pritchard ultra firm full mattress from costco - desperate

:frowning: My entire upper body has been in agony. I sleep fine until I wake in the night and have to get up briefly. I feel as if my bones are being crushed…my ribs - everything is excruciatingly painful. It takes some time to be able to straighten and walk. Then I return to bed until morning and go through the same procedure again - but once I get into the shower I am ok.

I have read so many of these posts as well as your genuinely helpful responses and descriptions, but I was so confused as to what to do and was afraid to buy a mattress from a company that might give me trouble with returns, so I only bought a 3 inch memory foam topper from Costco. And that was great for a few months but the pain has begun again.

I was wondering what you thought of the Pritchard Ultra firm full mattress from Costco. I have a platform bed and did not plan to buy a box spring. This is the way they describe the layers. What do you think? I am desperate. Thank you so much for what ever you are able to offer me.
ChrisM

Support System

Posturepedic® Apex™ Coil
SolidEdge™ HD System
SupportFlex™ Base
LiftRight™ Surround Handles

Quilt Layers

Luxurious Knit Cover
FlameGuard™ Rayon Fiber
ActiveFlex®

Comfort Layers

Marvelux®
ActiveFlex®
Gel Memory Foam
CoreSupport™ Center with Gel Memory Foam

I didnt find marvelux and active flex on your post. I only know you dont like Sealy posturepedic which this is, but the reviews are very good and so is the price of $689

Hi chrism,

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the Sealy mattress you are considering).

If you follow the 5 steps and the guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial one at a time you will quickly narrow down your choices to the better ones and eliminate over 90% of the mattresses in the industry (and probably more) so you can focus your time and efforts on the better possibilities that are the most suitable, the most durable, and the best “value” for you based on all the criteria that are most important to you.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

I can only speak to the quality and durability of the materials because the only way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is based on your own actual experience. Unfortunately the information you posted doesn’t provide any meaningful details about the mattress or the quality of the materials inside it so I can’t make any specific comments about the quality or durability of the mattress but I can make some more generic comments (see latex in this reply). If you could provide the information listed here then I would be able to make some more specific comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole or help you identify any “weak links” in the mattress but it’s not likely that you will be able to find out the information you would need to make an informed choice and all of the Posturepedic mattresses use lower quality materials and have weak links in their design.

You can also see my thoughts about buying a mattress from Costco in post #4 here.

Activeflex is just a name they use for a range of different polyfoam layers that they use in their mattresses that are pre-compressed and includes their hypersoft, supersoft, high performance, and marvelux foams. Most of them are lower quality materials that in some cases are as low as 1.15 lb density and are typically under 1.5 lb density. Even the “best” of them is the marvelux which is a firm 1.7 lb polyfoam and this is still a little lower quality/density than the foam density guidelines I would suggest using in post #4 here which means that their mattresses which use these materials and other lower quality/density foams as well (which includes the entire Posturepedic line) would have a weak link in their design in terms of durability and I would avoid them all.

Phoenix