pricing - i may be way off here

so found a good mattress that meets all criteria after shopping today. now the big question. $600 for a full set. is a pocket coil encased 8" with 13 gauge steel tempered; 3" 1.5lb polyfoam comfort layer; cotton quilt with 2" 1.5lb polyfoam. ,y gut feel is this is too much money for this quality. but need a “reality” check from the people on this site

Hi domiagnew,

The “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to the other “finalists” you are comparing it to, on the other mattresses that are available in your area or are available online (if you are open to considering an online purchase), and also depends on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

I would be very cautious here because even if you have carefully tested the mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post and it’s a good match for you … there is 5" of 1.5 lb polyfoam in the comfort layers and quilting of this mattress which is lower quality/density than I would be comfortable with in a one sided mattress and could be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability and the more rapid loss of comfort and support over time (the the foam quality/density guidelines here).

I would also keep in mind that even though the loss of comfort and support is the main reason that most people will need to replace a mattress … this isn’t covered under a mattress warranty which only covers defects in the mattress (see post #174 here).

Phoenix