pressed for time & live in a remote area . . .

Hi,

I’ve been meaning to start a mattress search for some months now because my very old Tempurpedic (12 or 13 y.o.) is, I think, either the cause of or a big contributor to hip pain (especially but not only at night) that is making me crazy.

I’ve loved my Tempurpedic but have recently become very, very wary of off-gassing as I’ve seen recent complaints about with Tempurpedic - I just have no tolerance for ‘smells’ anymore (have gone fragrance free w/ most products).

All of a sudden I feel pressed for time due to unexpected surgery coming up in 10 days possibly followed by treatments (chemo) & I don’t want to recover from surgery on a bed that makes my hips hurt.

I live in a small, remote town - our nearest shopping is 2 hours away in Grand Junction, CO (pop ~ 50k). There is a locally owned furniture store in my town but, after the research I’ve done recently, I think I was vastly overcharged for a guest room twin mattress I bought from them last year. So I don’t trust them.

I was able to squeeze in some mattress testing in Grand Junction between Dr appts recently - went to America’s Furniture Warehouse & a Denver Mattress Company store. I laid on numerous types & brands for at least 10-15 mins each but, honestly, they all kinda felt the same. I could tell the difference between those advertised to be firm or tight top vs the plush or pillowtops but didn’t walk away with any real big distinctions in my mind.

I’ve been very interested in & curious about latex - the only one I could find to try was at the Denver Mattress Co & it felt springier than I liked. I’m now very intrigued by hybrid latex/coil (or foam) types & like some of the Therapedics I’ve seen on-line.

The whole mattress thing is stressing me out on top of a bunch of other things I need to take care of in the next week or so (& I have to work). I guess I’m just kinda casting about for advice you’d give to someone in my position . . . i.e. short on time & long on distance from shopping/testing options.

Hi mistifa,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones.

You’ve probably seen this but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Grand Junction area are listed in post #2 here although there aren’t a lot of options in the area.

While there is no way to speed up the process of good research (and a sense of urgency is perhaps one of the most common reasons for buyers remorse after a purchase) … if you are comfortable with an online purchase then the optional step of buying online may speed up the process. There is a link in the tutorial post to a list of the members here that includes many that sell latex or latex hybrid mattresses with a wide range of designs, options, customization choices, and return or exchange policies and it would be well worth browsing their sites and talking to the ones that interest you the most on the phone.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I had read all the tutorials & articles on this site (even printed & highlighted!) - SO helpful! (Also listened to all the Beducation videos at Mattress To Go.)

I had an inspiration out of desperation last night & decided to flip my Tempurpedic mattress over so that the foam layer underneath the memory foam was on top . . . that actually helped quite a bit!

I’d searched these forums for shopping in my area but somehow missed the one you gave the link to - that helps a lot. Particularly with the idea that Denver Mattress might be worthy of a 2nd visit. After the first (& only) visit, I couldn’t quite tell if they were good or cheesy! :unsure:

I’ve just looked more carefully at their site & am now intrigued by their Telluride Plush (see specs at bottom) although I figure I need to take a day off work to go test it.

Another Denver Mattress option was their Doctor’s Choice line of foam/coil. For the comfort layer they list 2 identical layers of the same foam (specs just below) - do you have a sense why it would be constructed like that as opposed to just one 2 1/2" thick piece?

Doctor’s Choice
Quilt layers:
Micro Denier Jacquard Ticking
1 1/2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" BioFlex™ Soy Based Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
1¼" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1¼" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam

1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 750* Foam Encased
Pressure Response Zoned Coils
14.5 Gauge Twice Tempered Steel

Telluride Plush
Quilt Layers:
Stretch Knit Ticking
1½" 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" Bioflex™ Soy Based Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
2" Talalay Latex
1¼" 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 1080* Individually Wrapped, Foam Encased
Coils (Queen Size)
16 Gauge Tempered Steel
*ALL coil counts are based on Queen Size mattress coil counts.

Thanks again!

Hi mistifa,

It would either be cost savings (so they only have to keep one thickness on hand) or because two convoluted layers will feel and perform differently than a single layer (a single layer would only be convoluted on the top of the layer not in the middle and this would affect the feel and performance of the mattress).

Both of the mattresses you are considering use good quality materials and there are no obvious weak links in either one so a choice between them would be based on which one was the best “match” for you based on your testing for PPP and the parts of your personal value equation that were most important to you. The Telluride has 2" of latex under the top polyfoam quilting layers so it would probably have an edge in terms of durability compared to the Doctor’s Choice.

Phoenix

Ah, that makes sense about the 2 layers (both ideas you mentioned) - thanks for pointing that out.

And glad to get your take on those 2 mattresses - makes the decision to take a day off to go test them out even easier to make.

I’ve been telling friends about this site - one of the better on-line discoveries I’ve ever stumbled across!

Hi mistifa,

Good luck with your testing when you go back to Denver mattress … and thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Phoenix