Price Differential/Value/Quality question - likely highly subjective

I want to apologize upfront for the likely long post, but I’ll try to keep it short.

Background -
My wife and I currently sleep on a 12+ year old Sterns&Foster King innerspring that has seen better days. I’m 6’3", around 300lbs and need a very firm mattress. My wife is 5’4" and less than half my weight. She prefers a very soft/plush mattress. Needless to say, we are looking at 2 twin XL mattresses to replace our King (even if put into a King encasement).

I’ve only recently become aware of Latex as a mattress material, but have done significant research over the last 1.5 weeks, particularly on this forum. I’m convinced I want a latex mattress. However, we are very budget conscious and my wife is fairly set on only buying a bed that she has already laid on in a store. She is also very partial to innerspring mattresses.

Anyway…I have already purchased one 3" firm twin XL topper (blended Talalay) to experience (it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow). I have also purchased a (special order) 3" quilted cotton and wool encasement from SleepEZ. At this point, I envision (at least for my twin XL) a 9" Talalay mattress with cotton stretch encasement and a 3" Talalay topper in the SleepEZ cover. I’m hopeful that my wife might be open to a similar twin XL for her side.

I think I’m almost to my question…

I purchased my 3" firm topper from Ultimate Sleep for $182 (no tax+free shipping). I’m told the source is Latexco and the shipping originated in Lavonia, GA (Latexco’s plant?). Their website indicates the firm ILD as 34-40. This is a blended Talalay. They also offer (all 3" twin XL) soft 14-19 ILD for $148, medium 22-29 for $161, and medium-firm 28-30 ILD for $171.

The other source I am considering is KTT Enterprises. I have exchanged e-mails with Nancy (very nice) and she has been very helpful. Apparently, there is a very close familial relationship between KTT and Latex International/Talalay Global. KTT sources latex from LI, but also fabricates foam using a “modified Talalay process”. Unlike Ultimate Sleep, their pricing is a flat amount per linear foot, but they appear to offer a wider range of densities. Specifically, 14-19 ILD, 20-24 ILD, 25-29 ILD, 30-34 ILD, 35-40 ILD and 41-45 ILD for blended Talalay. A 3" twin XL from KTT is $205, but does not include shipping.

Both offer comfort exchanges with returned shipping.

So, the short question is…Is the higher price for more varied densities worth it? For me, I’m intrigued by the KTT 41-45 ILD as my base, but will likely use the 34-40 ILD from Ultimate Sleep for my other 6" in the 9". But then I’m left wondering if the 28-30 ILD from Ultimate Sleep for the top layer is too soft. But I’ll leave the actual mattress structure for another post.

I’m really wondering if anyone can provide practical experience with either KTT or Ultimate Sleep. Is latex from either Latexco or LI/Talalay Global “more durable” in a particular density? Should I be concerned about the broad medium range from Ultimate Sleep/Latexco?

Is there a concern of mixing/matching latex from 2 different sources within one mattress?

I don’t want to be completely price driven, but unless the greater variety of densities from KTT is worth the added cost and shipping, I will likely lean towards Ultimate Sleep.

Thanks,

Shaun

Hi shaungregory,

You’ve probably read it already but just in case you haven’t the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The process of looking for a mattress would involve the same steps in the tutorial for someone who is heavier as someone who is lighter but you will likely need firmer materials than average, possibly a thicker mattress, and you would need to put a greater emphasis on more durable materials as well. Post #3 here also has more information that would be helpful for those with larger or heavier body types.

You can read some comments about the Ultimate Sleep latex topper in post #4 here and as you can see it almost certainly isn’t Talalay latex. An exact term site search on “Ultimate Sleep” (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well and you are certainly not the only one that was deceived about the type of latex you were purchasing.

I think highly of KTT Enterprises and they are owned by Frank Coffey who is the son of one of the founders of Latex International so he is very experienced and knowledgeable and has been in the business for a long time. Both Frank and Maureen there are good people and very knowledgeable about latex. They sell all the types and blends of latex that are made by Talalay Global (previously Latex International) although they don’t make it themselves. They also manufacture a modified Talalay latex but it’s not used for consumer mattresses. A forum search on KTT (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. They are very knowledgeable and reliable Talalay latex suppliers with good prices.

Hopefully my comments about Ultimate Sleep will answer this since they aren’t selling the same material and the latex from Ultimate Sleep is a much lower cost version of latex.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but again these are not apples to apples comparisons since they don’t sell the same type of latex…

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP as a reference point (the same type and blend of latex in the same thickness and firmness levels and a very similar cover which can also make a significant difference to the feel and performance of a mattress) or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick reply. Greatfully, I was able to cancel my Ultimate Sleep order.

Looking forward to a new topper from KTT.

Shaun

Hi shaungregory,

I’m looking forward to your feedback and finding out how your DIY mattress works out for you.

Phoenix