are listed in post #143 here .

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Appreciate the quick response and I apologize for not responding and thanking you sooner for your time and extensive comments, knowledge and experience.
You’ve provide a huge amount of info with your thoughtful comments and information in the links provided, particularly the discussion on mattress feel and corresponding “support” in post 2 and 4 and links to local stores. I was familiar with Pittsburg Mattress in Ellington, FL. as I discussed my latex bed with them and contemplated dragging the beast down there and having them dissect it to find the offending layer or layers and fixing it. Finally decided it wasn’t worth the travel and expense and donated it. Your point is well taken on the slats. Looking at them with the current mattress that weighs 100 – 110 lbs, there doesn’t seem to be a uniform leveling. Even though the representatives say the slats are fine, perhaps I should lay down some ¼" plywood sheets for a uniform surface.
With regard to the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams and Eco Terra specs. I believe Chuck at DreamFoam told me that the pocket coils they use were also Quantum Edge from Leggett and Pratt. The edge support is really quite good and I wasn’t looking for the foam encasement some mfgs use to beef up their edges like the Lumina Pegasus and others, just maybe some more padding to mask the spring edges rather than the thin cover. Some form edge supports are quite wide and I would think one might bottom-out when on the edge.
On the Eco Terra specs, I should have said that they offered to customize the mattress somewhat by replacing the 2.5 inches Dunlop latex with Talalay of any ILD of my choosing. The Ultimate Dreams uses 2 inches of 60/40 Talalay with an ILD of 19 that we found very soft at first. If we decide on the ECO Terra or even the Arizona Mattress’s Ultimate King (all three seem to be very similar in concept), I wondering if picking a medium Talalay, say ILD 22 – 26 would be slightly softer and springier than the same medium 22- 26 D75 Dunlop? However, I’m still wondering if I should just save the $$$ since the Ultimate Dreams and Eco Terra (and Ultimate King) seem so much the same.
You’re are absolutely correct is saying no one can feel what I feel or attest to the quality I think I see or don’t see… The hundreds of conflicting reviews bear that out with many people saying the soft they ordered was a rock hard and others saying it wasn’t soft enough or beautifully constructed or it was junk. But I do find sites like Sleepopolous, Mattress Insiders, etc., beneficial in that they do provide more details on the construction of the mattress being reviewed, materials and potential “feel” of a that particular mattress than might be available on the Mfgs’ website. I admit I do take notice when a product has received a preponderance of 5 star ratings vs. those with many, many one stars and negative comments and a mediocre average.
I mentioned the Sherwood Lumina Pegasus and found the attached cut-away section of it’s construction. Perhaps it will be useful to others as the retail store I visited said it was a very popular and well-made model. My comment about multiple layers in a mattress might merely be “hype” was really questioning whether or not that many thin or thick layers of foams of indeterminate quality really make a better bed or is it more of a sales strategy, i.e. more is better? To me it seems the more layers the more opportunity for some of them to breakdown and cause early on depressions. Oh and thank you for the setting the record straight on glue not being a factor in letting the mattress breathe and generating heat.
Again thank you for time, guidance and knowledge. :slight_smile:
:slight_smile:

Hi Phil P,

You’re most welcome – thank you for taking the time to say, Thank you!"

Placing a thicker layer of plywood/OSB on top of a slat network can help “even out” your support surface if there is an issue of the slats sagging too much with body weight upon the bed, although if the decking material is too thin you still may have a resulting depression. If you do go with a solid platform deck, you may wish to add a coir bed run to help promote airflow under your mattress.

Yes, there are quite a few Quantum Edge designs now in the Leggett and Platt lineup. They just recently expanded this line.

The proliferation of the use of the steel spring edge encasement versus foam has been brought about primarily by mattress brands wanting to make their mattresses “adjustable bed friendly”, as well as the demand for spring units that can be more easily compressed for shipment. I personally do like some of these new units.

A 19 ILD certainly would fall into the range of a very plush Talalay latex, although your comfort of course is a combination of all the materials used within a mattress.

Generally speaking, a piece of Dunlop latex in the same ILD as a piece of Talalay latex will tend to feel a bit firmer to most people. The initial 25% or so of compression in the Dunlop can feel just a bit more plush, but after that it “firms up faster” than the Talalay, resulting an overall higher compression modulus.

While knowing the layers within a mattress are important, unless you have details about those components (density, ILDs, blends…) you won’t be able to make an educated choice that will give you your best chance at having a quality product. As you said, someone saying a bed is “soft”, “hard” or “junk” won’t provide much meaningful information on its applicability to you.

Yes, that’s very much the case that consumers pay attention to reviews, especially “star ratings”, and marketers know that. I’ve seen some of the lowest quality foam products on amazon with thousands of 5 star ratings, which completely misrepresents the quality of those mattresses. It happens with all kinds of products.

Thanks for attaching the photo, which I also found in a few spots online. Unfortunately, there is no meaningful information about the foams used in the product, and the salesperson’s opinion aside, unless you know the densities of all of the foam layers in that product, you’d have no objective way of knowing if the product was a good product or not. The only thing you can tell is that there is a thin layer of latex on top of the sprung unit, which would generally be a durable material, and it is using a 638 marshall spring unit, which is more on the “basic” end of the Leggett and Platt spectrum.

If the density of the foam is good, I personally wouldn’t have a concern about durability. But without that information I’d advise caution against purchasing such an item.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Again, thanks for the quick response and feed back, especially since you took the time on a holiday weekend. Kudos and appreciation for your dedication in service to all those folks on this site.

Two quick follow-ups and I’m out of here. In the your comment responding to my thought of adding 1/4" of plywood over the slats you suggested I might consider adding a “coir bed run” between the plywood and the bed. Is that like a layer of say burlap to allow for some small space for ‘breathing’? Please clarify. Actually, I was thinking of drilling 10 to 12 or more 2" diameter holes spaced between the slats in the plywood to allow for the breathing and air flow.

Regarding the slats and my and the beds weight, it seems the slats are not defecting below the horizontal to form a concave curvature. They are deflecting somewhat but are still in a convex position. I was puzzled why I felt I was being pushed or rolled slightly to my left with my right side a bit higher than my left when lying on my back towards the center of the bed. The convex position of the slats especially from the center support was pushing me to the left. Not sure this was detrimental to the longevity of the mattress but it made a “odd” feeling.

We’ve pretty much decided on the pocket coil and latex configuration for our final purchase. In addition to the DreamFoam’s Ultimate Dreams (2" synth latex) , Arizona Mattress’s Ultimate King (3" NR latex), Eco Terra (2.5" NR latex), I’ve chanced on the Green Mattresses’ Natural Escape (3" NR latex) on this site. The Natural Escape seems to have a more sophisticated L & P pocketed coil system with 3 zones and heavier gage coils and edge support. The DreamForm bed is by far the lest expense at $700 while the other 3 are up into the $1300 -$1400 range plus shipping in some cases. I’m attracted tot be better L & P pocketed coil system that comes with the Natural Escape but my real question is does a 1/2" or 1" of Dunlop or Talalay in 2 or 3 inch top comfort layer make all that difference? Does an extra 1" of NR foam between the DreamFoam and say the Arizona Mattress with $500 or the 1/2" between the Eco Terra and the Green Mattress (excluding the supposedly better coils) worth $2- $300? While I’m not budget constrained, is that little extra 1/2" going to make a major difference in the quality of our comfort and health?

Thanks aging for you input and wish you an enjoyable rest of the weekend and President’s Day holiday, if you take it. :slight_smile:

Hi Phil P,

Thank you for your kind words.

Here is a coir bed rug. It’s made of coconut fiber and held together with a natural latex adhesive. It is firm and allows for air circulation beneath a mattress placed upon a firm, flat surface.

If you do that, you may wish to forgo the coir bed rug.

These bowed slats can perform as a bit of an active sleep surface and accept some of the load placed upon the mattress, and some of these slat systems are tension adjustable and they can change the feel of the mattress in certain areas, and their impact will be more noticeable when used in concert with thinner mattresses (see post #2 here). If the bow is substantial, adding the flat decking material may end up causing noise.

These are all questions that I can’t answer for you, as they’re all part of your own personal value equation. While price is certainly important of course, the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The value of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

With that being said, every change in layering will impact comfort. Going from 2" to 3" is a 50% increase in comfort material. You’ll tend to notice more of a difference between Dunlop and Talalay latex versus the difference between blended and natural. Aside from that, it really would come down to your own personal testing of a product. The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams you mentioned uses a blended Talalay. Based upon the firmness data on the Eco Terra site and their import records, I think they are using Dunlop (you’d want to call and confirm). The Arizona Mattress offers both Dunlop and Talalay. The My Green Mattress uses Dunlop latex.

I would make a list of the pros and cons of each product and then compare two at a time, looking at price, configuration options, ability to customize, totally overall componentry, Dunlop or Talalay, return policies, etc. Only compare two items at a time, and eliminate the “loser” from contention. You’ll eventually come up with your “winner”.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

As always I appreciate your quick responses since that last bit of info and/or advice to evaluate may be the one item that often tilts ones to go with option “C” in lieu of “A”, Your timely comments and feedback is important when one sets themselves a deadline to stop all the analysis and get on with it.

Thanks for the info on the coconut fiber mat to improve air flow. I would be kind of concerned about critters setting up shop in the mat underneath the bed so I think I’ll opt for my “holy” breathable plywood sheet if I can’t get the slats the straighten out properly.

I took your advice and did some 2 x 2 comparisons and evaluations and decided to go with the Eco Terra… The deciding factor was they kindly are upgrading the 2.5" latex comfort layer to 3 inches and changing the Dunlop to Talalay with an ILD of 22-24 or 26 and the price was right. Essentially its the same bed as the Arizona Mattress Ultimate King since they both have the L & P Quantum Edge coils and close to the MGM Natural Escape. I tried to speak with Tim at MGM but kept getting cut off and they didn’t bother to call back. That and the 3-Zone L & P heavier gage coils gave me some pause and might have accounted for some comments I saw saying the mattress was very firm despite the latex being ILD 18-22. And before you say it, yes, I do take those reviews and comments with a grain of salt . But I would think L & P’s Caliber Edge and/or Omni Touch heavier gage coils used in the MGM Natural Escape would generally make the bed firmer.

Fortunately, I have a few months to evaluate and test the bed and if I’ve made a major mistake, there’s no cost to return it as would be with the other 2 companies. Hopefully this will all work out and we’ll be sleeping on a cloud with minimal aches and pains. I’ll post a follow-up after about a week of hopefully blissful sleep.

Again, appreciate your invaluable comments and the wealth of info in this site.

Phil

Hi Phil P,

Congratulations on making a new mattress purchase decision! :cheer: I’ll look forward to your comments as you stated once you’ve had the mattress for a while.

While the gauge of wire is certainly an important part of the overall “feel” of an innerspring unit, it is just one thing to consider. You’ll also need to consider the profile (height) of the unit, the number of revolutions, any tapering, tempering, zoning, number of springs and coil diameter, just to name a few things. An innerspring with a thick gauge of steel can often feel softer than one using primarily thinner gauges of steel. And the foams placed on top of the innerspring, especially thinner layers of “softer” foam, can allow more of the innerspring to be “felt through” the foam comfort layers and con contribute to a feeling described as “firm”, where in other situations with firm form or thicker foam layers the same product would be described as having more “gentle” support. As you said, you have a few months to see if it all works out well for you (which I hope it does).

Phoenix

Phoenix,

After all this research and evaluation, it’ll come down to first impressions of sprawling on the mattress as soon as it’s puffed-up sufficiently. Just kidding…kind of. I’ll keep you posted.

Phil

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very interested in your thoughts on this as well!

Davo,
Not rue if this was directed to me (Phil) or Phoenix. In any case we’ll get our Eco Terra on Friday and I’ll post some early impressions for those that are interested.

The DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams (www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Bedding-Ultimate-Pocketed-Mattress) we tried out and are returning used the Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge pocketed coil system. We thought the mattress had very good edge support and we never heard any sound from the coils.

Phil

[quote=“Phil P” post=69275]Davo,
Not rue if this was directed to me (Phil) or Phoenix. In any case we’ll get our Eco Terra on Friday and I’ll post some early impressions for those that are interested.

The DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: amazon.com/DreamFoam-Bedding-Ultimate-Pocketed-Mattress.
we tried out and are returning used the Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge pocketed coil system. We thought the mattress had very good edge support and we never heard any sound from the coils.

Phil[/quote]

Phil, that was to you. Sorry about that. I’d be curious to hear about your experience on the eco terra. I did find out yesterday it’s the sister company of plushbeds

Hi Phil, what have your initial impressions been with the Eco Terra?

Davo & Phoenix,

First impressions of the Eco Terra are mixed. One of the things that did impress me is that it shipped the day I ordered it after the folks at Eco Terra were super helpful and did a little customization by giving me 3 inches of Talalay in lieu of the standard 2 1/2 inches of Dunlop. I believe the ILD was the same at 22 - 26 which may have been a mistake on my part because it’s pretty soft and I tend to sink in. with my 6’2" , 200 lbs frame. However, my wife with her 5’ 3" , 110 lbs frame thinks it’s “pretty firm”. So here we go again with personal impressions.

The mattress, ordered on Monday late morning EST arrived by FedEx on Friday. While it was vacuumed packed for shipping, what surprised me was it wasn’t folded (see pic) like our previous king-sized bed and what I’d seen on YouTube reviews. I always wondered if the compressing and folding of pocketed coils somehow might damage or bend the coils. The bed seems to be well made with its cotton covering and measures out at 75.5" x 80" x 11".

As far as sleeping and comfort, it’s to early to give a complete and fair personal evaluation. Was my first few nights blissful and did I wake up ache free in the mornings? Short answer is NO, not really. Do still have some lower back and shoulder aches, some tingling in the hands waking up and I feel some occasional compression against my hip bone when sleeping on my side. That said, I’ve always had back issues and think I was experiencing these same issues with the other beds we tried out in the early stages. The wife doesn’t seem to have the same issues. All I can say is stay tuned, I’ll report back in a few weeks.

Hi Phil P,

Thanks for the photos and update on the delivery of your product. That’s a pretty quick turnaround (and also a large box!).

When using the proper compressing machines, rolling the mattress like this will not damage the spring units. As a matter of fact, “compressed and rolled” is often how these spring units are shipped from the innerspring manufacturers to the mattress licensees for final assembly. Here’s an interesting video showing a roll of these spring being uncompressed. Innerspring units of all types of usually compressed greatly when transported from their manufacturing facilities, so I would have no concerns with your mattress and the compression it was under during transport.

Sounds good!

Phoenix

Hi Phil,

Just wondering how it’s gone, despite adding the softer top to it. This seems like an interesting mattress!

Fwiw, I ordered the medium-firm mattress on Friday and I hope that this ends my search for a mattress. I can update here after I’ve had it for a bit (or I can do that elsewhere as I don’t mean to hijack the thread).

Hi poetailor,

You’re welcome to comment back here if you like. I’ll be interested to learn of your comments once you’ve had a chance to sleep on the mattress for a while. Congratulations on your new purchase! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Poetailor,

Your comments and thoughts will be welcomed. You said you got the medium-firm that’s the 5.5 on a scale of 10 (firm), their standard with 2 1/2 inches o Dunlop latex or did you go with the Talalay? What size did you get?

You should get it in about 4 or 5 days. I was surprised as mine shipped from Eco Terra the day I ordered it. I had a little trouble opening it and made a mess of the plastic protector which I wanted to keep in case it had to go back. Good luck. I’ll post some feeling about the bed and sleep experience to date in a day or so.