Polyurethane Foam

I have read your info on polyurethane foam and have asked about this before. There is nowhere for me to go and try such an item. I will be brief and hope you can give me a brief and informed answer. I weigh 300 lbs. , yes, me again. I have had a too soft and too firm latex topper, I have had a 2" 5.0 density memory foam topper and a 3" 5.o memory foam topper and I have tried them separately and on top of each other. I am too heavy, They do not support my weight as they should. I was told I need a more dense topper so am considering these options: A HD polyurethane topper 2.8 density, ILD 35, support 1.9 or a HD 2.8 ILD 50, I believe that too has a support of 1.9. I am thinking of a 3" thickness for the first one and am thinking the second will bee too firm. I have called very many places and keep getting different answers. I would be ordering these from one of two locations online, both located outside of Detroit. I just need a simple recommendation as to how these would serve ma as a topper. Hope you can help!!! Thanks.

Hi smmimp14,

I don’t think there’s much I can add to my comments in my reply to your previous similar questions in post #2 here.

If you are planning to order from Foambymail (FBM) then I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything or considering them as a reliable supplier.

It’s very unlikely that a 2.8 lb density polyfoam would have a compression modulus of 1.9. Given your past comments as well I would also suggest that a 50 ILD topper would be too firm for you (this is usually used as a very firm support layer not as a comfort layer) and if you only have the choice between these two firmness levels (and assuming that you buy from them at all) then I would lean towards the softer IFD.

In the end the only way you will know whether any topper will “work” for you in combination with a specific mattress (which will be a big part of whether the sleeping system “as a whole” will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP) will be based on your own personal experience and I would make sure that any topper you purchase has a good exchange/return policy just in case the topper you choose doesn’t work out as well as you hope for.

Phoenix

Thanks Again for your information and help. The entry by the former employee was especially helpful. You save me from making a huge mistake.