Presto Organic Latex Split King

I’ve been doing some research into a new mattress and sounds like organic dunlop latex is a really nice option. We don’t have any mattress stores nearby that carry latex beds so the customization of the Presto is a nice safety net. Currently we have a soft memory foam mattress from sleep country and it has become a back breaker. Was nice for about 2 years and now, 2 years later, it’s unbearable. My question is whether the split king option does anything to help isolate movement in the way that memory foam behaves. I’m also wondering what are the effects of putting a soft layer at the bottom of the Presto. It seems counter intuitive to me. I understand it would make the bed firmer but seems like you’re just eliminating that layer from the support structure.

Hi scallywag1945,

Yes, it will! Plus latex does help to isolate movement as well. It’s important to note that you may have a small crease in the center is you choose a split king ( 2 x twin xl layers inside a KING cover). You can alleviate this buy substituting 2 x twin xl soft layers for a KING layer as your top layer. Simply let us know when you place your order, and we’ll be happy to do this at no extra cost to you.

Correct, by eliminating a soft layer, you make the mattress firmer. In latex, the thicker the mattress the softer it will feel. So the only way to firm up the Presto mattress is to remove a softer top layer by placing it under the firm core and therefor eliminating that layer (while keeping it inside the mattress so that it remains a 10" thick mattress). This rearrangement will keep more firm layers closer to your body and therefor make the mattress firmer.

Did I answer all your question?

Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!

Mario

Thanks for the reply, Mario.

I’m still not convinced either way with regards to the split option. Having never slept on a latex mattress, I’m not sure how well it isolates movement.

I don’t think we would need to customize each half of the bed separately and, as you pointed out, the crease in the middle would probably be annoying. Having a single piece top layer would negate the crease but also limit how you are able to customize the layers.

Are there preferred or more popular ways of layering the presto? It seems like some of options involving moving the 4" base layer up nearer to the top are fairly extreme but maybe that’s just me not understanding how the density layers work with each other.

Thanks,

Tyler

Hi scallywag1945,

In a standard mattress, Organic dunlop does an average job at isolating movement. However when the layers are split inside the mattress (not connected to each other), it will do an excellent job.

Most side sleepers prefer to have the 2 x 20 ILD soft layers on top. Organic dunlop is dense and offers exceptional support, so even with 4" of soft dunlop on top of the bed it’s still quite supportive. Back and stomach sleepers tend to choose either the 20 ILD top followed by the 30 ILD centre layer and the 40 ILD core, or simply the 30 ILD top followed by the 40 ILD core.
The most extreme configuration is placing the 4" firm core on top, which will make the mattress very firm, for sleepers that enjoy a hard surface.

If possible, we suggest to go to a local store and try a dunlop latex mattress to see if you like the feel of this unique material. Then, you can consider the Presto organic customizable latex mattress. With 9 comfort and support options, the chance of finding the support and comfort that’s right for you is far superior with the Presto than a standard organic latex mattress.

All the Best!
Mario

If I am looking for a medium feel, is there an advantage to going with the Unison, which has a 6" firm base? Would Presto replicate that feel by layering 2" soft, 2" medium, 4" firm, 2" soft? Just wondering if there is any advantage to going with the Unison over the Presto…
Thanks

Hi scallywag1945,

The layers of the Unison are glued, so you cannot rearrange the layers if ever you do not like the feel of the mattress. Its important to note that the feel of an organic dunlop latex mattress will change with use. Usually the break in period last about 3 months and afterwards the mattress will remain stable. So the mattress you like now, may not feel the same down the road. If you buy the Unison and it softens to a point which you no longer enjoy the support, there’s nothing you can do to firm it up, since the layers are glued together.
However if you have a Presto, you can simply rearrange a few layers and find the support you enjoy.
If you prefer to have a 6" firm core ( 4" + 2") to give it firmer feel, we can do that for you at no extra cost, we will simply swap one of the 2" soft layers for a firm one.

This way you will have the same configuration as the Unison, but with the convenience of the Presto so that you can fine tune your comfort and support preferences if needed.

All the Best!

Mario

Thanks again, Mario. You are doing a great job answering my questions. After a lot of hooing and hawing, I think I am leaning toward the standard set-up Presto with the 2 soft layers. Is it possible to swap one of the shredded latex pillows for a contour pillow? I can’t choose the contour on the website for this mattress.

Tyler

Hi scallywag1945,

Actually we’re out of dunlop shredded latex pillows and are swapping them for the dunlop organic contour pillows at no extra cost until mid February 2019.

All the Best!

Mario

Order placed! Thanks for the help!
Tyler

Thank you for the business, we appreciate it!

all the best

Hi,

I seem to be in the same situation as you regarding possibly switching up a layer in the Presto. How did the mattress turn out for you in the standard config? I’ve sent a few emails to Mario at MFC and hes been a big help but am still on the fence about layering option.

Hi Stefan416,

Thanks for your kind words. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
I am not sure if scallywag1945 is still monitoring this thread but I’d also be interested to know if they they are still sleeping well on the last configuration we suggested.

Let’s hope she gets the notification of this new post and takes the time to let us know.

All the best

Mario

Overall I’d say I’m pretty happy with the mattress. I really liked the feel of it when it first arrived in the standard format of soft-soft-medium-firm. After a month or so it softened up significantly and didn’t have the springy supportive feel that it had initially and after several months there were noticeable indentations on each side where my wife and I end up most of the time (we are both tall and light people.) This is with rotating the bed regularly. We’ve had the mattress for about 7 months or so now and I just reconfigured the layers slightly to get a bit more support so now it is soft-medium-soft-firm. Hopefully it doesn’t continue to soften. I will also say this type of material is very awkward to move around. Do not remove it from the box until it’s close to where the bed will end up. It is also a pain to remove and shuffle the mattress layers but not impossible. I also find that the edges of the layers don’t align perfectly on the edges of the mattress so it looks a bit wanky. The softer layers seem to overhang slightly on all sides. I think if you knew what feel you were going to get once broken in it would be better to get a mattress that is glued together.

Hope this helps!

HI scallywag1945,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your Presto Organic Latex Mattress and we’re pleased that you’re happy with your mattress

The real comfort and support issues often appear after the initial 90 day trial period when the break in period is over, as the top layers start to deteriorate. The softening and minor indentation of top layers for latex / foam mattresses is considered as normal in the industry. The good news is that when the 3-6 month break-in period is over, the mattress will not soften up much anymore. Since you bought a Presto customizable mattress, you can now simply rearrange a few layers and firm it up as you want, as with a conventional latex mattress (glued layers) you’d have to live with a softer mattress.

Thank you for pointing this out! You’re right, organic dunlop latex is very heavy and has no body. We now offer to ship the mattress in individual layers to facilitate shipping and handling inside the home.

We agree that it can be a small challenge at first especially in a King size mattress. However we believe that it’s more convenient to shuffle a couple of layers to firm up the mattress, rather than having to buy a new mattress that has become too soft for use after the break-in period.

Organic dunlop latex is different to all other mattress materials. Each layer is hand made in small family farms to Asian standards. Therefor the layers are not perfect in size, texture and colour, unlike polyurethane foam which is made with chemical formulas that ensure each one is exactly like the next. In my experience once the layers are placed inside the tight fitting cover they do not shift, and they give the edges of the mattress a rounded look, compared to the square / angled look of conventional mattresses.

We agree, but unfortunately there’s no way to know, as there are too many variables to consider…

Thank’s again for taking some time out to share your experience with your Presto Customizable Organic Dunlop Latex Mattress

All the best

Mario

[quote=“scallywag1945” post=82593]Overall I’d say I’m pretty happy with the mattress. I really liked the feel of it when it first arrived in the standard format of soft-soft-medium-firm. After a month or so it softened up significantly and didn’t have the springy supportive feel that it had initially and after several months there were noticeable indentations on each side where my wife and I end up most of the time (we are both tall and light people.) This is with rotating the bed regularly. We’ve had the mattress for about 7 months or so now and I just reconfigured the layers slightly to get a bit more support so now it is soft-medium-soft-firm.

Hope this helps![/quote]

So glad you saw my post! Very interesting. I was considering not having the two soft layers and switching one to something else. Mario at MFC had suggested a firm in its place. So S/M/F/F/F which sounds like a good option although I dont know if I’d ever then switch the soft and medium ever. Alot of mattress use the 6 inch core which would be the same type of thing.

Regarding the impressions, that does seem kind of premature no? Their warranty states a minimum of 1.5 inches for warranties which seems like alot. I know Tempurpedic is 0.75 but that’s not the same stuff at all.

Regarding the differing dimensions, I understand that latex is a little weird to deal with but sloppy cuts are a different matter. I stopped in to a local store and tried some GreenSleep models and they also have a layered system that isnt glued. They are actually individually put into cotton socks as well which is a nice addition.

How do you sleep? I’m personally 5ft-10 160lbs, wider shouldered, small waist. Tend to sleep on my side or stomach. I think I like more of a medium firmness mattress. Definitely not into the sloppy super sunk in feeling all too much. I like the Tempurpedic teal firmness which is their middle firmness I beleive.

Hi Stephan416,

Since organic dunlop latex does soften up quite a bit in the first 3 months, you may want to switch one of the 20ILD soft layers to a 30ILD medium layer if you prefer a firmer mattress.

This is not premature an expected from these types of mattresses. 1.5" is standard in the industry, you can compare with Savvy rest for example that also only cover visible indentation greater than one and one-half inch.

We don’t include individual organic cotton sleeve on each layers for several reasons:
1-Cost savings
2-The layers stick together better and you get less shifting of the layers because of the stickiness of latex on latex
3-It’s not really needed as the layers are inside a cover already and you will probably only handle the layers a few times and then never open up the cover again
4-We do offer them if you want them, the cost is $40 per layer in a Queen size.

You will never get the same feeling out of a pure rubber mattress than you will from a Tempurpedic. Organic dunlop is the most supportive mattress material available, and has a high pushback factor. You will not sink into the mattress and will feel supported.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

regards

I hope I didnt come off as knocking MFC. I’m definitely not. Offering a latex mattress at your price points is a KILLER deal! Those stores I had visited had price points of 3000-5000( with an equivalent thickness and adjustable model going for around 4000). If your reasonably confident in what layering you want then MFC is right at the top it seems. For me its know what to order that currently hanging me up hence why I’m trying out the firmness option locally first :slight_smile:

This is an older post, but it seems the most appropriate one for me to add a comment.

I purchased the Presto Organic Latex Split King from @MFC and my wife and I couldn’t be happier with it. It’s extremely comfortable, and I love the option of being able to switch out the layers when the materials eventually degrade. We had visited a local furniture store that sold a latex bed but it was a bit more expensive and the layers were glued together. I felt the Presto would be best to give us more flexibility in the future. The layers came in separate boxes, two layers per box, so it was very easy to move the layers up to our second floor and into the bedroom. Putting the layers in the case is a bit fussy, but with some patience everything fit snuggly.

Mario at @MFC was great to work with. He answered all my questions, and responded to emails promptly. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again. Thank you, Mario!