Poor Alignment with My New Mattress

Hello,
This post is sort of a continuation of my mattress journey started in this post: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/proper-bed-slat-spacing-for-support-and-ventilation

Long story short, about 10 days ago, I purchased a Beautyrest Harmony Lux Medium mattress, and I find that it doesn’t keep my back in alignment whether I’m on my side or on my back. I’m 6 foot and 190 lbs, and primarily a side sleeper. When I tried out the mattress in the store, my hips did dip in the middle slightly when I was on my back (salesman still recommended this model since I’m mostly a side-sleeper and it has ample cushion layers for a medium), but I felt I was in alignment when I was on my side…in the store. I’ve only been sleeping on this mattress for about 10 days now, and I know that it can take 30 days to break in a mattress, but during that time I expect a new mattress to feel a little firm, not put my spine out of alignment from the get-go.

I’m planning to give it a 30 day trial, but I’m thinking I’ll need to exchange it for something that keeps my spine in better alignment. My previous mattress was a Beautyrest St. Caroline Luxury Firm (Recharge Plus line), which kept my spine in perfect alignment whether I was on my back or my side. The St. Caroline felt great on my back from the get go (felt like it had memory foam near that top layer which seemed to compress evenly), but felt firm when sleeping on my side during the first month break in period. After that it felt great. I only replaced it early because I believe it was sagging due to springs wearing out (I had it on a not very supportive slat system).

I do like the contouring feel of Beautyrest overall, but I’m wondering if you think my Harmony Lux Carbon will improve after break in, and if you could recommend another similar medium model that won’t give me alignment issues.

Thanks in advance!
zzzcatcher

Hi zzzcatcher.

Thanks for sharing the journey! Sorry to hear about the poor alignment on this new mattress. In short, no, I do not think that this is something that is going to get better after the break in period. As you yourself stated, your new mattress should not put your spine out of alignment from the get go.

You mentioned that in the store, you did feel in alignment. This COULD suggest, potentially, a problem with your bed frame.

If you move your mattress to the floor, does the alignment issue resolve itself or remain the same?

Is the St. Caroline Luxury Firm still in production?

NikkiTMU

Hi Nikki,
Thanks for your reply! No, the St. Caroline is no longer in production…

In the store I thought I felt I was in alignment when lying on my side, but it’s possible I overlooked what was actually going on. And I’ll give the new mattress a try on the floor to see if there’s a difference, but I’ve since upgraded the lackluster slats on my bed that caused the early wear on the St. Caroline. The new mattress is resting on 1x4 solid wood slats placed about 1 1/2 inch apart on the bed frame (with a metal center support (so exceeding the manufacture warranty requirements).

If it does look like I need to exchange the mattress, I was eyeing the Beautyrest Harmony HYBRID firm, as possibly a good medium firm option. Any thoughts on that model or any suggestions for something similar? …basically looking for a good combo/side sleeper mattress that’s good for preventing lower back pain.

Thanks,
-zzzcatcher

P.S. I just tried my Harmony Lux Carbon on the floor, and it feels the same as on my platform bed. (Please see attached pics)

Thanks,
Z

Hi zzzcatcher.

Sorry to hear the floor experiment also leads to the same problem! It definitely sounds like an exchange is in order.

As for the Harmony Hybrid - Firm, it’s hard to make much of a meaningful commentary on this mattress because Beautyrest doesn’t disclose foam densities. Their video states that they use some high-density foam, however, a 1.5 lbs/ft3 density HD foam is still a lower quality material that would raise a flag in terms of durability depending on where that foam lays within the mattress. (The closer to your body, the more likely you are to experience a premature foam breakdown).

I’m assuming you’re limited to the inventory in the store you purchased the original mattress from?

NikkiTMU

Hi Nikki,
Thanks for the confirmation that an exchange is looking like the best course of action : ) And, unfortunately, yes I am limited to the inventory from the story I purchased from. Since my last post, I was eyeballing a couple models from King Koil that said store has available. Was thinking these might be good options as something with good firm back support but also cushioning layers for when I’m on my side:

King Koil Luxury Crestline Firm Euro Top:

Better rest meets peace of mind in the King Koil Luxury collection. Designed to provide a luxurious sleep experience, thoughtful details merge with premium features for optimal comfort and all-night support. This International Chiropractors Association (ICA) endorsed mattress collection utilizes advanced coil technologies to promote better posture alignment while specialty foams regulate temperature and dispel motion for a deeper night’s rest for all.

Cooling Comfort Foam – AdvantaGel™ foam is an infusion of gel and resilient foam to deliver a cooler sleep with luxurious comfort and durability.
Cooling Memory Foam – Our iFusion™ Technology is a combination of open cell memory foam and pressure relieving gel resulting in an optimal temperature sleeping surface while still conforming to every curve of your body.
Super Stretch Tencel Fabric - A natural and breathable fabric that offers pressure relief at the surface of the mattress allowing the sleeper to benefit from the increased comfort and reduced motion below.
Pressure Relieving Support – The Contour Elite Encased Coil System features 858 independently encased coils which are designed to reduce motion disturbance and body pressure points giving you the ultimate in comfort and support.
Proudly designed & built in the USA since 1898
Mattress is adjustable friendly - works well on motion bases.
10 Year Non-Prorated Warranty
Mattress Height (Approx.) 13.5"

King Koil Luxury Crestline Plush Euro Top:

Product Specs

Better rest meets peace of mind in the King Koil Luxury collection. Designed to provide a luxurious sleep experience, thoughtful details merge with premium features for optimal comfort and all-night support. This International Chiropractors Association (ICA) endorsed mattress collection utilizes advanced coil technologies to promote better posture alignment while specialty foams regulate temperature and dispel motion for a deeper night’s rest for all.

Cooling Comfort Foam – AdvantaGel™ foam is an infusion of gel and resilient foam to deliver a cooler sleep with luxurious comfort and durability.
Cooling Memory Foam – Our iFusion™ Technology is a combination of open cell memory foam and pressure relieving gel resulting in an optimal temperature sleeping surface while still conforming to every curve of your body.
Super Stretch Tencel Fabric - A natural and breathable fabric that offers pressure relief at the surface of the mattress allowing the sleeper to benefit from the increased comfort and reduced motion below.
Pressure Relieving Support – The Contour Elite Encased Coil System features 858 independently encased coils which are designed to reduce motion disturbance and body pressure points giving you the ultimate in comfort and support.
Proudly designed & built in the USA since 1898
Mattress is adjustable friendly - works well on motion bases.
10 Year Non-Prorated Warranty
Mattress Height (Approx.) 13.5"

Please let me know your thoughts on the King Koil options. Also do Eurotops have the same inherent sagging issues that pillow tops do?

Thanks!
-z